Oregon fish and wildlife proposals

do you understand predator-prey relationships? Well documented in wildlife science the cycles between predator and prey. So when someone says they have a "serious predator problem" it makes me wonder exactly what the problem is. Too much prey that can support artificially high predator numbers? From a wildlife population standpoint, what constitutes a "predator problem?"

The problem is declining deer numbers mostly and elk. They are on their way to being dismal, especially on the coast. After that i’m sure cat numbers will drop a bit. You know nothing of Oregon’s situation, you sound like antiquated textbook trying to apply philosophy to the whole country.

slick

WKR
If you didn't notice this thread is about Oregon. My post was about California. That's 2/3. If you want more go ahead and Google Washington state game management and do your own research.

I have a well developed understanding of how state agencies manage their game.

You still haven’t offered an applicable solution to Oregon, you know, the state we’re talking about.

If the voters of Oregon have decided to ban the use of hounds on lions and bait for bears, what do you suggest those ignorant Wildlife Managers who aren’t biologists do?

You have offered no solution that falls within the framework of the states mandates, and if you don’t offer a potential solution all it is is bitching and moaning.

I would personally like to see more hunters actively engaged in cougar hunting, to summarize Dustin above -they are prolific. How many people do you know that actively pursue cougars?

There is ample opportunity to shoot bears. I would also like to see more hunters involved in bear specific hunting efforts.

I would prefer to see the states citizens vote to allow the use of bait and hounds, but as that is highly unlikely the most effective management tool is you with a gun in your hands, and all of your friends the same.

I would also prefer to pick your weapon without the potential for an accrual of points in the same year as holding a tag.

If prey populations are as bleak as they seem with all of the predators on the landscape I believe who better than to bring those predator numbers down than hunters.

Rob5589

WKR
In regards to California:
Stop allowing voters to decide wildlife management issues.
Stop allowing city/county boards to override fish and game decisions.
Solicit and honestly consider input from hunters in the field.
Stop emotion based wildlife decisions.
Work with land owners to gain access.
Manage herds for quality not necessarily quantity.
Open up predator hunting, specifically lion and bobcat.

slick

WKR
Then go kill a cougar or two NorCal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Maybe should retitle the thread, “Californian’s frustrations with their state’s cougar management”

Rob5589

WKR
Maybe should retitle the thread, “Californian’s frustrations with their state’s cougar management”

Just passing along what has happened here in order to potentially help you guys there. Good luck.

slick

WKR
While I appreciate your concern for our wildlife and hunting opportunities...

Nothing about ceasing lion hunting is on the docket. This thread is basically worthless.

The problem is declining deer numbers mostly and elk. They are on their way to being dismal, especially on the coast. After that i’m sure cat numbers will drop a bit. You know nothing of Oregon’s situation, you sound like antiquated textbook trying to apply philosophy to the whole country.
Ask a simple question and get attacked. LOL Nice.

Well, predator-prey relationships have been ongoing as long as there have been predators and there have been prey. Even the most modern "textbook" would say the same thing, and textbooks 500 years from now will probably say the same thing still. You need a healthy prey population to have a healthy predator population.

What again is the "problem?" Too few deer for you to hunt? Do you ever post that you are concerned about the health of predators? Of course not. LOL

Ask a simple question and get attacked. LOL Nice.

Well, predator-prey relationships have been ongoing as long as there have been predators and there have been prey. Even the most modern "textbook" would say the same thing, and textbooks 500 years from now will probably say the same thing still. You need a healthy prey population to have a healthy predator population.

What again is the "problem?" Too few deer for you to hunt? Do you ever post that you are concerned about the health of predators? Of course not. LOL

I know you know better than my friends who still live there and see/shoot them all the time so I will go no further here. Is there anyway we could make a hotlink on Newtosavage’s profile signature for questions about predator control for every state in the union? He sure knows a lot about it. He told me there have been predator prey relationships since ever and my head filled up with way too much info.

slick

WKR
Also, I watched that Instagram video and the dude was talking out of his bum.

“I don’t know the numbers... so I’ll just make them up”

I know you know better than my friends who still live there and see/shoot them all the time so I will go no further here. Is there anyway we could make a hotlink on Newtosavage’s profile signature for questions about predator control for every state in the union? He sure knows a lot about it. He told me there have been predator prey relationships since ever and my head filled up with way too much info.
Where did I say I knew better? I asked a simple question and stated a principle older than any of us. Clearly that bothers you for some reason. What was your answer again? What is the "problem?"

Are you planning to home school your kids with old texbooks, or are you just gonna have your friends come talk to them? Just curious.

Here is the link if you care to let ODFW know you opinion.
Scroll down and hit the button I have screen shot.
Screenshot_20200626-133458_Chrome.jpg

Extrapale

WKR
Couple questions

What would anyone suggest ODFW do about predators that is legal? Coyotes, Cougars, Wolves, or bears?

What percent of archery hunters are not already applying for controlled hunt tags? How is this a money grab?

What do you propose ODFW do about habitat on federally managed land?

Everyone knows ODFW has pathetic management objectives for total population and male/female ratio. They are unable to meet those objectives now. How should ODFW limit male harvest going forward?

Elk congregating on private land is a problem in some areas coinciding with the opening of archery season. How should ODFW address this?

I took the original survey back in May. I have a preferred weapon of Muzzloader. I will hunt archery, rifle, and muzzleloader this year for deer elk and pronghorn.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
Because it doesn't address the lack of predator management or human encroachment on critical habitat. It's a ploy to reduce hunter participation and further cut into opportunities. Archery and rifle hunters get a few weeks a year with single digit success rates on average. Cougars and wolves get 52 weeks a year and they are extremely efficient killers. Which one do you think has a more long term impact? If they want to reduce hunter participation, make them OTC with caps. When the tags sell out, they're done. A draw system is stupid and only serves to make the DNR money. You want a system where a person should think that they get one good tag in their lifetime? If you do, you're part of the problem. They'll keep chipping away at hunter opportunities until hunters quit, which is exactly what that moron governor of Oregon would love to see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
AMEN!!!!!

Tbh, I don't understand how states like this allow cougar hunting but ban the use of hounds.
Seeing mountain lion tracks, let alone seeing the actual lion, and seeing it in time to stabilize and take a clean shot is laughable.
Not that I haven't started trying to figure out how to use predator e-calls to take a lion with my bow, but the whole proposed scenario is sketchy and dicey no matter how you look at it 🤗

Baiting bears imo boils down to a personal preference thing. I don't believe in hunting bears that way, but it allows clean, ethical shots so I don't see the problem with it.

I think another factor I haven't seen talked about but seems excessively prevalent since I've moved out here is the sheer amount of roads in the forests. It's mind boggling.

Tbh, I don't understand how states like this allow cougar hunting but ban the use of hounds.
Seeing mountain lion tracks, let alone seeing the actual lion, and seeing it in time to stabilize and take a clean shot is laughable.
Not that I haven't started trying to figure out how to use predator e-calls to take a lion with my bow, but the whole proposed scenario is sketchy and dicey no matter how you look at it 🤗

Baiting bears imo boils down to a personal preference thing. I don't believe in hunting bears that way, but it allows clean, ethical shots so I don't see the problem with it.

I think another factor I haven't seen talked about but seems excessively prevalent since I've moved out here is the sheer amount of roads in the forests. It's mind boggling.

Because a representative put it to vote for law. And allowed the public to vote.
Now ODFW cannot allow it as it is against the law.