Oregon Clear Cuts or Deep Timber for ANY Buck

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I definitely need to read some Boone books. I do need to set up a more deep hunting kit with first aid and so on. Probably have some tourniquets lying around in my kit bags from my time in the service. I do carry a 45 colt revolver so not super worried about that. But I do beleive cats are better hunters than I am so they still creep me out

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, new here. Live in the grants pass area. Moved here back in 2017. Prior to that my hunting experience had been alfalfa fat Montana whitetail. That was back in 2003. So a long hiatus. What I have learned in the last 4 years hunting here has been invaluable, though unsuccessful. These deer are unlike anything I have ever dealt with. I am verging on obsession.

My biggest take away is I need to get deeper, go slower and be more patient. Cant tell you how many I have missed due to impatience, four or five this year alone. My buddy of 16 years was supposed to be my hunting buddy but all he wants to do is drive around until he sees something and while I’m not necessarily against others doing it. (I have seen a lot of deer that way) personally I don’t consider that hunting.

I figure if I learn about the behaviors, feed habits, bedding habits and moving habits I will be successful not just lucky. Each season I learn more and am getting closer to success. My main problem is I hunt alone due to the fact that perty much everyone I know wants to “road hunt” and my schedule never lines up with those that do hike into the woods.

This is a 2 fold problem, first is that I don’t feel comfortable going really deep into no mans land as I have been stalked a few times by lions in there and always worried about coming through some brush and suddenly being face to face with a mama bear. This is the first year I have gotten a bear tag as I never had any desire to hunt predators (besides coyote) as I didn’t really ever eat them. But after trying bear meat I’m hooked. The other reason is without someone to talk to or something to occupy my mind I am extremely impatient and will move then boom there runs a startled buck that I didn’t know was their. Very frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it won’t apply to this season as it is done Friday and I work the rest of the week but I have been reading a lot of these posts and am already planning on putting feet on the ground this weekend. Thanks ahead of time.
I’m in Grants Pass as well and hunt alone 95% of the time. You can pm if you want and I’ll try to give more area specific advice as I’ve hunted everywhere within day trip range. I did general rifle last year and tagged out on day 6 after passing on 6 immature bucks. Doing archery this year and was on some really nice mature deer during archery but never had a shot. The biggest thing I have found is Find places that other people don’t go. Even if that’s only 200 yards off the road but there are good numbers of deer. The bucks are very migratory here, except for the resident ones at lower elevations. Cover ground but slowly if you think deer might be there. You have to spot them before they see you even if means that you go 100 yards a hour. That could be too fast even. Check Ifish.net lot of good local knowledge there.

I’m in Grants Pass as well and hunt alone 95% of the time. You can pm if you want and I’ll try to give more area specific advice as I’ve hunted everywhere within day trip range. I did general rifle last year and tagged out on day 6 after passing on 6 immature bucks. Doing archery this year and was on some really nice mature deer during archery but never had a shot. The biggest thing I have found is Find places that other people don’t go. Even if that’s only 200 yards off the road but there are good numbers of deer. The bucks are very migratory here, except for the resident ones at lower elevations. Cover ground but slowly if you think deer might be there. You have to spot them before they see you even if means that you go 100 yards a hour. That could be too fast even. Check Ifish.net lot of good local knowledge there.
I will pm you once I am allowed to. I am out of time this year as tomorrow is the last day and I don’t get home til 4:30 pm. I will be starting my plans for next years hunt but that can go poof if I happen to draw eastern Oregon. Doesn’t mean I can’t do more research and scouting though.