Oregon fish and wildlife proposals

sneaky

"DADDY"
It helps to understand who and how predators are managed in this state.
They aren't allowed to hunt with hounds. Season is open year round with quotas in zones, but hunters aren't really making an impact on numbers. According to this paper we're doing it all wrong all across the west. Says California is the model we should be following.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I live here, the point was ODFW has virtually no hand in predator management in this state. Without bait and dogs were just spinning our wheels. Complaining about ODFW and predators does nothing.

slick

WKR
It’s worth noting that Oregon cannot manage their herds in the same way that ID, WY, and MT do, due to lack of elk security cover...aka road densities are very high in many areas within the state. There are no Winds, Frank, or Lee Metcalf, Bob Marshall over here.-

It’s also worth noting that some units were experiencing more general archery buck harvest than their controlled rifle harvest. You can imagine how that could cause issues.

I don’t agree with archers being able to get a point and a tag in the same season in their current structure. - I am an archery hunter.

To say that hunting cannot be additive mortality is ignorant.

Habitat degradation, predation, and roadkill all can contribute to population decline.

We should all kill a couple cougars each year every year.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I live here, the point was ODFW has virtually no hand in predator management in this state. Without bait and dogs were just spinning our wheels. Complaining about ODFW and predators does nothing.
Yeah, you guys are outnumbered on issues like that, and ODFW plays to the west side crowd. As soon as I read that article I linked and they brought up WA and CA I knew it was done.

Rob5589

WKR
They aren't allowed to hunt with hounds. Season is open year round with quotas in zones, but hunters aren't really making an impact on numbers. According to this paper we're doing it all wrong all across the west. Says California is the model we should be following.

"Elephant in the room?" I can almost guarantee the reason why sheep attacks are low here. SSS.

Oh, and now there is a wolf pack in the northeast corner of the state. Well, I should say, "Now captured on camera." They have been there for several years according to some fish and game guys willing to talk.

That wolf pack in the NE corner rumor was around 4 or 5 years ago. Sightings have been reported in Lane county for some time now. Their management model will look just like CA in a few years, it’s their destiny.

bloom1gr

FNG
I'm moving to the state in a couple weeks, so I'm only just reading about the conditions out there. I'm very excited about the change of scenery, and obviously gaining a little trepidation about the hunting climate now. I've never been a preadator hunter, and have only limited time in the woods since I've gotten out of college about ten years ago. But hearing about the different strikes against the deer and elk population, perhaps it would be part of my responsiblity to consider the cougar hunting at least? Deer is a no-brainer for me, and I'd like to justify the elk hunting by finding freezer space once I get settled. Other than just predation control - is cougar meat worth the hassle? And how much risk do bears pose to these population numbers?

I'm moving to the state in a couple weeks, so I'm only just reading about the conditions out there. I'm very excited about the change of scenery, and obviously gaining a little trepidation about the hunting climate now. I've never been a preadator hunter, and have only limited time in the woods since I've gotten out of college about ten years ago. But hearing about the different strikes against the deer and elk population, perhaps it would be part of my responsiblity to consider the cougar hunting at least? Deer is a no-brainer for me, and I'd like to justify the elk hunting by finding freezer space once I get settled. Other than just predation control - is cougar meat worth the hassle? And how much risk do bears pose to these population numbers?

Cougar meat is really good. Totally worth it.

slick

WKR
Bears can be a significant contributor to fawn/calf mortality.

Depends on bear density, prey density, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR

WKR
Wildlife management on the entire west coast has went to hell. The vast majority of people creating the policies and laws are ignorant and don't know a damn thing about conservation or game management.

