Oregon Bear Draw

Called ODFW about leftover tags this morning. I was told for the first time in that particular employees 24yr career at ODFW that this was the first year ever she has seen that there wasn’t a single leftover tag from any unit. Was surprised and a little disappointed as I was hoping to pick up an extra spring tag. How’d everyone do for oregon?

Oregon

WKR
Got my local unit. Last year was first year it had more applicants than tags. Now being the entire state a draw is going to kinda suck.
Look at the stats of the coastal units. Only around 30% hunt a bear tag. Ridiculous. They draw “just in case” and deny folks who actually take it serious. I can see the hill I kill my bear from my house, but the PDX crowd now wants a tag just to say they have a tag.
The year I get denied I’m going to be pissed!
Look at odds who draw deer/elk and who don’t hunt....like 95% hunt.
April and May walks through the woods with a high powered rifle is pure therapy.

OP
D
I agree, to many people putting in just to have that pocket tag.. not to mention a few years ago the animal rights groups putting in for tags and buying the OTC southern Oregon tags just to stop people from hunting. There were almost a 1000 leftover tags last year.. seems like something is up, doesn’t seem like it adds up.

CampCook

FNG
I started putting in for spring bear tags on the east side a few years ago after they started shortening the spring salmon fishing each year. Unfortunately I can only get a tag every two to three years. This year I was lucky enough to draw the tag, now I just need the snow to stop falling and start melting so I can get in and hunt.

slick

WKR
Friend and I both put in for SW tag 1st choice. No points. Both drew. Have been seeing tracks lately. Nothing real big though.

Friend and I both put in for SW tag 1st choice. No points. Both drew. Have been seeing tracks lately. Nothing real big though.
What elevation are you seeing tracks? Just found out I’m going to start a new job in coos bay starting sometime in April. I’ve been virtual scouting and planning a hunt down around the siskiyou national forest. 1500-4000 feet elevation. But now going to start trying to find something closer to coosbay since I’m going to be there for a month.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys think this hunt is possible for going out solo? I would love to try a spring hunt but am concerned with getting the animal out if I were to shoot one

A buddy and myself drew the S Blue Mtns tag with 0 points. Excited that Grizzly and Ochoco units are now a part of that tag.
Neither of us have ever done it but we are geared up to spend a lot of hours behind the glass.

I drew my first spring bear tag (south central) and am really looking forward to it. Any advice would be spectacular!!! Ready to Spend some time behind my binos, as well as hitting some logging roads

I didn’t draw but was thinking of putting in next year
you should if you plan on hunting the tag. there is absolutely no reason to not go solo. my sister in law draws almost every year, and hunts solo, and has killed a couple really good bear (last year she killed a big old boar that was coming at her about 30yds and closing, hit him between the eyes and dumped him) I have never had that exciting of a bear hunt, it's the lions that like me more.

she never has to deal with a bear alone, but she has never had an issue killing stuff solo. her first spring bear was a dandy, big light muzzled boar, I raced 4hrs home to help her, and we got it all packed up to her pickup by about 2am.... there is usually someone who will help if you aren't comfortable doing it by yourself, but getting a bear out yourself isn't that big of a deal, just stay aware of where you are at, some places I see bear in the spring aren't worth packing that particular bear out of.... i'm not going to shoot a 200lb bear that's feeding at the top of a slide chute, knowing it will roll down the 700ft of elevation to the bottom and pile up in a tangle of vine maple and salmon berry..... if it's a good enough bear i'll throw caution to the wind even though it will suck.

bear like feeding on really steep grades, and there isn't much that will stop a bear from rolling to the bottom, so figure you will be packing him out of the bottom of the hill he's feeding on, that's usually how it will work out.

spring bear hunting is a fun hunt, the woods are so alive in the spring, and you get to see so much. it's the only tag i'm not bummed to eat, it takes a really good bear for me to shoot in the spring.... if I kill one, that's it, no more spring bear hunting, and I like hunting spring bear more than killing them.

I lived the PERFECT spring bear season a few years ago, I found sign of a pig at some point, had one encounter with him that didn't pan out, then on the very last evening I spotted him about 450yds away, and I didn't want to shoot that far at last light so I made a run for it, and knew if I saw him again, it would be close! well, I got over there and couldn't see him now that I was on the same level as him rather than the advantage I had of elevation.... didn't know where he was until the little fir trees started parting coming right at me... that's all I could see was the little firs shaking from about 30yds coming right my way, he came into the open and turned broadside at 12 steps and I shot him..... when I shot he ran almost right at me as i'm trying to work the bolt and he passed me almost touching distance before I could rack another shell, he went down about 30yds below me and moaned out.... I got him opened up and airing out and a buddy and I packed him out the next day. not my biggest scoring bear, but the heaviest one I have killed to date, and they are excellent eating...it was an incredible end to a season of hard hunting, and turned me into a spring bear fanatic.... definitely do it if you plan on hunting, it's very doable solo.springbear.jpg

I started putting in for spring bear tags on the east side a few years ago after they started shortening the spring salmon fishing each year. Unfortunately I can only get a tag every two to three years. This year I was lucky enough to draw the tag, now I just need the snow to stop falling and start melting so I can get in and hunt.
Still snowing in the blues this morning, sorry.

The blues got a lot of snow on top, where most of the forest service access roads are. The logging roads may be blocked into late May. Most guys get into the Walla Walla unit on ATVS, even snow machines and then look into the canyons.

lintond

WKR
The blues got a lot of snow on top, where most of the forest service access roads are. The logging roads may be blocked into late May. Most guys get into the Walla Walla unit on ATVS, even snow machines and then look into the canyons.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew access is limited until later in May. Hoping the Corona doesn’t kill my plans. My hunting partner is the one who has the ATV. If he can’t go I might have some challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live About 1/2 way up, mileage not elevation. While my yard is now free of old snow, there is still plenty in the trees. I’m only at 3,500 feet. You want the roads clear at 5000 feet. It’s only the end of March so a lot can happen. Two years ago was fair access, last year had three feet of snow on Easter at my house. There are some good ones up there.
send me a PM later in April I’ll let you know what I’m seeing.

Got my local unit. Last year was first year it had more applicants than tags. Now being the entire state a draw is going to kinda suck.
Look at the stats of the coastal units. Only around 30% hunt a bear tag. Ridiculous. They draw “just in case” and deny folks who actually take it serious. I can see the hill I kill my bear from my house, but the PDX crowd now wants a tag just to say they have a tag.
The year I get denied I’m going to be pissed!
Look at odds who draw deer/elk and who don’t hunt....like 95% hunt.
April and May walks through the woods with a high powered rifle is pure therapy.
I know there are some groups right now working with ODFW to possibly open spring bear up to a general tag with unit kill quotas, in my opinion this would be the best system and more beneficial to hunters that truly love bear hunting.