Oregon IP13 Ballot Initiative Hunting Ban among other things

They are so far left, they may be an Island.
Get more than 40 miles from Portland and Oregon looks like most other states. Hell, 2/3rds of Oregon is more conservative than most of Texas at this point.

Oregon is yet another "one city" state, like New Mexico and Illinois and quite a few others. Everyone wants to judge the whole state on the actions of the idiots in the one big city. Where I lived in SE New Mexico and Southern Illinois was just as conseravtive as rural SE Texas. No difference whatsoever.

If people can't differentiate between the nutjobs in those big cities and the rest of the state, they aren't trying very hard.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Get more than 40 miles from Portland and Oregon looks like most other states. Hell, 2/3rds of Oregon is more conservative than most of Texas at this point.

Oregon is yet another "one city" state, like New Mexico and Illinois and quite a few others. Everyone wants to judge the whole state on the actions of the idiots in the one big city. Where I lived in SE New Mexico and Southern Illinois was just as conseravtive as rural SE Texas. No difference whatsoever.

If people can't differentiate between the nutjobs in those big cities and the rest of the state, they aren't trying very hard.
I will say states do get a bad rap because of a few weird cities but, that is just the way it is. How about Bend I have a friend who moved from there about two years ago and he said they have gone lib.

I will say states do get a bad rap because of a few weird cities but, that is just the way it is. How about Bend I have a friend who moved from there about two years ago and he said they have gone lib.
I don't live there but I was in Bend in June. Downtown by the river I saw some dreads and tats and hipster folks enjoying themselves at a brewery. Seemed like nice enough folks. They were there to enjoy the live music, have a beer and eat some food just like my wife and I were. The rest of town reminded me of Aspen, CO to be honest. LOL (apologies to anyone from Bend) But a few miles outside of city center, I saw neighborhoods and then ranches and then logging trucks and it looked pretty much like every other working class region I've ever been to.

If being offended by people with diverse lifestyles and points of view isn't your thing, then I'd suggest staying away from cities in general. I don't go into Houston or Austin or DFW unless I absolutely have to. San Antonio is the only major city in TX I can tolerate. I avoid cities mostly because I hate cities, but not because I can't tolerate someone's different lifestyle or point of view.

Last edited:

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Bend is mini California. Literally, majority of the people gobbling up the houses are straight from California. Its been lib for a while now.

I did 4 or 5 trips (long weekends) in Bend this spring/early summer as I live on the other side of the mountains. Illinois, California, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Minnesota, etc license plates everywhere. Some out paced even Cali plates. One of our stays our place was a guest house right on the Deschutes. The people in the main house were from Illinois and had been there a month. I'd love to own an airbnb there. The money you can get for them in that town is crazy.

JeffP_Or

WKR
UPDATE: according to OHA [Oregon hunters Assoc], the authors of IP13 have withdrawn the measure for 2022 ballot. They have REFILED a similar Proposal for 2024 - IP3.

I have not yet found where they have officially backed off of IP13 but web searches show the new website for IP3 [I won't link it here] and it appears identical but with new text. Since they withdrew, they have to start the process over completely - gather signatures to get it submitted for a review and title by Secretary of State; if approved, gather the signatures required for getting it on the 2024 ballot. The umber of signatures varies and I believe it is a percentage of the number of winning votes for a gubernatorial candidate - we have a pile of people signed up for the race in 2022 and I wonder if that is a tactic as the turn-out and winning votes may be less due to number of candidates?

Regardless, it appears IP3 is more defined and is also more far-reaching than the original.

JeffP_Or

WKR
It's going nowhere.
Let's hope so; these types of things can be relentless - as you no doubt know! I would like to understand the tactic for their IP3 filing for 2024.

Did they leave themselves short on time for 2022 and couldn't get signatures correctly last year?
Is there a numbers benefit to signature gathering after an election year?
Or will they simply not give up and are hoping the population influx moves their direction?

I did see where basically everything web and social media wise has simply been altered from IP13 to now IP3 - but there are still some edits they have not/cannot make.

