Oregon Clear Cuts or Deep Timber for ANY Buck

OP
O
I'd like to add to this by saying do NOT hunt the weekends. Got out for a couple days Thurs-Sun. On Thurs & Fri, we were able to find a couple of deer in public land clear cuts. We even set eyes on a buck but couldn't get a shot due to his evasiveness and fog. Once the weekend hit, these gravel roads became highways. I cannot see how any deer would stay in a clear cut with the amount of traffic driving by.

Hoping to get into some walk in access only spots behind some gates over the next 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the timberlands we wanted to hit up opens up to drive-in access on the weekends (yet another reason not to hunt weekends).

I'd like to add to this by saying do NOT hunt the weekends. Got out for a couple days Thurs-Sun. On Thurs & Fri, we were able to find a couple of deer in public land clear cuts. We even set eyes on a buck but couldn't get a shot due to his evasiveness and fog. Once the weekend hit, these gravel roads became highways. I cannot see how any deer would stay in a clear cut with the amount of traffic driving by.

Hoping to get into some walk in access only spots behind some gates over the next 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the timberlands we wanted to hit up opens up to drive-in access on the weekends (yet another reason not to hunt weekends).
Weakened hunting is fine if you're willing to hike a mile or three back off the road systems. The traffic just pushes deer down into the timber a bit deeper. If it's an often traveled road (used for logging maybe) deer get pretty used to the tragic

Well I went out today. Walked in to some clear cuts and glassed in the rain. Only saw one doe that I watched for 30 mins or so before something spooked her. Stayed there for another 30 to see what it was. After seeing nothing. I proceeded to very fast walk back down the logging road in a big loop out. I happened to make a turn off on a road to check out a pond (for future bear hunting area) and right in the middle of the road facing away was a really nice 3x3. The only buck I’ve seen all season. I backed up around the bend and dropped my pack. Belly crawled on the road til I could just see it. The road had a hump that obscured everything but his antlers and ears. I scooted back to get my pack for a rest. That was my mistake. I should have just gone to a kneeling position as it was just shy of 60 yards. When I inched back into position, he was now facing me. Cover blown. I could only see his nose, eyes, ears, and antlers. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds before he turned 90 degrees scuttled off. I checked the wind and then went slowly and quietly after him. Constantly checking my flanks. He was gone. The woods taught me a valuable lesson. If you have a shot that will kill it, take it. Probably should have held at his nose and let it fly since I had a very stable position. It was dumping rain so I’m guessing that’s why he didn’t hear me but I suspect my move for my pack I mad a noise I can’t even comprehend. I’m super upset with myself…. But I guess it’s a good lesson and I’m glad I didn’t wound it. This was at 4pm 10/22/21 in the Alsea unit.
I'm gonna sound like a jerk, but what actually went through your brain when you spotted a deer standing in the road and you decided to back away??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna sound like a jerk, but what actually went through your brain when you spotted a deer standing in the road and you decided to back away??
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapata
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapata

you don’t sound like a jerk at all. I was mainly in shock. Then I needed to see if it was a buck or a doe. Then I thought I would have to thread the needle since it was facing away. Now I know better. Filled the tag today on a spike I passed up last week. Won’t make anymore mistakes like that in this blacktail game.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
@BryanL congrats on filling your tag this year.

Every hunt is a learning experience. The next time you're in a similar situation with a deer like that big three point you're going to kill him.

maybe I misread or misunderstood your post..m but how far exactly was this deer? and what kind of road were you on?

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
maybe I misread or misunderstood your post..m but how far exactly was this deer? and what kind of road were you on?

57 yards. Driving rain on a standard logging road. It was facing away from me when I saw it. Really just saw it’s butt. I had already relegated myself to just checking out a new area since I had covered all the clearcuts. Caught me off guard. Since that incident, I’ve been walking around like I’m in a combat zone ready to shoot at any moment.

Last edited:

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
@BryanL congrats on filling your tag this year.

