Oregon Packs?

MikelkD

FNG
Just got a deal I couldn't refuse on an Oregon pack companies' Whole shabang pack. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? How'd you like it ? Durability, comfort etc. Thanks Mike.

I've heard good things about them. Only problem is unless you have an 18"+ torso they won't fit great. If they offered an adjustable torso length I probably would've bought one awhile back!

I think that trk3263 had one for sale in the classified section, he may be able to give you some more input on them. My hunting partner has one of their packs, I think he has the Orion and he really likes it. Tried to talk me into trying one...but I went with a Kifaru instead. Tired of buying and then selling packs!!

I have had an OPW for a couple of years. The materials and quality is as good as any. However there are some serious problems with the load lifters and frame. I upgraded mine and trk did the same with his. We added the thicker stays, same dimensions as Kifaru uses and we added cross stays like the bikini frame and the packs are a lot better. The one biggest problem with the .OPW packs are the complete lack of a working load lifter. The stays stop about 3 inches from the top of the pack where the load lifters are attached. When you cinch down the load lifter it just folds the top of the pack over. but this also can be easily fixed

gobbler,

the straps that most people think of when they think "load lifters" can actually serve two purposes. First is the true load lifter function of lifting the shoulder straps up off of your shoulders a little bit to refocus the weight/load on your hips, the shoulder straps in this position are actually now pushing into the shoulder from the chest side instead of down on the shoulder. The second function for these straps is to help move the pack and its center of gravity in closer to the persons back, which is what the OPW design seems to be doing, they are sometimes called stabilizer straps for this very reason. It just depends on what function the pack designer had in mind for those straps.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I got a buddy in Oregon that uses their packs. He loves them. Im a Nimrod for multi day Kifaru for a week or more pack guy. But I have looked that whole Shbang Pack and I was impressed. I dont think its a Kifaru or anything but I would rate it on par with Eberlestock packs.

003.jpgHeres the deal, i am not at all bashing OPW. They build a bomb proof system with quality materials. Karl the owner is a personal friend of mine. Now lets go on. I am simply stating that you can easily make these packs better as far as load hauling capability. The Rogue is maxed out at about 60 pounds Orion maybe a tad more but not much, The Green Gate or Whole Shabang configuration probably 80-90 then you dont even want it on your back. The group i hunt with has 4 Whole Shabangs and in the last couple of years we have packed out 3 bulls on this system. In the past i have been on a pack quest, i have owned about every make made including Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, Eberlestock, Tenzing, Blacks Creek, 2 Kifaru packs, and of course OPW Whole Shabangs. If you look at the Frame of this system it is built on a 1"X 1/8" stay system supplemented by a thin frame sheet. We kind of copied Kifaru and upgraded the stays to 1"X1/4" and added Horizontal Cross stays like the Kifaru Bikini.We also added a beefier frame sheet. You would not believe the difference. I have had 100 pounds in the Rogue and 120 on the Green Gate system and it felt great, considering the weight of course. Here is a couple pictures of my two OPWS with the beefed up suspension system.

Last edited:
I wasn't bashing them either!! Not at all, they are well made packs, I just had saved up for a long time and had my heart set on a Kifaru.

cmeier117

WKR
I had one for awhile and my experience is similer to Gobbler. (before his modifications, which look a lot better btw) I like the material they were made out of, although it was heavy, the load lifter strap and stay issue is a huge one that needs to be fixed? The greengate main bag has thin plastice that go the entire length of the pack to help the pack maintain its shape. This plastic goes about 3 inches above the top of the stays?!!! So when you have even 30-40 lbs in it let alone 80+lbs the top 3 inches of the plastic just folds over like a taco and hits the back of your neck. If he had made the stays and stay pocket 3 inches taller there would be no issue and improve the pack immensly. But because of that reason and a few others I would not recommend it to anyone for the asking price.

Those packs look sweet gobbler. Maybe you should let karl know to build em that way from the factory

I was tempted to try one for a few years. After carrying my new T2 Bikini I don't believe it can be better. However, it would be nice to see OPW maybe take some suggestions as stated and beef up their suspension to provide a better pack?

trk3263

WKR
Here is the thread on how we beefed up the stays. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=79288#post79288
These are great packs although a little heavy the fabric is just about bomb proof. The OPW is a hard one to get rid of mainly because it is SO versatile. I can pack in for a week plus and when I get there I drop a few modules and have a nice day pack that will also haul meet when needed.
So with that said I do like the pack but someday I hope to own a Kifaru. I like the same Modular options as well as the weight of the Kifaru. If it is up to me (not the wife) I would probably keep my Modified OPW and get a Kifaru KU or High Camp but most likely will have to sell to buy.

One more mod we added was a bar tack to the waist belt load tighteners on both sides. Not sure what they are called.

Any pics of any of the mods mentioned let me know and I can send ya some.

trk3263

WKR
Oh yeah HellsCanyon they do adjust in the torso area??? They actually say a kid can wear it the whole way up to a grown man with the adjustments.

Oh yeah HellsCanyon they do adjust in the torso area??? They actually say a kid can wear it the whole way up to a grown man with the adjustments.

I was looking at them about 2.5 years ago so maybe it's a new thing?? Or I could be mistaken thats for sure, wouldn't be the first time...

wapitibob

WKR
I went thru the "fix somebody else's design" phase with my CrewCab. My Kifaru will be here Monday and it will work as is or get sold.

tater

WKR
Love my OPW rig. I haven't done the stay mod yet, but i think once it is done it will be my 'forever' pack.
Even without mod, the lumbar with stays in it easily handles 70lbs of meat in a comfortable fashion.
With mod? No reason 100-120lbs couldn't be handled well.

trk3263

WKR
Yea also just upgrading the 1/8" stays to 1/4" will make a difference and make it feel more rigid and you will still have your old stays that you can switch back and forth to feel the difference.

Well tater, in 2011 we packed a big 300 6x7 several miles out of the wilderness with the OPW Orions. It dang near killed me, I strongly disagree with your claim it will haul 70 pounds of meat easily without any modification. Been there tried that it was the most uncomfortable 3 miles I have ever hauled meat. I had the lumbar full of gear and all the meat was in the proper area on my back lumbar to thoracic area. I honestly probably had around 80 pounds with the antlers included. After that trip that's when I went on a pack quest and ended up with a Kifaru. Now I still have my OPW as a backup and with the stay modification it's now pretty good. Definitely do the modiification at least the upgraded stays.

Rowndy

FNG
I absolutely love my OPW pack as well. Its versatility is definitely the strong point, and I especially like the waterproof microfleece material they've developed. I do agree for load bearing there could be a couple minor improvements which I already know Karl is looking into. That being said I've put 90lbs in it to test, just at home, which was ok but not ideal. The only meat load I've hauled so far was 60lbs in an Orion, which was more comfortable than anything else I've used including MR. Its a great pack, you just have to learn how to use it correctly. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.

Whoever said it wasn't made for anyone above an 18" torso, I disagree, there should be plenty of room for accommodation of nearly any torso length.