Oregon Imnaha Unit OTC Archery

I am an Idaho resident and until recent years have primarily been an elk and whitetail hunter. I have really become interested in hunting mule deer during early archery seasons and specifically in the "high country". This is what has eventually drawn my interest to The Eagle caps. I have plenty of opportunity in Idaho and actually have good hunting out my back door but what I really enjoy is the backcountry/wilderness backpack type hunts. The closest area for me here in Northern Idaho to do that is about a 3 hour drive and I actually was driving 7 hours down to central Idaho in 2019 for mule deer. I live only about a 2.5 hour drive from the Eagle caps so proximity and alpine terrain is what has peaked my interest in this area. The only drawback to me is I would have to buy a non resident license and tag a little over $600. I plan to make it over there in the near future for a backpack/scouting trip, and right now this is more of my long term plan as I am not sure I will make it happen this year. I more or less was wanting to see if anyone has just very high level general information about the area. Such as what hunter densities and hunting pressure is like in the wilderness portions? Perceived deer numbers? I know this area is very popular among hikers and other recriators. I appreciate any information and I dont expect people to get into specifics, I work hard for my hunts and wouldnt expect anyone to give out information on an internet forum that I wouldnt myself. Just hoping to get a general feel for what I might expect and pass the time until I can get out and find some sheds!

jparker

FNG
just know that the mule deer populations in eastern oregon are beyond struggling. predator numbers are out of control, harsh late winters, and a lack of proper management has caused many issues. according to the always trustworthy ODFW in 2018 there was an estimated 2500 head of mule deer in the imnaha Unit where the management objectives are supposed to be up around 7000 head.

Imnaha unit had a reported 598 rifle hunters in 2018 that reported 33% success

archery numbers are harder to decipher for deer, mostly because OTC isn't well documented by odfw, but remember you'll have elk and deer hunters together up there during the same timeframe.

I'm sure there are good deer up in the high country, but is it worth traveling that far, and spending that much money when you can hunt plenty high country for much less and have a better opportunity at being successful in an area closer to home.

If you decide to make the trip and spend the money, i wish you the best of luck and truly hope you are successful.

Last edited:
OP
Eastman528
Jparker I appreciate the response, some good input and something to think about. I have been looking on ODFW’s site but I agree not a tone of useful info. If I were to hunt it I would be looking to be out there at the beginning of season in August so my thoughts were there might be fewer elk hunters at that time. I honestly need to check when the elk season even opens. The situation you have described in Eastern Oregon isn’t much different East of the Snake River In Idaho due to some of the same reasons you have mentioned.
I understand your point but I actually live just outside of Lewiston Idaho so that being said the Imnaha unit isn’t really that much of a stretch for me. The closest “high country” not necessarily alpine I can hunt here in Idaho OTC is a 3 hr drive at best. Don’t get me wrong there is opportunity and I plan to take advantage of it but just trying to expand my options.
Have you hunted this unit or spent time in there?

541hunter

WKR
I have hunted the area several times but for elk. Expect lots of pressure even in the wilderness area. Most will be elk hunters but animals can’t discern that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jparker

FNG
Jparker I appreciate the response, some good input and something to think about. I have been looking on ODFW’s site but I agree not a tone of useful info. If I were to hunt it I would be looking to be out there at the beginning of season in August so my thoughts were there might be fewer elk hunters at that time. I honestly need to check when the elk season even opens. The situation you have described in Eastern Oregon isn’t much different East of the Snake River In Idaho due to some of the same reasons you have mentioned.
I understand your point but I actually live just outside of Lewiston Idaho so that being said the Imnaha unit isn’t really that much of a stretch for me. The closest “high country” not necessarily alpine I can hunt here in Idaho OTC is a 3 hr drive at best. Don’t get me wrong there is opportunity and I plan to take advantage of it but just trying to expand my options.
Have you hunted this unit or spent time in there?

i haven't spent much time in that unit, but i live in eastern oregon and am in one of the big 3 units constantly throughout the year. We are seeing the same things in just about every unit in eastern oregon.

mbailey25

WKR
I hunt the Eagle Caps and have alternated between archery and rifle tags for both muleys and elk. Opener of archery there doesn't seem to be many people where my crew and I go. The harder to get to spots are usually open unless guys are going in on horseback/mules, etc. The further east you go, the better the mule deer IMO. The more west you get, the more elk. It is true there are a lot of predators and they have got deer and elk skiddish and ready to run at the drop of a hat. Last season on the hike in to our elk spot we saw 4 bears over the 6 mile walk. Big Muleys will be up in the alpine areas, but they are far and few between. When you do see one, it's going to be a big boomer!

