Oregon blacktail

Sorry for hitting an older thread but has anyone tried using tarsal glands from previously harvested bucks? I have had good luck with scents under a stand but with Oregon’s new regulations I’m looking for viable alternatives. Thanks in advance!
I use them for running cams... Like everything blacktail, sometimes it works great, sometimes they ignore it. Late season is regionally good or bad, there are always places bucks are moving, and places that are deserts.

I don't have the patience to stick around if it's slow, knowing it could be good one ridge over. I stay mobile until I see sign I like and build a strategy until I kill one or that action ends.

that time of year there are bucks moving, just have to find t the pockets of action. I think stands are a great tool to have, I plan on adding them to my program, but won't sit in one all season based on preseason Intel knowing how things change that time of year

Yarbs003

Lil-Rokslider
I use them for running cams... Like everything blacktail, sometimes it works great, sometimes they ignore it. Late season is regionally good or bad, there are always places bucks are moving, and places that are deserts.

I don't have the patience to stick around if it's slow, knowing it could be good one ridge over. I stay mobile until I see sign I like and build a strategy until I kill one or that action ends.

that time of year there are bucks moving, just have to find t the pockets of action. I think stands are a great tool to have, I plan on adding them to my program, but won't sit in one all season based on preseason Intel knowing how things change that time of year

Makes sense. I have done pretty much the same as you the past few years with staying mobile. Though, I have killed some good bucks doing rough prolonged sits. I tend to hunt lower elevation areas where buck don’t move far within a given year, well besides the rut. I run cameras to see what’s in an area and see how the rut is progressing overall. One thing I have struggled with is bears taking over a spot when using apples, another reason I’m curious about unsung old tarsal glands. Nothing like walking into a stand then seeing two cubs run up the tree you stand is set in and hearing a sow clack her jaws at you!

Makes sense. I have done pretty much the same as you the past few years with staying mobile. Though, I have killed some good bucks doing rough prolonged sits. I tend to hunt lower elevation areas where buck don’t move far within a given year, well besides the rut. I run cameras to see what’s in an area and see how the rut is progressing overall. One thing I have struggled with is bears taking over a spot when using apples, another reason I’m curious about unsung old tarsal glands. Nothing like walking into a stand then seeing two cubs run up the tree you stand is set in and hearing a sow clack her jaws at you!
yeah, those rough prolonged sits pay off for those patient enough to do it.... lots of ways to consistently kill bucks, we all have our bread and butter as well as other things we do to improvise when things aren't working. I certainly wasn't saying that's not a good way to kill a buck (but it kinda sounded like that when I reread it) just has not became a part of my strategies... yet ;)

I bet bear are a problem with apples, especially that time of year when the weather is still decent at times, but food is scarce. tarsals don't always illicit a reaction, but when they do it can be really good. I don't expect it would be the same as bait, just due to the reactions you are trying for.

I don't have much to compare it to, I have only put tarsals by cams, no other scents or baits. not sure how different areas differ in that regard, i'm usually right on the coast, within 10 miles of the pacific pond

bloom1gr

FNG
Baiting legal on public land too? Or you guys are talking about doing so on private land? Moving to Medford soon and trying to get up to speed on all I can with deer and elk.

jmike

FNG
Try some Rolled C.O.B.

Corn oats and Barley rolled and sprayed with molasses. Any feed store should have it.

Never used it for Blacktail, but I know it works Mulies.

Mike

Grunt tube mixed in with blowing into a primos deer can will bring bucks in if they are around and can hear it. But, that's the trick, gotta be in where they can hear it.

Woodrow

FNG
Rattle - but cover lots and lots of ground!! We hit a move a ton and focus on timber flats.

OP
OG-danimal
Thanks for the input! How long to are your rattling sessions before you move on to another spot?