Oregon Legal Bullet Rec For Ultralite

So 2020 is the yr, burning 11 points.
Time to get my crap together. I have a Knight Western ultralite.
I worked up a sub moa Wash legal load. But Oregon is another story.
So if your from another state and haven't specifically researched Or your bullet is not legal, aka more restrictive the anywhere else.
Power belt is not legal.
But I'm talking 50 Cal here.
It has to be all lead or all metal. No tips,bases,sabots etc. Nothing of any kind, raw bullet only.
So what say you all what's out there? Thors shot like poo out of my cva, hornady great plains isn't doing it for me. Le high never seems to have anything in stock. So far all I'm really left with is T/c maxi ball or maxi hunter.

OP
BRTreedogs
No one?
I ordered a no excuses sizing pack. They look promising.
Idk about 420 grains seems heavy as I'm just after deer.

Wrench

WKR
I shoot the 495's with a felt wad and 80 grs (measured not weighed) of 777 ffg. Shoots really good from my wolf.

OP
BRTreedogs
I shoot the 495's with a felt wad and 80 grs (measured not weighed) of 777 ffg. Shoots really good from my wolf.

Awesome thanks.
I'm not super familiar with muzzy. All the bullets I've use so far have a cup and are self sealing.
Do you have to use the felt wad?
Seems like it would be a major hassle reloading in the field.

Wrench

WKR
The wad sticks to the bullet. I don't know how they would shoot without them...I used it from the first shot and it was successful....so I did not mess with luck.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I HIGHLY advise Bullshop .504-460 Bullets, Lubed with NASA Lube. Dan Will Size them to whatever you need 👍

The Bullet Base is what Actually Steers the Bullet, You definitely don’t want the Wad sticking to the Bullet Base!! Wool Felt wads will NOT Stick, this is the Reason i use, and Swear by them. I buy the Store Bought OX-Yoke Brand Wool Felt Wads, They are 1/8” Thick. In .50 Cal Rifles i prefer .54 Cal Wool Felt Wads for the Extra Seal.

I liked the Bullshop Bullet So well that i sent 1 to Accurate Molds in Utah and had Tom Cut me a Mold. I have Since Revised it. But Nothing Wrong with the Original 👍 This Target was Shot on Video (My YouTube Channel) Shot with OPEN/PEEP Sights
cauQ9rwl.jpg

What mine look like from 1 of my Molds, This Bullet Weighs 457 Grains When Cast of PURE LEAD
d4lvENSl.jpg

OPEN/PEEP Sights. Another Version of the Bullet Above, This Target was Also Also on my YouTube Channel
EqZ6obWl.jpg

OP
BRTreedogs
Wow ya that's a smoker load.
Man heavy bullets, I'm concerned with bullet drop.
But looks like I don't have a choice.
How do you deal with reloading I'm the field when its 10° with the wad and a follow up shot?
Guess you could probably just forgo it if you need a follow up shop.

I am another user of the 460 Bullshop… Really good bullet.

This Ballistic Sheet will give you a good ideal on Ballistics.

90460-MTNEx.jpg

With the required open sites this bullet will do a lot for you...

Another one you might consider is the 400LGP. Dan advertises it as a 400 but a friend of mine weighed his and they are really closer to 430.

bullshopBullets.jpg

That friend did harvest an Idaho controlled hunt bull this year using his Wolverine and a .503x400. His range to the animal was right at 200 yds. Both bullets were pass throughs.

Nesbit-Bull.jpg

Dan will size the bullet to your bore, so you will need to let him know what size bullet you will need. With the ULite which tend to have a tight bore I would think .502 would be your size.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks.

Does t7 ignite reliable with a musket cap?
Pyrodex is all anyone really uses around here.

Mr. Sabotloader will be better for answering this, as he shoots a Lot of T7, Mike is also a WEALTH of Knowledge with that Knight Ultra Light 👍 I have Handled, and Shot one, FELL IN LOVE With it!! I HIGHLY Recommend the Knight Ultra Light To ANYONE looking for an AWESOME Lightweight inline Muzzleloader to Hunt with, it’s as Good as it Gets in my Opinion 👍

I shoot Swiss 2F Real Blackpowder Pretty much Exclusively. I have Shot T7 3F as well, and plan to tinker with it More this Spring/Summer, At this Point My limited Experience with T7 3F Has been ALL POSITIVE! I really liked it!! It is HOT Stuff, Very Similar to The Swiss Real Blackpowder i shoot For Velocity. And ignition was AWESOME with No. 11 CCi Magnum Caps, So i have NO DOUBT you are Good to go with Musket Caps

Make sure the Musket Caps you use are the GOOD German ones! RWS 1081 I believe they are Called? Stay away from the Re-Enactor Musket Caps!! Also make Sure the Musket Nipple Flash Channel is Opened to .031-.032, Some Nipples like the Treso Ampco’s Come with a TINY .028 Flash Hole Which works STELLAR with Real Blackpowder, But NOT with Substitutes like T7 And Pyrodex, The Sub Powders need a Little Hotter Spark To Reliably ignite.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
I am another user of the 460 Bullshop… Really good bullet.

This Ballistic Sheet will give you a good ideal on Ballistics.

90460-MTNEx.jpg

With the required open sites this bullet will do a lot for you...

Another one you might consider is the 400LGP. Dan advertises it as a 400 but a friend of mine weighed his and they are really closer to 430.

bullshopBullets.jpg

That friend did harvest an Idaho controlled hunt bull this year using his Wolverine and a .503x400. His range to the animal was right at 200 yds. Both bullets were pass throughs.