Every hunt is a learning experience. The next time you're in a similar situation with a deer like that big three point you're going to kill him.
So true! I’ve learned a ton, and I’m happy to be going after such a challenging quarry. Will certainly go for a bigger one in the future, but also sort of glad to not cull a hog.

So true! I’ve learned a ton, and I’m happy to be going after such a challenging quarry. Will certainly go for a bigger one in the future, but also sort of glad to not cull a hog.
now that you've punched a tag, spend all day Saturday and Sunday out looking for deer, where they are moving, and see what you can see... you'll learn more from watching deer then sitting at home thinking about them

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
now that you've punched a tag, spend all day Saturday and Sunday out looking for deer, where they are moving, and see what you can see... you'll learn more from watching deer then sitting at home thinking about them

Yea copy that! My brother in law still has to fill his tag. I have a bear tag too (and I have a bear on the trail cam consistently). But I’m determined to find their spots to be ready for next year

Totally agree… don’t let killing a buck end your learning for the season… right now is a good time to scout for next year too.

have a bear and lion tag in pocket and go hunt.. treat it like you still have a tag. Whether it’s putting eyes on the buck making the sign you saw, or checking new areas you meant to check but never did, finding those perfect glassing spots you can sneak into… it’s very valuable to stay in the woods.

i’m sitting in my pickup right now, deer tagless, 2 hours before daylight to go glass some country and see where sign is being made… will be sitting over an area I saw a bear in last week, but also good deer country, and my wife is taking the week off to hunt, so I’m getting a headstart scouting… I have had a lot of awesome encounters this time of year

I found my biggest buck after I killed a buck one year, watched him several days, and killed him the next year with my bow… killed him on the same trail I watched him walk several times a year prior

Well I went out today. Walked in to some clear cuts and glassed in the rain. Only saw one doe that I watched for 30 mins or so before something spooked her. Stayed there for another 30 to see what it was. After seeing nothing. I proceeded to very fast walk back down the logging road in a big loop out. I happened to make a turn off on a road to check out a pond (for future bear hunting area) and right in the middle of the road facing away was a really nice 3x3. The only buck I’ve seen all season. I backed up around the bend and dropped my pack. Belly crawled on the road til I could just see it. The road had a hump that obscured everything but his antlers and ears. I scooted back to get my pack for a rest. That was my mistake. I should have just gone to a kneeling position as it was just shy of 60 yards. When I inched back into position, he was now facing me. Cover blown. I could only see his nose, eyes, ears, and antlers. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds before he turned 90 degrees scuttled off. I checked the wind and then went slowly and quietly after him. Constantly checking my flanks. He was gone. The woods taught me a valuable lesson. If you have a shot that will kill it, take it. Probably should have held at his nose and let it fly since I had a very stable position. It was dumping rain so I’m guessing that’s why he didn’t hear me but I suspect my move for my pack I mad a noise I can’t even comprehend. I’m super upset with myself…. But I guess it’s a good lesson and I’m glad I didn’t wound it. This was at 4pm 10/22/21 in the Alsea unit.

This is what I call "talking myself out of the shot" and I'm guilty of it as well. I get an opportunity and instead of thinking about what could go right, I start second and third guessing myself and it ends up costing the opportunity.

First season ever hunting deer, I was blasting through some timber trying to get to an opening to glass. I ended up stopping in the middle of the timber for a second and felt like I was being watched... a doe was 10 yards away staring at me. Now this is archery season, and it being my first season I already decided the first deer I had an opportunity on was getting it... but then it hit.

"Oh man, I'm not sure of the distance. Seems pretty close but I don't know"
"This stuff is pretty thick what if I can't find her?"
"What if she doesn't let me nock an arrow"

Needless to say she ran off and I felt like an idiot. Squandered beginners luck on opening day no less.

While I'm not advocating "letting it fly" when its outside your wheelhouse(say an animal shows up at 400 yards and you've never shot that far), you also have to recognize what's going on and actively counter it... at least I do.

Congrats on filling your tag though!