OP
Eastman528
I hunt the Eagle Caps and have alternated between archery and rifle tags for both muleys and elk. Opener of archery there doesn't seem to be many people where my crew and I go. The harder to get to spots are usually open unless guys are going in on horseback/mules, etc. The further east you go, the better the mule deer IMO. The more west you get, the more elk. It is true there are a lot of predators and they have got deer and elk skiddish and ready to run at the drop of a hat. Last season on the hike in to our elk spot we saw 4 bears over the 6 mile walk. Big Muleys will be up in the alpine areas, but they are far and few between. When you do see one, it's going to be a big boomer!
mbailey25 Thanks for the reply, I didnt figure there would be too many elk hunters the first part of the season, if its anything like Idaho allot of elk hunters wait until a little later in September. I like the fact that the season starts before archery in Idaho it would give me an opportunity for a little earlier hunt for mule deer and I could still do my Idaho elk/deer hunting. Is there just not allot of predator hunting/management over there? Im sure allot of it has to do with the Wilderness, same in Idaho no shortage of black bear or wolves in the wilderness areas.

mbailey25

WKR
mbailey25 Thanks for the reply, I didnt figure there would be too many elk hunters the first part of the season, if its anything like Idaho allot of elk hunters wait until a little later in September. I like the fact that the season starts before archery in Idaho it would give me an opportunity for a little earlier hunt for mule deer and I could still do my Idaho elk/deer hunting. Is there just not allot of predator hunting/management over there? Im sure allot of it has to do with the Wilderness, same in Idaho no shortage of black bear or wolves in the wilderness areas.
It’s pretty irritating with the lack of predator control. The Minam unit takes 3 years to draw a bear tag. That’s the unit we were in and saw 4 bears by the time we made it 6 miles in. There are bear everywhere, cats too!

TripleJ

WKR
It’s pretty irritating with the lack of predator control. The Minam unit takes 3 years to draw a bear tag. That’s the unit we were in and saw 4 bears by the time we made it 6 miles in. There are bear everywhere, cats too!

Par for the course for this state unfortunately.

OP
Eastman528
Man you waited a year to late.
Season just finally pushed back a week for 2020.

Dang thats sucks.. I had not seen that. Changes things for sure I really liked the early date for mule deer but still interested.

I have hunted the Imnaha for a long time and the deer numbers are horrible wolf numbers are thriving. Most of my hunting has been focused more towards the elk side of the things and the unit gets a lot of pressure even in the high country from people packing in on horses and you have a hard time getting away from people no matter were you go.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted the Imnaha for a long time and the deer numbers are horrible wolf numbers are thriving. Most of my hunting has been focused more towards the elk side of the things and the unit gets a lot of pressure even in the high country from people packing in on horses and you have a hard time getting away from people no matter were you go.

Sorry to say but very good advice above!. Wilderness areas are like a magnet anymore.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted Imnaha the last couple years mostly for elk and once for deer. Was unsuccessful for deer and based on what I saw (or didn't) this last year I went to my old unit for deer and saw 56 bucks in a week of hunting. Every time I have hunted Imnaha I have been able to get on elk and get away from other hunters without packing into the wilderness.
For deer I would look somewhere else.

OP
Eastman528
Sorry to say but very good advice above!. Wilderness areas are like a magnet anymore.

Advice? I didn’t see any advice given just general personal observations. I get the intent and I believe what you and bigsheepcreek are saying to be accurate. I am sure the Imnaha is particularly popular. However what everyone is saying in general could be applied to just about every state or wilderness area certainly in the NW, unfortunately. I expect a certain amount of it putting a post like this out there and I do appreciate the honesty that’s part of why I made the post is to get a feel for the area and to manage my expectations.

