Oregon Coast Range Blacktail Tips and Tricks?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Clearcuts in the summer are great times to spot blacktail bucks in an area. They're in velvet and fur is more red/brown than grey and easier to spot. I like hiking up to a high point where you can see multiple cuts and glass the timber edges in the evening.
For cams, best action has been trails in the fringe areas or just inside the timber, parallel to a clearing.

duckhuntr

FNG
Last years rubs.
Not just one rub, but several in one spot, is your buck in that area ( assuming he lived thru winter)
I'm mostly asking in general because I'm new to the coast, but I do know where a few bucks live in mostly wooded areas so wasnt sure where to put Cams. There is a dozen trails through the woods so hard to focus on where to put cameras out. I considered laying a few salt blocks, but wasnt sure those helped much either. . . I do know a few rub lines though so I'll have to try that. Do you think even in June/July you think they will walk the old rub lines or should I focus on those spots more towards September when they start looking to shed velvet?

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I'm mostly asking in general because I'm new to the coast, but I do know where a few bucks live in mostly wooded areas so wasnt sure where to put Cams. There is a dozen trails through the woods so hard to focus on where to put cameras out. I considered laying a few salt blocks, but wasnt sure those helped much either. . . I do know a few rub lines though so I'll have to try that. Do you think even in June/July you think they will walk the old rub lines or should I focus on those spots more towards September when they start looking to shed velvet?
Focus on the spot year round, blacktails in the coast range live their life in a small spot.
Itshard to pattern then on one trail, they use them like a labrynth... or even go around them .

Focus on one trail at a time, put 3 cams up in a triangle pattern, 1 on the trail, two on each side. wait at least 30 days between checking, move the cam that has the least pics to the opposite side of the triangle.
Or move the whole set to another trail if hardly any pics total.

duckhuntr

FNG
Focus on the spot year round, blacktails in the coast range live their life in a small spot.
Itshard to pattern then on one trail, they use them like a labrynth... or even go around them .

Focus on one trail at a time, put 3 cams up in a triangle pattern, 1 on the trail, two on each side. wait at least 30 days between checking, move the cam that has the least pics to the opposite side of the triangle.
Or move the whole set to another trail if hardly any pics total.
Good Info. A labyrinth is spot on. Dozens of trails in the same direction, and none of which are more used and obvious than the others. I'll try the camera rotation though. . . Or maybe I just need to put out 20 cameras 🤔