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree… don’t let killing a buck end your learning for the season… right now is a good time to scout for next year too.

have a bear and lion tag in pocket and go hunt.. treat it like you still have a tag. Whether it’s putting eyes on the buck making the sign you saw, or checking new areas you meant to check but never did, finding those perfect glassing spots you can sneak into… it’s very valuable to stay in the woods.

i’m sitting in my pickup right now, deer tagless, 2 hours before daylight to go glass some country and see where sign is being made… will be sitting over an area I saw a bear in last week, but also good deer country, and my wife is taking the week off to hunt, so I’m getting a headstart scouting… I have had a lot of awesome encounters this time of year

I found my biggest buck after I killed a buck one year, watched him several days, and killed him the next year with my bow… killed him on the same trail I watched him walk several times a year prior
Will do! I planned on taking the week off to seal the deal anyways. I’ll at least take a few of those days to rescout the area I was in and check out a new area as well. Since I’m still new, it feels good to finally have a “spot”. I had some trail cameras set up and only saw three other hunters total in the entire season so far. Considering how close it is to town (less than 10 mins), it really surprises me. I’m hoping to scout for my BiL to help him seal the deal. Maybe with one of the bigger bucks I’ve been seeing. I’d be jealous, but would be happy for him. The bittersweet feeling of filling a tag is truly fascinating. I didn’t really expect it (even after reading one of your other posts Roosie).

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I call "talking myself out of the shot" and I'm guilty of it as well. I get an opportunity and instead of thinking about what could go right, I start second and third guessing myself and it ends up costing the opportunity.

First season ever hunting deer, I was blasting through some timber trying to get to an opening to glass. I ended up stopping in the middle of the timber for a second and felt like I was being watched... a doe was 10 yards away staring at me. Now this is archery season, and it being my first season I already decided the first deer I had an opportunity on was getting it... but then it hit.

"Oh man, I'm not sure of the distance. Seems pretty close but I don't know"
"This stuff is pretty thick what if I can't find her?"
"What if she doesn't let me nock an arrow"

Needless to say she ran off and I felt like an idiot. Squandered beginners luck on opening day no less.

While I'm not advocating "letting it fly" when its outside your wheelhouse(say an animal shows up at 400 yards and you've never shot that far), you also have to recognize what's going on and actively counter it... at least I do.

Congrats on filling your tag though!
Thanks! And that’s exactly the types of thoughts that went through my head. Thought I needed a perfect rest to get me up off the ground in prone and over a hump. Rather than scooting out and go to sitting position and waiting for it to move where I can shoot it. I also didn’t shoot it in the head because I was thinking about the euromount. Not a great reason. But all in all, lesson learned. Tag filled this year. Will be ready to roll next year. Also got to test out my gear and my gear assumptions

Sorry, new here. Live in the grants pass area. Moved here back in 2017. Prior to that my hunting experience had been alfalfa fat Montana whitetail. That was back in 2003. So a long hiatus. What I have learned in the last 4 years hunting here has been invaluable, though unsuccessful. These deer are unlike anything I have ever dealt with. I am verging on obsession.

My biggest take away is I need to get deeper, go slower and be more patient. Cant tell you how many I have missed due to impatience, four or five this year alone. My buddy of 16 years was supposed to be my hunting buddy but all he wants to do is drive around until he sees something and while I’m not necessarily against others doing it. (I have seen a lot of deer that way) personally I don’t consider that hunting.

I figure if I learn about the behaviors, feed habits, bedding habits and moving habits I will be successful not just lucky. Each season I learn more and am getting closer to success. My main problem is I hunt alone due to the fact that perty much everyone I know wants to “road hunt” and my schedule never lines up with those that do hike into the woods.