There’s no way the state of Oregon would outlaw meat and dairy production. We may be more liberal than some, but there’s a supermajority that likes cheese.

pirogue

WKR
We all know about CA. Didn’t WA just put a damper on bear? Those 3 libtard treehugger states on the west coast are pitiful, just pitiful.

We all know about CA. Didn’t WA just put a damper on bear? Those 3 libtard treehugger states on the west coast are pitiful, just pitiful.
Respectfully, some genius filing initiative language that couldn’t even get enough signatures to make the ballot isn’t a great pretext for you to run your mouth about the Beaver State or the people who live here. I’ll agree not to judge you and your state by the legislation it doesn’t enact.

JeffP_Or

WKR
UPDATE: IP3 was submitted and signatures validated on 5.4.22 allowing the Attorney General to title the petition - the petitioners submitted 1224 signatures: https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/2024-irr.aspx

The title is due from the Attorney General on 5.12.22 and then there is a public comment period to affirm validity of the title [IP13 failed at that and was resubmitted to the attorney general for retitling].

Current PDF document with text as submitted: https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/irr/003text.pdf
Remember - BOLD is new proposed text; ITALIC is propoed deleted text.

JeffP_Or

WKR
There’s no way the state of Oregon would outlaw meat and dairy production. We may be more liberal than some, but there’s a supermajority that likes cheese.
Let's hope that is not the case - we've been surprised here before though. The unfortunate part is that the sales pitch is all about 'animal cruelty' - if a person doesn't get educated or educate themselves and just votes yes because they hate 'animal cruelty' - it passes by voter approval.

Reading the text, meat/poultry production is not in question, it is the methods under which it happens that is. One can continue to produce at will in the state - it all just has to occur naturally [no insemination for example]; unencumbered. If you want meat product to be sold on the market - that animal has to have lived a natural life and died naturally of old age [mmmmm, old chicken fryers!]. The text specifically allows meat product to be imported from other states - it just cannot be raised, butchered and sold as currently exists in standard ag processes in Oregon.

grapo13

FNG
What a wild idea, but there’s no way it will pass. Oregon always has wild bills they are trying to get signatures for. Not enough crazies around here yet for that though.

Verdugo60

FNG
Coming to a state near you. Look at California. The urban centers control the whole state. Portland, Denver, Seattle, it’s happening out west everywhere. Soon there will be no place to escape the leftist garbage.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Bumping this back to the top for a reminder that the deadline for comment on the proposed ballot title and commentary for IP 2024-003 [current replacement for IP13] are due TODAY - 5.26.2022 - to the Secretary of the States' office.

The comment period is not about the appropriateness of the legislative but how it is presented to the public by the state in their title and commentary [so ranting to the state about this at this point will not impact its progress].

DRAFT LANGUAGE

Comments will not stop the proposal but they may force a delay by the state to release approval for signature gathering; the petitioners have ample time until the 2024 submission is required but every consideration will be helpful.

From what has been relayed to me, Oregon Hunters Association, RMEF, BHA (OR Chapter), Ducks Unlimited, NWTF, American Kennel Club, Safari Club International, Oregon Farm Bureau, Oregon Cattlemen's Association and Oregon Dairy Farmers are all reviewing and intend on providing comment - a great representative of collaborative efforts.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Portland controls the whole state ,,, East of the mountains best prepare yourselves
Unfortunately, the 'control' has expanded beyond just Portland these days; Bend and immediately surrounding expansion, Eugene, and the Ashland/Medford area. There are some other up and comers as well including some quiet murmurs coming out of LaGrande [take at look at some of the legislative public commentary posted on OLIS].

This state of mine I live in is full of crazy idiots. They are launching the initiative again for 2024 and calling it IP3. It is even more far reaching than IP13 was written. We have a special kind of breed in this state.

The danger with this kind of sweeping legislative proposal (other than the content) is that it’s often used to see which parts draw the strongest opposition, and then the proponents keep refining it until it gains traction.

One of my concerns is that (because the ag industry/lobby is so well organized and financed) the public land hunters start to look like the low-hanging fruit.

Fortunately for us, the geniuses behind this initiative don’t seem to have read that part of the play book.