Oregon fng

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy folks

Rookie bowhunter here. Been lurking for a bit trying to soak up some knowledge and get my head in the game. Just had, by far, the most exhilarating hunting experience since I first started a year ago. Like, I was into bow hunting before, but now I’m 100% hooked, all in.
I wanted to join to a) thank y’all for the knowledge and insight that’s helped me so much in my first year hunting and
b) continue to learn from and hopefully give back to this community

Good hunting

Nice to have you. What was the experience you had that hooked you so badly?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
N

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Nice to have you. What was the experience you had that hooked you so badly?

Opening day for turkey here, I made a mad dash to get out after work. Didn’t have a chance to scout and the area I wanted to access was under a foot of snow. Made an on the fly decision to head down the mountain, and an hour later I had a Jake respond to my (probably horrible/rookie calling).

I got set up behind some deadfall, and just waited, as I could tell he was close and likely coming my way. A couple minutes later I had him at 28 yards on a clear track. He was gobbling and looking around (looked right through me at on point-yay for fusion lol). Made it to full draw when he looked away, and sent my arrow low left 🤬.

thankfully it was a clean miss, so I don’t have to live with the guilt of wounding him. Only my second year hunting. Last year was a lot of learning and mistakes, and I never even had a shot opportunity.

this year all i wanted was to get in the woods and get close to critters. So it was a pretty amazing/humbling/addicting experience! And on the drive back that evening I saw a gorgeous pronghorn buck, so that’s always neat. I think realizing just how much fun I had, even though I didn’t get to punch a tag, really has me hooked on this.

That's absolutely fantastic man. Great story. It's an amazing sport and it's awesome you got bit by the bug despite not punching a tag. I wish you all the luck on this year's turkey if you're able to get out!