Oregon Blacktail advice

Kimbersig

WKR
Hey all, Since I haven't draw jack this year except for doe antelope in Wyoming, I'm thinking going to Oregon to try my hand at blacktails is the best option. I have killed mule deer, whitetails, coues, and Sitka blacktail so all I have left is a Columbia blacktail. "insert not after anyones honey hole line" I'm really just looking for a fun hunt with a chance at a decent buck. I'm looking more at SW Oregon but my mind could always be changed. I haven't picked a unit yet but I have narrowed it down to a few. If anyone knows SW Oregon and would be willing to chat about the different units in general terms I'd appreciate it! I've been to Portland but that is my extent of visits to Oregon but being in Idaho now I can and plan on going over to do a little scouting before season or may just go earlier in the season and hunt more days. Any advice from anyone on tactics and how hunting Columbia blacktails would be different from any of the above species that I've been successful in hunting? I'm a strong back pack hunter so I plan on taking that gear but I was also thinking of taking a nice base camp with wood stove to dry out gear. Most likely I'll be doing this solo this year.

I can provide advice and help folks with info on my experience with the above species as well as lots of experience with hunting all species in NM and some in Idaho.

thanks!

Oregon

WKR
OTC blacktail is a pretty simple hunt. Finding them can be the hard part, but no different than any other deer that blends in to its surroundings.
I used to be extremely familiar with SW Oregon back in the 90’s. Mainly the Tioga and Siuslaw units. Those units have good public land and private timber land open to walk in. Tioga does have extensive Weyerhaeuser land that you have to pay to play and I believe you had to pay by mid June.
Most the hiking is done on logging roads, or slipping through timber.
Far SW like the Rogue and Chetco has a ton of acres of public, big roadless country. I know nothing about. They did just have a 200k acre Fire down there last year.
Hopefully more folks chime in, but one thing I can say is it is very doable, not that difficult and buy a bear tag.
Last 10 days of season are best.

Alls I have left is Coues. Maybe one day we talk NM Coues?

Oregon

WKR
Just like any hunt I’ve ever done in areas I’ve never laid eyes on. Study maps, pack lunch, go hunt in areas that look like there should be deer.
I’m a big fan of 2 ways of blacktail hunting. Find the right aged clear cut, look around some of the skid roads leading into cut. If a good amount of deer tracks. They are close. Pick apart that cut with binos until you see Mickey Mouse staring at you. Blacktail truly believe they become invisible if the freeze and stare at you.
Big stands of timber are just as fun. Bonus is I pick all my Chanterelles while slipping through timber.

541hunter

WKR
General season rifle or late season archery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Rifle at least this first time. Would be interested in archery after we have a little more experience in that area.

Best hunting will occur during the later part of the season. Some have luck, in the last few days of the season, rattling and using scents on known trails. Other than that I would recommend having good glass and focusing on feed areas like young reprod, clear cuts, burns and meadows. In these area glass, glass and glass some more. Pray for bad weather. Heavy rain will cause the deer to move a lot more. I would focus my time in southern Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with the sw part of the state but as far as timber hunting goes, dont waste your time. You'll need to be watching clear cuts at first light and last light. Prepare for wet weather and lots of rain. Glass for hours, preferably from a tripod. blacktails arent like mule deer. They dont stand out very well and hide in plain sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
The Applegate is super steep country and lots of poison oak only been down here for a couple weeks now but have been working in the Applegate almost daily. Have seen a few nice deer. Nothing crazy, but 4-5 that I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot. Maybe 110-115s?

I bounced up and checked out one long ridge on the Rogue River- western Evans Creek/ eastern Powers and saw deer while hiking, but also ran into a tweaker.

I know a co-worker hunts them on the general rifle tag and tries to target the migration corridors, literally sits on a stump.

Last edited:

Ryguy

FNG
We hunt private property in southern Oregon and I’ve hunted both rifle and bow. Rifle can be really challenging as they are pretty nocturnal. If there is any weather make sure you’re hunting. Late season archery is totally different as bucks are out all day. Good luck

Find an area thats steep and deep where you can glass. it's amazing how many hunters I hear say they ain't even gonna look off there cause they don't want to have to go down there to get it if they shot it. Find these spots and then glass, glass, and glass some more.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, Thanks for the input so far! I'm not trying to hijack the thread because I'll be hunting with the OP Kimbersig. Just asking for some more info to guide our decisions.
We have a choice of going the second to the last week in the south coastal units or late archery in the few units available. We are set up to backpack, glass and shoot bows often so I feel we have the tools and skill do give any hunt a shot but just don't know enough about this particular hunt to make a decision on which to try first.
Would there be much difference in deer activity between the last week of the hunt and the week before that?