Oregon legal range report

CVA Optima 50 cal. Oregon, Idaho, Colorado and Washington legal.

The Bullet is a MaxiBall 370 gr., lubed the bottom groove only-home lube, a sub-base, 75 gr. of Swiss 2F and a Musket Cap.
CVA shots target.JPG

The distance was 75 yards (9 o'clock, 2 shots), 100 yards (6 o'clock, 2 shots)
CVA shots bullets.JPG

CVA shots peep.JPG

CVA shots front sight.JPG

I am looking for an antelope hunt in either Utah or Texas. These are two states that I have not hunted in. If anyone has an outfitter that they would recommend, please follow up.

Next is to shoot at 125 and 150. If anyone has some posted velocity results from those distances, I would like to hear that. Oregon muzzleloader units are impacted, so out-of-state is necessary.

I buy the MaxiBalls online and lube the bottom groove only, based on others trials.

Nice.
I'm not sure on velocity.
But with 100 grn pyrodex and a 420 no excuses im 5" high at 100 zeroed at 125 and 10" low at 150

OP
S
I would expect similar results with this 370 gr. bullet. I too have some 420 NE bullets that will be tested soon. I assume you just put out a target at those ranges and checked the drop.

Thanks for the benchmark numbers. Are you getting good ignition with those pellets with a non 209 primer?

This probably will not help you a lot. I shoot .503x400 LGP's, made by Bull Shop Dan. This ballistic sheet was calculated using 100 grains of T7 with a velocity of 1550. Most will tell you that is to much velocity and will lead to lead fouling up the bore. So far with Bull Shop's NASA lubed bullets that does not happen. I also use a MMP 50 Cal. Sub Bridge under the bullet to completely seal the gas and prevent melting the bottom of the bullet.

This ballistic sheet was computed with a - 3" Point Blank Range - so you can see at 100 yards I am up approximately 2". The sheet also indicates the other pertinent range information.

400grBS.jpg

These have performed really well! This pic of a recovered LGP from an elk shot at 180/85 yards

Bullshop_503x400LGP.jpg

Last edited:
I would expect similar results with this 370 gr. bullet. I too have some 420 NE bullets that will be tested soon. I assume you just put out a target at those ranges and checked the drop.

Thanks for the benchmark numbers. Are you getting good ignition with those pellets with a non 209 primer?
12" steel plate

Wapiti1

WKR
Sagebrush Hunts, Jeremy Gugelmeyer, for Texas antelope in the panhandle. No idea is he has anything available this late in the year.

Nice setup and shooting.

Jeremy

OP
S
Thanks for those reply specs. Hunting in the deep woods of Oregon my long shots are 75 yards. If I ever get a chance at a greater distance for antelope, I just need to learn the hold over. Without an adjustable rear sight I will learn the appropriate drop and learn the hold over.

For target work, I plan to use an archery antelope target for competition archery shoots. If the chest depth of an antelope is about 16" I can guess how much to hold over. I don't think I will shoot beyond 150 yards.

Some outfitters in Texas are 5 years booked. So, still researching.

Some of our antelope, muzzleloader, zones are 35 years to draw a tag. We do have a slight chance to beat that because 25% of the available tags go to anyone in the drawing. It seems like my luck with the lottery is not helping me up to this point. I do enjoy the practice shooting in the wait period.