This is a 2 fold problem, first is that I don’t feel comfortable going really deep into no mans land as I have been stalked a few times by lions in there and always worried about coming through some brush and suddenly being face to face with a mama bear. This is the first year I have gotten a bear tag as I never had any desire to hunt predators (besides coyote) as I didn’t really ever eat them. But after trying bear meat I’m hooked. The other reason is without someone to talk to or something to occupy my mind I am extremely impatient and will move then boom there runs a startled buck that I didn’t know was their. Very frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it won’t apply to this season as it is done Friday and I work the rest of the week but I have been reading a lot of these posts and am already planning on putting feet on the ground this weekend. Thanks ahead of time.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, new here. Live in the grants pass area. Moved here back in 2017. Prior to that my hunting experience had been alfalfa fat Montana whitetail. That was back in 2003. So a long hiatus. What I have learned in the last 4 years hunting here has been invaluable, though unsuccessful. These deer are unlike anything I have ever dealt with. I am verging on obsession.

My biggest take away is I need to get deeper, go slower and be more patient. Cant tell you how many I have missed due to impatience, four or five this year alone. My buddy of 16 years was supposed to be my hunting buddy but all he wants to do is drive around until he sees something and while I’m not necessarily against others doing it. (I have seen a lot of deer that way) personally I don’t consider that hunting.

I figure if I learn about the behaviors, feed habits, bedding habits and moving habits I will be successful not just lucky. Each season I learn more and am getting closer to success. My main problem is I hunt alone due to the fact that perty much everyone I know wants to “road hunt” and my schedule never lines up with those that do hike into the woods.

This is a 2 fold problem, first is that I don’t feel comfortable going really deep into no mans land as I have been stalked a few times by lions in there and always worried about coming through some brush and suddenly being face to face with a mama bear. This is the first year I have gotten a bear tag as I never had any desire to hunt predators (besides coyote) as I didn’t really ever eat them. But after trying bear meat I’m hooked. The other reason is without someone to talk to or something to occupy my mind I am extremely impatient and will move then boom there runs a startled buck that I didn’t know was their. Very frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it won’t apply to this season as it is done Friday and I work the rest of the week but I have been reading a lot of these posts and am already planning on putting feet on the ground this weekend. Thanks ahead of time.
Hey man. I’ll defer the in depth experience to other members. I also hunt alone or with my 4 year old. I’ve found if I can even get 1/2 mile from the main roads my success seems to increase dramatically. I also did well just glassing the clear cuts. I listened and read a lot by Scott Haugen and Tom Ryle that helped a ton for understanding the biology of the quarry. I hardly saw anything driving roads compared to walking some roads and trails. It helps me slow down and focus more. I also was always alarmed when I finally spotted deer in clear cuts. Particularly after I had searched that same spot 10 times before I noticed the ear or tail flick. If you’re spooking and bumping bucks you’re in the hot zone to say the least.

Hey man. I’ll defer the in depth experience to other members. I also hunt alone or with my 4 year old. I’ve found if I can even get 1/2 mile from the main roads my success seems to increase dramatically. I also did well just glassing the clear cuts. I listened and read a lot by Scott Haugen and Tom Ryle that helped a ton for understanding the biology of the quarry. I hardly saw anything driving roads compared to walking some roads and trails. It helps me slow down and focus more. I also was always alarmed when I finally spotted deer in clear cuts. Particularly after I had searched that same spot 10 times before I noticed the ear or tail flick. If you’re spooking and bumping bucks you’re in the hot zone to say the least.
Yeah. I have come across 3 for sure and based on the tracks of the ones I only saw a glimpse of, and how they ran instead of bounding out of the area 2 more bucks. The one that gets me the most I was sitting about a hundred yards away under an old oak tree, sat there for about an hour glassing and listening then decided to move to a different location. As I was leaving I saw an old soda can and went to pick it up. I decided to change my route back to the rig and not even five feet past the where the soda can was he jumped and booked fast. The other ones I missed were simply lack of patience. If I would have sat still I would have gotten them

