Oregon fish and wildlife proposals

541hunter

WKR
ODFW is proposing some very significant changes to Eastern Oregon archery deer and elk seasons. The largest change being that they will be changed from a general tag to a draw tag. Also reduce non resident tag availability. I encourage all to read through the below presentation and submit letters to the commission. This is NOT good for Oregon hunters.

Admin,
I accidentally put this in the wrong area. If it could be moved that would be great.
Thank you

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
They see dollar signs from application fees. Must be talking to Utah DNR

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bloom1gr

FNG
Reading through the article amongst what I've heard about the state is that not only are populations declining but hunter density is increasing. Why would a draw system be a bad management tactic?

Oldpuck

FNG
I filled our my ODFW survey earlier. There do need to be some changes. Archery harvest is more dismal each year. And hunting pressure is one reason. However, the survey results appear incomplete to frustrating. Food depletion is the source of declining mule deer populations? Where is the data on predator degradation? I'm pretty sure cougar, wolf and coyote (for deer anyway) account for diminished herds more than increased hunting pressure. Moving (and killing) several hundred herd of Roosevelt Elk from the Oregon Coast Range in the mid-90's to the Cascades due to vehicular traffic concerns did not do much to help the Coast Range Roosevelt herd either. So wildlife management now equals no predator controls and fewer opportunities to hunt. Great.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Reading through the article amongst what I've heard about the state is that not only are populations declining but hunter density is increasing. Why would a draw system be a bad management tactic?
Because it doesn't address the lack of predator management or human encroachment on critical habitat. It's a ploy to reduce hunter participation and further cut into opportunities. Archery and rifle hunters get a few weeks a year with single digit success rates on average. Cougars and wolves get 52 weeks a year and they are extremely efficient killers. Which one do you think has a more long term impact? If they want to reduce hunter participation, make them OTC with caps. When the tags sell out, they're done. A draw system is stupid and only serves to make the DNR money. You want a system where a person should think that they get one good tag in their lifetime? If you do, you're part of the problem. They'll keep chipping away at hunter opportunities until hunters quit, which is exactly what that moron governor of Oregon would love to see.

Reactions: lif

bloom1gr

FNG
Because it doesn't address the lack of predator management or human encroachment on critical habitat. It's a ploy to reduce hunter participation and further cut into opportunities. Archery and rifle hunters get a few weeks a year with single digit success rates on average. Cougars and wolves get 52 weeks a year and they are extremely efficient killers. Which one do you think has a more long term impact? If they want to reduce hunter participation, make them OTC with caps. When the tags sell out, they're done. A draw system is stupid and only serves to make the DNR money. You want a system where a person should think that they get one good tag in their lifetime? If you do, you're part of the problem. They'll keep chipping away at hunter opportunities until hunters quit, which is exactly what that moron governor of Oregon would love to see.

I might have misunderstood the article but from what I understood they had proposed 15,600 archery elk tags for 2021, when there were 16,300 hunters in 2019... That doesn't sound like once in a lifetime odds. I think the most extreme proposal was rifle tags being drawn every 5-7 years, and then guaranteed - not as exciting odds but better than some extremes around the country. I can relate to the predator management though, that could definitely be addressed.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider

Agreed.

It is not a hunting pressure problem, it is a predator management problem. To say otherwise is BS and masking the real reason, $$$$$. Deer numbers have plummeted where I hunt and it is not because of over harvesting or even winter kill (although in some areas that has been a factor). There are cougars everywhere. Somebody is bowing to pressure and trying to put blame on hunter density. It is just about the Benjamins.

Last edited:
Oregon is absolutely stuffed with cats, need to bring back dogs. It’s crazy how many cougars there are. Wolves are now as far west as the Willamette valley and probably further. ODFW is pretty much worthless at this point.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is Oregon DNR working with Washington's or what? Or California's? I don't understand people's love affair with cats. Or wolves. They think there's some utopian world where all animals live together in harmony.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I might have misunderstood the article but from what I understood they had proposed 15,600 archery elk tags for 2021, when there were 16,300 hunters in 2019... That doesn't sound like once in a lifetime odds. I think the most extreme proposal was rifle tags being drawn every 5-7 years, and then guaranteed - not as exciting odds but better than some extremes around the country. I can relate to the predator management though, that could definitely be addressed.
It starts the slippery slope towards further cuts and longer odds. That's how they try to sell it at first. Then it's death by a thousand cuts.

Wow just wow. They are worried about hunter recruitment but want to limit tags?
I'm thought I was subscribed to every email list they have and I never saw anything about a 30 daybopen forum or a survey.
If they take my archery hunting I'll simply leave the state.
That's probably what they want.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
This is in "gear deals?" Really?

Read the original post... I admittedly realized I was in the wrong forum after the post was made. I dont know how to move it or I would have. Please get off my back thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR

When this was presented at the ODFW commission meeting the ODFW rep actually said that populations are not being impacted due to hunting.

Read the original post... I admittedly realized I was in the wrong forum after the post was made. I dont know how to move it or I would have. Please get off my back thank you

I'm not "on your back." I'm just surprised people are responding to it here. The first reply should have been "hey bud, wrong forum." and done. But no. People have no discipline anymore.

OP
541hunter

541hunter

WKR
Wow just wow. They are worried about hunter recruitment but want to limit tags?
I'm thought I was subscribed to every email list they have and I never saw anything about a 30 daybopen forum or a survey.
If they take my archery hunting I'll simply leave the state.
That's probably what they want.

My thoughts exactly. They apparently are worried about recruitment so their solution is to cut opportunity

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm not "on your back." I'm just surprised people are responding to it here. The first reply should have been "hey bud, wrong forum." and done. But no. People have no discipline anymore.
Seriously? Give it a break. It doesn't matter where it's posted. You the internet police? Has nothing to do with discipline. Oh my God, it's in the wrong forum, I can't comment til it's moved. You absolutely were jumping his case for posting it here. You should use the scroll function more. Talk about no discipline.... you commented.