I get it I grew up hunting in and still spend time in literally Ground 0 of the Wolf reintroduction. I see it all the time though, someone asking about hunting in Idaho and there is always the stereotypical “wolves ate em all, country is steep, hunters behind every tree, you will surely die” comment and I just shake my head. I understand trust me I have had out of state hunters move into “my hunting spots” I have dealt with wolves and competition from other hunters etc. Somehow I have found success in some of the most hunter congested and wolf congested units in Idaho. I don’t expect to receive nor would I give hard earned specific information but trying to utilize scare tactics to detour other hunters might work on some people but it’s not going to solve any of our problems.

I hesitate to say this because it has become somewhat of a buzzword but we are all in this together.

OP
Eastman528
I have hunted Imnaha the last couple years mostly for elk and once for deer. Was unsuccessful for deer and based on what I saw (or didn't) this last year I went to my old unit for deer and saw 56 bucks in a week of hunting. Every time I have hunted Imnaha I have been able to get on elk and get away from other hunters without packing into the wilderness.
For deer I would look somewhere else.

Thanks for the insight on your experience. I agree with what I think you and others are saying basically that “backcountry” and wilderness hunting is the popular thing and I’m guilty of falling to that as well. It’s a bummer to hear that about the deer numbers. The thing is I honestly have excellent mule deer hunting opportunities near my house and I do and will take advantage of those. I just really enjoy being in the “high country” and a big goal of mine is to kill a mature buck in the mountains. Which led me to look for opportunities starting in closest proximity to home and it just so happens to be that some places in Oregon are closer than Idaho. A reality I am starting to face that to get that experience I will likely have to deal with hunting in places with low deer densities unless I am willing to leave the NW.

I’d like to visit with you more if you don’t mind I’ll send you a PM.

I got no stakes in Imnaha but you do realize the only Wolf control in Oregon is for farmers that have proven predation.
Fish & game in Or or any other agency does not give a flying crap about predator impact in the eagle cap wilderness. And to my knowledge are doing nothing to control predators in that area.
It not a scare tactic by me I've never set foot in the area and probably never will.
Mule deer in Oregon are in the tanks. I'm burning 11 points in Oregon this year and feel it's a complete waste. I'm not saying there are no big bucks in Oregon. But I bet there are 90% less big bucks then any other western states. Look at boone and Crockett entrys. It no joke here man, were ran by libtards.

You have already waited till one of the poorest season date years.
Why not wait 1 more year and go scouting in August.?
That's the only way you'll know for sure

OP
Eastman528
I got no stakes in Imnaha but you do realize the only Wolf control in Oregon is for farmers that have proven predation.
Fish & game in Or or any other agency does not give a flying crap about predator impact in the eagle cap wilderness. And to my knowledge are doing nothing to control predators in that area.
It not a scare tactic by me I've never set foot in the area and probably never will.
Mule deer in Oregon are in the tanks. I'm burning 11 points in Oregon this year and feel it's a complete waste. I'm not saying there are no big bucks in Oregon. But I bet there are 90% less big bucks then any other western states. Look at boone and Crockett entrys. It no joke here man, were ran by libtards.

Yes, I understand that and you bring up some good points. Its really unfortunate the political climate in Oregon and Washington and the direction its taking game management. Makes a guy appreciate Idaho although its not perfect. I think that is allot of the concern among Idaho residents with the population explosion in Boise that it becomes the next Portland or Seattle in that sense. Not to get too political but that is one positive of living in a state where the cattle men have some political pull. Also the fact that we can still run hounds and have spring and fall bear seasons in most areas is big. I didn't intend to come off naive or arrogant I agree from what I am hearing and the little research I have done the situation isn't good I guess I just feel unfortunately if I don't deal with wolves I am not gonna have many places to hunt. In 2018 I drew an archery elk tag in Idaho, I had talked to the Biologist who said it was doubtful I would run into wolves as they had managed them pretty heavily due to a historic grazing lease. First evening of the hunt my friend and I backpacked in 5 miles to a basin got camp setup and did some glassing and cold calling, we were answered by wolves.

You are exactly right with your last post, I didn't understand Oregon's system I just assumed the way it was in the reg's was same year to year until I looked at 2020. I think that is the way to do it, hopefully I can get some boots on the ground I guess I am just stubborn.