Read1t48

WKR
This is a 2 fold problem, first is that I don’t feel comfortable going really deep into no mans land as I have been stalked a few times by lions in there and always worried about coming through some brush and suddenly being face to face with a mama bear.
Get an InReach, Zolio, or something similar. Let family or close friends know where you are going and leave a trip plan. Take a good first aid kit and I’m not talking about Band-Aids. It should include a tourniquet, a quick clot style bandage, perhaps an Israeli bandage, and anti-inflammatories or pain medication. Know how to use the stuff in your kit. Then, be confident hunting solo. And hunting solo takes practice. You will not feel comfortable doing it overnight. It takes time. The more time you spend in the woods alone, the more you will be comfortable relying on yourself. Remind yourself that you are the Apex predator. You were smarter, and more capable of surviving and anything else in the woods. If you feel comfortable having a sidearm, know how to use it, and it’s legal where you are, it might provide you with a boost of confidence for those what if scenarios with other predators. The reality of you getting attacked hunting alone by a cat or a bear is extremely slim. It’s good to be concerned and wise but it should not keep you from hunting solo. There are many benefits to hunting alone. You can go at your own pace, you know what is your sound vs. the sound coming from the woods - not the buddy behind you who is taking steps while you are wanting to stop and listen, grabbing stuff out of his pack at the worst time, or breaking sticks because he’s tired and not paying attention. Hunting alone, which I do most often, is when I am much more in tune with nature. My survival instincts kick in and I am more prepared and more ready than with a partner. Putting an animal on the ground and packing it out solo is very rewarding and icing on the cake.
Lastly, you should read a few books on Daniel Boone. I am being serious. That is a man who loved to spend time alone in the woods and when you think about the things that he and others like him did, and In Grizz country with a weapon far inferior to what we have today, you will realize that humankind is that the top of the chain and we are tougher than we often give ourselves credit for it. Especially when prepared.

TSU ME

FNG
Get an InReach, Zolio, or something similar. Let family or close friends know where you are going and leave a trip plan. Take a good first aid kit and I’m not talking about Band-Aids. It should include a tourniquet, a quick clot style bandage, perhaps an Israeli bandage, and anti-inflammatories or pain medication. Know how to use the stuff in your kit. Then, be confident hunting solo. And hunting solo takes practice. You will not feel comfortable doing it overnight. It takes time. The more time you spend in the woods alone, the more you will be comfortable relying on yourself. Remind yourself that you are the Apex predator. You were smarter, and more capable of surviving and anything else in the woods. If you feel comfortable having a sidearm, know how to use it, and it’s legal where you are, it might provide you with a boost of confidence for those what if scenarios with other predators. The reality of you getting attacked hunting alone by a cat or a bear is extremely slim. It’s good to be concerned and wise but it should not keep you from hunting solo. There are many benefits to hunting alone. You can go at your own pace, you know what is your sound vs. the sound coming from the woods - not the buddy behind you who is taking steps while you are wanting to stop and listen, grabbing stuff out of his pack at the worst time, or breaking sticks because he’s tired and not paying attention. Hunting alone, which I do most often, is when I am much more in tune with nature. My survival instincts kick in and I am more prepared and more ready than with a partner. Putting an animal on the ground and packing it out solo is very rewarding and icing on the cake.
Lastly, you should read a few books on Daniel Boone. I am being serious. That is a man who loved to spend time alone in the woods and when you think about the things that he and others like him did, and In Grizz country with a weapon far inferior to what we have today, you will realize that humankind is that the top of the chain and we are tougher than we often give ourselves credit for it. Especially when prepared.
I kind get pretty edgy walking up to where I want to be too, especially after last year seeing my first cougar. It was a huge Tom cat and I don’t think it was after me but the two yearlings and doe I bumped on the way up. Of course I didn’t have a cougar tag.. this year and from here in our I will have a tag.

I kind get pretty edgy walking up to where I want to be too, especially after last year seeing my first cougar. It was a huge Tom cat and I don’t think it was after me but the two yearlings and doe I bumped on the way up. Of course I didn’t have a cougar tag.. this year and from here in our I will have a tag.
you don't need a tag to shoot cougars... just shoot them