Oregon Mule Deer Units

NJ2OR

FNG
Hello!

I have been searching forums and scouring the data for Mule Deer units in eastern Oregon for general archery season for 2024. The data seems to suggest that SE Oregon has the best outlook for harvesting a deer. Now, most forums I have found do not provide any real useful information. I understand the Mule Deer populations are overall suffering and I understand that this is upsetting, but I am hoping to receive some information that is helpful rather than just getting complaints.

That said, for the points I have and what the data tells me, I am leaning toward the Juniper unit or Owyhee unit. The Juniper unit seems to be slightly better statistically, but perhaps is lacking water availability. The Owyhee unit is appealing to me due to a significant water source and wilderness that I can hike in and get away from people.

Does anyone have first hand experience in these units? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

*I am not in search of a record monster muley. I just want to have a hunt in the high desert, see some deer and new country, and hopefully have an opportunity or two to stalk a good buck*

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Any of those SE units will have what you're looking for. Archery is all a draw now I believe in Eastern Oregon. Just pick one that has the type of terrain you're looking for and get out there. In my experience in those units, there isn't nearly the pressure that you will see during the rifle hunts. Also, late August and early September the bucks will still be in there summer habits, some still in velvet which to me makes them easier to find. PM me if you'd like

hunterjmj

WKR
Put your finger on the map and go check it out. Data is great but nothing beats boots on the ground. I spent many years hunting and trapping the Owyhees. Spent every weekend I could scouring that country for deer, coyotes and bobcats. Bring fuel and do some exploring. No better way to learn an area.

Last edited:
I take alot of the stats with a grain of salt, never know who is lying on the mandatory reports or how many kills were on private. Like said above, just pick a unit with the terrain or type of hunt you want and send it.

Seems like some great advice above. Pick the terrain you want to run around in and let 'er rip! Take note the archery dates are later since you started doing your research, so they won't have velvet on quite as long as before.

I would not use the statistics as my only guidepost, especially for SE Oregon. That area isn't like Western or some other regions where you can just show up anywhere and hunt. If you're going to SE you should really have an idea of where you can hunt. We did some backpacking along the Owyhee and it was nasty, nasty country in the spot we picked - other places are much nicer, greener, etc. Definitely scout some good looking areas before throwing in on it.

Tmac

WKR
East side is all controlled. Best advice I can give you SE is prepare well, water, gas, stout tires… Where I hunt, deer are in pockets, often far apart. Population is 20-35% of what it was when I first hunted there in the mid 90’s. There is a chance at a nice buck, especially if you can scout a bunch before the season. I was just out there for 5 days and in two draws with water and green feed, did not see one deer or one track. Both used to hold deer. A few others had sign.

Don't sleep on the late archery general season for Blacktails in SW. Some of that is semi open and has some of the best BT available. Good luck.

kota

FNG
As mentioned, the deer populations in SE oregon are way down, and they have much lower deer densities than the forested units to begin with. What I used to see in a normal day 5-10 years ago I would be thrilled to see in a full season. That said, there is a lot of really interesting cool country out there to explore, and a few nice bucks to make it interesting.

As a heads up, the late blacktail hunt is no longer available with a controlled east side mule deer tag. You have to pick west or east.

duckhuntr

FNG
As mentioned, the deer populations in SE oregon are way down, and they have much lower deer densities than the forested units to begin with. What I used to see in a normal day 5-10 years ago I would be thrilled to see in a full season. That said, there is a lot of really interesting cool country out there to explore, and a few nice bucks to make it interesting.

As a heads up, the late blacktail hunt is no longer available with a controlled east side mule deer tag. You have to pick west or east.
I'm moving from eastern WA to Tillamook area in OR. I'd still like to chase Muley with a bow too though, so if I choose to hunt blacktail on the coast I cannot hunt Muley on the east side? Or can I still HUNT both, just with the limitation being I can only kill 1 deer regardless which side (this is how Washington is, but you do have to pick a side for elk and stick with it in WA).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new draw system integrated with the old. How hard will it be for me with 0 points to draw an eastern OR deer tag, regardless of unit?

kota

FNG
I'm moving from eastern WA to Tillamook area in OR. I'd still like to chase Muley with a bow too though, so if I choose to hunt blacktail on the coast I cannot hunt Muley on the east side? Or can I still HUNT both, just with the limitation being I can only kill 1 deer regardless which side (this is how Washington is, but you do have to pick a side for elk and stick with it in WA).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new draw system integrated with the old. How hard will it be for me with 0 points to draw an eastern OR deer tag, regardless of unit?
My understanding is that you can hunt muleys in a specific unit in September OR you can hunt the entire west side, which has a September season and then some November seasons based on the unit. You cannot hunt both, regardless of your success.

I have extensive time hunting Eastern Oregon. The deer numbers are down but the info above is all great. It has been harder and harder to turn up a good buck and with the later season, they have started changing patterns just as the hunt opens. This year, 50% of the bucks were rubbed out before the opener, making them harder to find and pattern. However if your willing to put in the miles you could get on a buck or two with little pressure in archery season. Both of those units can hold great bucks, they aren't going to be behind every rock or even in every canyon. Good Luck and Shoot Straight!

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted Owyhee rifle this year and did one September scout trip. Bring your own shade is good advice some areas the lack of shelter is downright dangerous when temps are 85 plus degrees. Escouting was effective for me but you gotta have faith and stick with it because the deer activity is limited as are the densities. Archery would be tough. With a rifle we had difficulty spotting them and moving in before they disappeared. With archery that’ll only be that much harder. Even during rifle season though it was possible to escape pressure and enjoy that country.