Oregon Bear Success

sroemmich

FNG
Got it done on Saturday! We decided to try a new area and as we hiked in discovered grass was not what we had hoped. Some sign, so we were hopeful. As we reached the very top found a nice meadow under some cliffs, I glassed the hillside. Not seeing much we decided to give the predator call a shot.

I was messing around with my crap to get all setup and I hear my buddy say BEAR!!!, I pulled my binoculars back up and could see the bear moving through the cliffs. Looked good, and that coat!!! I dropped down grabbed my rangefinder 220 yards, chipshot. Laying down found it in my scope, I twisted the magnification ring, still looked good, I jacked a round in the chamber.

As I settled the crosshairs everything felt great. Slowly squeezing the trigger...
CLICK, what? In the excitement I short stroked the bolt
facepalm.gif

Starting over I settled myself down. When through the whole procedure again. Crosshairs settled, let out one last breath and squeezed.

BANG, flop. Not even a twitch.

High fives and Hugs given, we then started assessing the situation. The bear was just below the summit in between cliffs surrounded by rockslides, brush and snow. We made a plan, and eventually worked our way up.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9993.jpg
    IMG_9993.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 129
That’s awesome! Great coat. Sausage and burger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

sroemmich

FNG
That’s awesome! Great coat. Sausage and burger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have about 40 lbs of meat about to go into summer sausage and pepperoni, and I am making Hams out of the back legs.

Gonna be a busy weekend.

JohnnyB

WKR
Nice bear! Sounds like a clean kill. Do you mind sharing more about the shot? Caliber, aiming point, actual point of impact, complete pass through, any bones? Much appreciated.

OP
S

sroemmich

FNG
Nice bear! Sounds like a clean kill. Do you mind sharing more about the shot? Caliber, aiming point, actual point of impact, complete pass through, any bones? Much appreciated.

Rifle is a 6.5-06 built by Cold Barrel Precision
Deviant hunter action
26" Proof Sendero Barrel
Timney Trigger
Bell and Carlson stock with the Barrel Channel opened up and inlayed with Carbon.
143 ELD-X @3030 fps

POA 3-4" forward and High of bears center. Impacted a little higher than I expected (I was shooting up at a very steep angle) Hit Spine and lights out. Exit hole was about an 1" to 1-1/2".

Great Bear Sroemmich! Has anyone had any success in Oregon this fall? I've been looking pretty hard and saw tons of sign when the berries were still out, but haven't caught sight of a single bear yet. I got my buck the other morning so I'm back to looking for bear. just curious if anyone has had success this fall or know of anyone who has.

Got it done on Saturday! We decided to try a new area and as we hiked in discovered grass was not what we had hoped. Some sign, so we were hopeful. As we reached the very top found a nice meadow under some cliffs, I glassed the hillside. Not seeing much we decided to give the predator call a shot.

I was messing around with my crap to get all setup and I hear my buddy say BEAR!!!, I pulled my binoculars back up and could see the bear moving through the cliffs. Looked good, and that coat!!! I dropped down grabbed my rangefinder 220 yards, chipshot. Laying down found it in my scope, I twisted the magnification ring, still looked good, I jacked a round in the chamber.

As I settled the crosshairs everything felt great. Slowly squeezing the trigger...
CLICK, what? In the excitement I short stroked the bolt
facepalm.gif

Starting over I settled myself down. When through the whole procedure again. Crosshairs settled, let out one last breath and squeezed.

BANG, flop. Not even a twitch.

High fives and Hugs given, we then started assessing the situation. The bear was just below the summit in between cliffs surrounded by rockslides, brush and snow. We made a plan, and eventually worked our way up.
Congrats on the nice bear, fellow oregon hunter here high casecade area I take it.