Oregon Fires and Access

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
So with the fires from 2020, many of these areas are still classified as closed via the Forest Service. As in, not just not accessible, but actually closed to any entry. Can someone explain how this is? All I hear is to hunt burns, and newer the better, etc. so that got me excited to get back into some areas that were impacted by the 2020 fires. But now entry is still not allowed. What am I missing here? Can they even do this?

Obviously, there is logistics of road travel, and initial vehicle access, but these closures are going far beyond that and literally drawing a red line through accessing any of this?

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Yes they can do this, as a closure order signed usually by the Forest Supervisor. It's usually under the idea that there is some safety issue with allowing public access. My experience is soil stabilization issues and falling trees. You see, public isn't actually responsible for their actions so the fed land management agencies error on the side of caution with these sorts of things.

With that said, I've been with a federal land management agency for 21 years and have never seen someone actually get into trouble for "accidentally" trespassing in a closure. Parking at a closed parking lot or trailhead is obviously not very smart but if you're discreet about it, you'll probably be just fine. Of course by doing this, you now take responsibilities for your own actions.

Most Closure orders have an expiration. If you need further info about a specific area, DM me and I should be able to find the appropriate closure order for the area.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
My girlfriend follows a lot of mushroom foraging groups on FB. People have been getting pretty hefty fines for venturing out into the burns looking for morels.

Iḿ sure theyŕe going in at obvious access points, but there is some degree of enforcement going on.

Iḿ itching to scout those burns, but there isn´t likely to be any increase in the deer/elk population this year. Iḿ very curious as to how much pressure those areas are going to recieve.

Personally I hope, and expect, that the maintenance effort is limited to main roads. Those areas are going to be epic in a few years based on how old timers talk about comparable burns in the past.

We're working in the burn cutting timber right now, and have been since the first of the year. Where we are at least, there are no signs of game, and very little if any feed in most places. Hopefully things will look better game wise by fall, but right now I wouldn't waste my time peraonally.

I think these burns will be a better option for next year.

OP
G

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks the replies. Yea, kind of sums up what I was thinking as far as don’t be an idiot and park next to the closed trailhead sign for 3 days. The tricky thing is some of the main access roads/highways are closed to entry miles before even getting close to forest roads you could bail off on.

But with the summer months, maybe enough cleanup will happen to be able to get into general areas and get on foot.

I definitely heard about a lot of trespass citations and fines after the Gorge fire a couple years back.

Some of the burns were pretty high intensity and in steep areas. That means the slopes will be very destabilized and prone to rock slides, tree fall, and other risks beyond the norm. They don't want the usual onslaught of public traffic into those areas while the hillsides are sloughing off, plus it gives them more freedom for the salvage logging and restoration crews to work. If they kept some of the main access points open, they'd have to use road crews, flaggers, and schedule rolling closures.

I think 224 along the upper Clackamas is still closed - I haven't been out there yet to see it, but it sounds like it was a complete stand replacement fire in a lot of areas. The steep hills along that highway are loose enough as is, but killing all the vegetation just makes it worse. It takes a while to open something like that back up.

OP
G

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Well as Smokeslider so kindly pointed out in the actual closure notices, they are set to expire at the end of May. So we’ll see if that holds true.

End of may would be nice. I was on the forest service website checking into the area I have always deer hunted. It said possibly open in the fall on 2021.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking for newer satellite image's of the areas ....anyone know of any....?

I’ve been looking too, onx is a few years behind. I have been using google maps for the most update to look at clear cuts for spring bear, but it’s still one year behind. So no fires show up yet from this last summer.

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
I want to hunt the area around collawash but I don't think any entry is allowed there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The precipitation/runoff map is showing a moderate/severe drought conditions since we didn't get a lot of rain; I'd be prepping a lot of different hunt areas around the fact that a lot of land will probably get shut down again, either due to fires or threats of fires.

OP
G

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
So it looks like at the minimum, Beachie Creek & Lionshead fire closures were extended through August 31 2021.

I’m having to do a lot of exploring to find any new viable hunting grounds . I have seen rangers and staters out there more than usual. I have also just seen more people out there than usual so it makes sense . I’m going further out and avoiding the fire damage as well as trying to find areas with limited entry in hopes of avoiding as much pressure as possible . It should be an interesting season be safe good luck out there

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking for newer satellite image's of the areas ....anyone know of any....?
Google Earth has uploaded current photos. Definitely looks like a big hot fire with a lot of damage. Back to map scouting hoping Oregon opens the forest back up someday. I hope they don't just close it indefinitely like they did after the Gorge fire, exception for manicured hiking trails of course.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk