Oregon Jackson County Cali Bighorn Sheep dead head found.

Found a dead head in southern OR 60+ miles from the nearest area I can find documentation of a semi recent heard placed on the Klamath river. It sounds like the Klamath water shed has sheep but not jaskson county. Is it worth a report to ODFW? Or just a special find?

Attachments

• 20220609_155833.jpg
    20220609_155833.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 20220609_155818.jpg
    20220609_155818.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 318
  • 20220609_155825.jpg
    20220609_155825.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 317

Rob5589

WKR
Illegal to keep sheds? Or because it's a ram? Seems kinda silly you couldn't keep something like that.

Deadheads are often illegal to keep, whereas antler sheds are often fair game. Rules vary by location...

Can't hurt to email pics and GPS coordinates to the biologists...

I think this is something that you should notify ODFW about...

Oregon Big Game Regulations 2022, page 16:

"No person shall possess or transport any
game mammal or part thereof, which has
been illegally killed, found or killed for
humane reasons, except lawfully obtained
shed antlers, unless they have notified and
received permission from personnel of
the Oregon State Police or ODFW prior to
transporting.
• No person shall possess the horns of bighorn
sheep or Rocky Mtn goat that were not taken
legally during an authorized season."

NVBighorn

FNG
Cool find. Closest occupied sheep country to Jackson County would be in the Paisley, Christmas Valley area. Quite a distance. I would say let ODFW know. They might want to consider if this is a regular walk-about and if so, do they come in contact with any domestic sheep. And if so, do they bring something home to the wife and kids.
Looks like good ram. Any pictures of him turned up out of the vegetation? I mean I don't want to see him on your garage floor or anything but I'd like to see more of him. :D

pirogue

WKR
Spoke to odfw in klamath and they gave me permission to bring it to them.
“They gave me permission to bring it to them”? Major laziness on their part. I know law says unlawful and not same as sheds. But think of how many cases of mountain lion demise fall under the SSS principle. I bet if you told ODFW you wasn’t picking it up, but here are the coordinates, it would still be there a month later.

JeffP_Or

WKR
bummer. but still cool to find out; certainly hard to distinguish in its condition.
who will be the first to post that ODFW are lying and they are trying to hide a super secret population that only the upper echelon of fish & game employees have access to hunt......:LOL: