Oregon firearms shipping/transfer

J Dubaya

FNG
would anyone be able to offer some guidance on how to sell your firearm private party. I mean if I list it on here, how do I go about shipping it to a FFL on the other end? What should I expect to pay for shipping/transfer fees? Any help would be appreciated.

Curtass

FNG
You can send it to the FFL, but need to get the FFL's license emailed so you can check it on fflezcheck and verify it is still valid and the address matches up. You or the buyer needs to check with the receiving FFL to make sure they will accept a firearm from an individual. Some don't. If I remember right USPS don't allow non-licence holders to ship firearms. So that leaves you with Fed-ex or UPS. They require handguns to go overnight per their policies which makes it expensive to ship. Or you can just take it to your FFL and have them ship it for you. Some will charge you a transfer fee as well as shipping.

def90

WKR
Pack it up in a case and then box it up, make sure there are no markings on it that would alert others that it is a gun to prevent theft. Ship direct to the buyers FFL. Not a big deal. If using FedEx or UPS you cannot drop it off at a UPS Store or a FedEx Kinkos, you have to drop it off at a UPS hub or schedule a pick up. If the sale is being made within your state and your state law allows for private face to face sales without a background check then you can ship it directly to the buyer.

I think handguns have to be shipped overnight.

You do not pay any transfer fees, that is on the buyers end if an FFL is needed.

OP
J Dubaya

J Dubaya

FNG
Pack it up in a case and then box it up, make sure there are no markings on it that would alert others that it is a gun to prevent theft. Ship direct to the buyers FFL. Not a big deal. If using FedEx or UPS you cannot drop it off at a UPS Store or a FedEx Kinkos, you have to drop it off at a UPS hub or schedule a pick up. If the sale is being made within your state and your state law allows for private face to face sales without a background check then you can ship it directly to the buyer.

I think handguns have to be shipped overnight.

You do not pay any transfer fees, that is on the buyers end if an FFL is needed.
Thank you. I know that recently Oregon has new laws around private transfers, so just trying to understand if anything special is needed here.

Call the FFL you're transferring to and make sure that they're doing transfers right now. They probably are. My local shop is not doing person to person transfers for whatever reason, but are doing mail-in transfers.