Nesbit-Bull.jpg

Dan will size the bullet to your bore, so you will need to let him know what size bullet you will need. With the ULite which tend to have a tight bore I would think .502 would be your size.
+1
g.png

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Wow ya that's a smoker load.
Man heavy bullets, I'm concerned with bullet drop.
But looks like I don't have a choice.
How do you deal with reloading I'm the field when its 10° with the wad and a follow up shot?
Guess you could probably just forgo it if you need a follow up shop.

I don’t Find Loading the Wad to be a Problem? But On a Quick Follow up Re-Load to Finish, I see No problem with Stuffing the Bullet Down on the Powder and GO! But if you have an Extra Second, Push that Wad down First, Protect that Bullet Base 👍

T7 is HOT powder, and it gets ROUGH on Bullet Bases, Since the Base of the Bullet is what Actually Steers the Bullet, i SWEAR By Protecting the Bullet Base from the Hot Gasses of the Powder Charge. I Shoot Bench/Target almost Exclusively, I Swab Between Shots, I try and make EVERY shot as identical as possible to Eachother, I am going for ULTIMATE Accuracy. Hunting, I TOTALLY understand is a VERY Different Deal. I would Test a Few Shots Before Hunting, playing out the “Follow up shot” Scenario, That way you KNOW Exactly what to Expect 👍

Awesome thanks.

Does t7 ignite reliable with a musket cap?
Pyrodex is all anyone really uses around here.

It will ignite with a musket cap... but I would really suggest you try #11 Mag caps or even better the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+. The Mag and the Nobel burn with the same temp as a Musket cap, + today most of the Musket caps are returning to re-enactment version. In the long run I really think you will like T7 way more than any of the Pyros.

11-Caps-a.jpg

RWS-Dynamit-Noble-1075-plus.jpg

This is what I believe is the best capper

HuntCapper.jpg

The next really important thing for is to get the correct capper and nipple. When you put the cap on - push it on tight - then pull the capper straight out (not back). If you have the right nipple the convolutions on the cap will be stretched and the breech will become pretty much water proof. The only way to get the cap off is to shoot it off or peel it off with a knife blade.

11-Composite2.jpg

T7... I use 2f 99% of the time when shooting a inline and 3f when shooting a sidehammer.

As Lewis said I believe it is really important to have a flash that measures 0.031.

Last edited:
OP
BRTreedogs
I have the Rws caps. If I remember they are the 1081s. Black jar yellow label.
My ultralite is a NW Edition so it will have the factory #11 nipple.
Oregon is so restrictive muzzy just isn't supported locally.
All you can find is t7 3f or pyro. Maxiballs or Great plains. It took some time to even find the rws caps.

The problem I'm seeing with reloading the wad is.
It's my first real deer tag, its usually pouring rain or absolutely bitter cold and windy. And I am only interested in stocking larger then usual bucks on my 1st high point tag.
And I usually loose my crap when in range on animals. So the challenge is me, not really the wads.

I'm no expert by any means but next time you make it to the Valley there is a muzzle loader shop in Springfield. You might look them up, they have a lot of stuff in stock. Gun Works is the name

I have the Rws caps. If I remember they are the 1081s. Black jar yellow label.
My ultralite is a NW Edition so it will have the factory #11 nipple.
Oregon is so restrictive muzzy just isn't supported locally.
All you can find is t7 3f or pyro. Maxiballs or Great plains. It took some time to even find the rws caps.

The problem I'm seeing with reloading the wad is.
It's my first real deer tag, its usually pouring rain or absolutely bitter cold and windy. And I am only interested in stocking larger then usual bucks on my 1st high point tag.
And I usually loose my crap when in range on animals. So the challenge is me, not really the wads.

Oregon is restrictive - but Idaho is worse!

3f will work just fine if that is your only option...

These guys are located in La Grande and they have everything at really decent pricing. I don't think they hit to hard on shipping either.

OP
BRTreedogs
Oregon is restrictive - but Idaho is worse!

3f will work just fine if that is your only option...

These guys are located in La Grande and they have everything at really decent pricing. I don't think they hit to hard on shipping either.

Ahh idk Idaho let's you use powerbelts.
Oregon has to be open sights, open ignition, loose powder. They let us have fiber optic open sights.
That would be the only place I can ththink Idaho is more restrictive.?
Thanks for the help.

Well also remember Oregon will allow you to use full bore copper bullets as long is they are less than 3% lead - unless they have changed again!

There is a possibility that Lehigh may make a full bore copper sabotless bullet in the near future... hopefully.

Currently they are making a 45 sabotless...

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

Is this the current Muzzleloading regulations for Oregon

Muzzleloader During muzzleloader only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only:

It is unlawful to:
• Use scopes or sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy except for visually impaired hunters with a permit (see page 23). Open and peep sights are legal, including open and peep sights with fiber optics or fluorescent paint on them.
• Hunt with or have in possession while hunting, sabots or bullets with plastic or synthetic parts. Cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.
• Hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition sources; the muzzleloader must have an open ignition. See definition on page 87.
• Hunt with pelletized powders or propellants. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants. • Hunt with a revolving action muzzleloader.

I do not see where this limits you to lead conicals, full bore yes but not just lead. This information was taken from a 2019 Oregon State Regulations, although it does indicate 2020 Regulations also.

Follow this link

OP
BRTreedogs
It does not limit me to lead.
But thors shot like crud in my cva, and I couldn't even get the .500 copper thor all the way down the muzzle of the Ultra lite.
So that leaves Lehigh which I've never found in stock.
And I know of nothing else all metal, unless bull shop makes something.