Baddog

WKR
I don’t have a problem with people having to choose between bow or rifle. I think lots of people apply for the good rifle hunts and just go bow hunting. Getting the halfass bow hunters out of the woods and the bow hunters out of the rifle pool should make for less time in between drawing rifle tags and less pressure during bow season.
But Oregon has a serious predator problem and honestly the odfw hands are tied. Need to quite having other hunters turning in those doing the dirty work🤷‍♀️

slick

WKR
Wildlife management on the entire west coast has went to hell. The vast majority of people creating the policies and laws are ignorant and don't know a damn thing about conservation or game management.

Interesting sentiment. Please enlighten us to your applicable solution since you are all knowing.

WKR

WKR
Interesting sentiment. Please enlighten us to your applicable solution since you are all knowing.

Never said I was all knowing bud
In my state they have implemented laws and restrictions on predator hunting due to the cries of the bleeding hearts in the heavily populated metropolitan areas.
3 examples would be the ban on mountain lion hunting, the ban on hunting bears with hounds, and most recently the ban on bobcat hunting.
Also trapping is illegal
The reason for these bans was not because these species numbers were low. And the result has been an increase in predators and a decline in prey animals.
A solution would be to manage these predators through hunting, trapping and depredation permits. And monitoring the population density with surveys and biologists.

What does a "serious predator problem" look like? Are the predators starving because they can't find enough prey?

Do you hunt in Oregon? You are reading from people who have their whole lives. I know you love to question almost anything on here but common. We have seen cougar populations sky rocket the last 30 or so years. Used to be a rare occurrence to see one in the woods, now they get hit on the highway routinely. Guys I know who never saw one in years see and shoot them multiple times a year. As an avid hunter it’s very apparent, sitting on your ass in an odfw office 9-5, not so much.

slick

WKR
Never said I was all knowing bud
In my state they have implemented laws and restrictions on predator hunting due to the cries of the bleeding hearts in the heavily populated metropolitan areas.
3 examples would be the ban on mountain lion hunting, the ban on hunting bears with hounds, and most recently the ban on bobcat hunting.
Also trapping is illegal
The reason for these bans was not because these species numbers were low. And the result has been an increase in predators and a decline in prey animals.
A solution would be to manage these predators through hunting, trapping and depredation permits. And monitoring the population density with surveys and biologists.

You mentioned the entire west coast. Talking about 1/3 of the states there is not the entirety.

It’s funny as all states under their current framework have biologists who do exactly that. Biologists in every state monitor species populations with surveys, hunter harvested, or other causes of mortality, mandatory reporting, and various other methods. Typically you don’t become a biologist without an education in game management.

It’s not the agency or the people within them, but the vast majority of urban areas having used their vote to enact legislation that bans agencies from utilizing various management tools.

So what is your solution?

WKR

WKR
You mentioned the entire west coast. Talking about 1/3 of the states there is not the entirety.

It’s funny as all states under their current framework have biologists who do exactly that. Biologists in every state monitor species populations with surveys, hunter harvested, or other causes of mortality, mandatory reporting, and various other methods. Typically you don’t become a biologist without an education in game management.

It’s not the agency or the people within them, but the vast majority of urban areas having used their vote to enact legislation that bans agencies from utilizing various management tools.

So what is your solution?

If you didn't notice this thread is about Oregon. My post was about California. That's 2/3. If you want more go ahead and Google Washington state game management and do your own research.

Do you hunt in Oregon? You are reading from people who have their whole lives. I know you love to question almost anything on here but common. We have seen cougar populations sky rocket the last 30 or so years. Used to be a rare occurrence to see one in the woods, now they get hit on the highway routinely. Guys I know who never saw one in years see and shoot them multiple times a year. As an avid hunter it’s very apparent, sitting on your ass in an odfw office 9-5, not so much.
do you understand predator-prey relationships? Well documented in wildlife science the cycles between predator and prey. So when someone says they have a "serious predator problem" it makes me wonder exactly what the problem is. Too much prey that supports an artificially high predator numbers? Too little prey that is causing predators to starve? More prey visible than I'm comfortable seeing? From a wildlife population standpoint, what constitutes a "predator problem?"