Oregon Elk Archery

LT2107

FNG
I am going archery elk, OTC, in the John Day area. Looking for any information. This will be the first time in this area. Willing to backpack just about anywhere. But do the elk migrate to the wilderness area or hang around private property?
Any information would help, thanks.
Shoot straight!!!

Beendare

WKR
More elk on private...but of course they like those high mountains.

that could be one of the most heavily hunted areas for elk in the lower 48....I know some guys that kill elk every year in there utilizing a clever strategy.......plan accordingly.

______

OP
LT2107

LT2107

FNG
My buddy and I will be there opener, but coming back around the 10th through the 20th.
Thanks for the input!!

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
The wilderness has elk but not as much as a guy would hope IMO. I'd e-scout areas that are away from road densities. Look for pockets with diverse habitat and be prepared to move around. Have a plan A, B, C. preferably in various areas. You have a number of folks in that unit willing to hike a lot so don't just think being a couple of miles from a road will keep everyone out.

nphunter

WKR
I wouldn't be packing in anywhere if it were me. There are lots of elk in all of that area, personally I would get a few miles above the private after that you will be into different elk than the ones that typically run back and forth to the private. If you're not getting into elk move to a different spot, don't waste more than a day at a time not getting into them. 10 days will be plenty of time to find elk and get into some action.

Swede

WKR
I would find a couple of water holes where good trails come together and set up my tree stand and wait. Find a new place where others are not going to be and wait it out. That country is good for tree stand hunting and poor for calling. Be prepared to move if after a few days nothing is moving around as elk often head to a ranch when the pressure comes on. Avoid the areas where cattle have over grazed their allotment.

OP
LT2107

LT2107

FNG
I will ask this question, if no response I get it. Not looking for details. North side of wilderness or South side?
Thanks for all the information, this is a great tool with good people.