Oregon Legal Bullet Rec For Ultralite

IdahoHntr

WKR
The guys that have responded above have forgot more about muzzleloading than I've ever known, but I thought I'd share what worked for me as a big buck hunter that occasionally picks up the muzzleloader when the tag gives me a chance at a good buck.

With my Idaho deer tag this past year I shot the 420 gr no excuses over 95 gr pyrodex with a veg fiber wad. I tested the load without the wad and impacts were very similar as far elevation, just not near as consistent of groups. My plan was to skip the wad if I was reloading in a huge hurry. For most loads I don't think it would be too big of an issue to just skip the wad in a quick reloading scenario, but I'd just test it out and see first. Having a wad really reigned my groups in and made this load much more consistent than I thought possible with a muzzleloader with open sights. I unfortunately didn't get to test this load on a buck, but it did shoot extremely accurately out to 150 yards with open sights, and I'm sure even further if I'd have spent more time on it.

OP
BRTreedogs
Awesome thanks.

I'm looking for as main stream a bullet as possible that way I can assure I can get them.

I totally understand the open ignition and iron sights.
But I don't understand the bullet limitations.
You think they would want us to have an accurate load and a clean kill.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
With Oregon they changed the wording in 2019 from all lead or non toxic copper/brass to what is stated above post.. So If we want we can use a copper jacketed lead bullet . Just no plastic tip . Easy fix remove it . I switched from my trusty 460 grain Bull Shop bullet to Hornady FPB 50.cal 350 grain bullet with conical base . I bought a lee bullet resizer and pre size the bullets before use, My Knight Ultra bore is .501 . The bullet preforms great It harvested 3 elk last year 2019 , single shots . At over a 100 yards my elk went straight down. Bull shop bullet worked just as good I kept forgetting to put in shot card . Didn't notice any lead build up in the barrel thou , Muzzlerloader.com in LaGrande Ore has Hornady FPB 50 cal 350 gr ... Guess I should say my group used the same bullet,,, and harvested 3 elk all single shot

Attachments

• 20191009_160838.jpg
    20191009_160838.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190425_192230349.jpg
    IMG_20190425_192230349.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
BRTreedogs
With Oregon they changed the wording in 2019 from all lead or non toxic copper/brass to what is stated above post.. So If we want we can use a copper jacketed lead bullet . Just no plastic tip . Easy fix remove it . I switched from my trusty 460 grain Bull Shop bullet to Hornady FPB 50.cal 350 grain bullet with conical base . I bought a lee bullet resizer and pre size the bullets before use, My Knight Ultra bore is .501 . The bullet preforms great It harvested 3 elk last year 2019 , single shots . At over a 100 yards my elk went straight down. Bull shop bullet worked just as good I kept forgetting to put in shot card . Didn't notice any lead build up in the barrel thou , Muzzlerloader.com in LaGrande Ore has Hornady FPB 50 cal 350 gr ... Guess I should say my group used the same bullet,,, and harvested 3 elk all single shot

Hmm very interesting.
I bet I've re read those regs 6 times and didn't pick up that change.

OP
BRTreedogs
I had a thor sizing pack, and my bore was dry from sitting in the safe, but I could barely get the .500 out of my rifle. .501 wouldn't even start.?

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I had a thor sizing pack, and my bore was dry from sitting in the safe, but I could barely get the .500 out of my rifle. .501 wouldn't even start.?

How bout Paper Patch? It’s EASY, Fun to do, and can be very Accurate when done Correctly

Or just Plain Ole BIG LEAD, This is 1 of my Fast Twist Sidelocks, Open/Peep Sights at 600 Yards

This is my Old Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist at 600 Yards with Paper Patched BIG Lead. I had a 25 Power Scope on here Though, That takes a BUNCH of Challenge out of it

It does not limit me to lead.
But thors shot like crud in my cva, and I couldn't even get the .500 copper thor all the way down the muzzle of the Ultra lite.
So that leaves Lehigh which I've never found in stock.
And I know of nothing else all metal, unless bull shop makes something.

There is a better option than the Thor in my mind. Take a look at the Hornady FPB. Contact Ole Hunter on this site - he is shoot the FPB with very good results

You have to remove the plastic tip to use it in Oregon - but that is an easy job. You will also probably want to resize them to fit your barrel for easier loading.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Here are the Bullets you would need for your .50 Cal, .492 Diameter, When Patched they Will measure .499-.500, These weigh 450 Grains

iIRQYQol.jpg

OP
BRTreedogs
So I tried the no excuses sizing pack tonight.
502 took some thumb pressure and loaded nice, no fears if would bounce off powder good rifling grooves.

.503 was hard to start, had to use palm of hand. Almost had to use a bullet starter.
All clean bore.

I'm leaving towards the .502
Thanks for the replys so far.

OP
BRTreedogs
Finally making headway.
My rifle hates T7 absolutely terrible.
Finally got a 2.75" group at 100 with 100grns pyrodex RS and the 420 no excuses. It was getting dirty to. Shots 5,6,7
Probably going shoot one more clean bore group at 100 with the scope and hope to shrink that some.

Then switch it back to the peep and zero it.

OP
BRTreedogs
good news - bad news Lehigh does possible make a bullet that would/could work for you? I am still hoping that he will develope a true sabotless bullet.

mike

I wish I had the patience for shooting as you do.
If I can get a group under 3" at 100 with the peep that's all the better I can really expect out of me and I'll probably call that good.
I know it could be better with more patience but idk if I have it in me.