Oregon Rocky Mountain Bighorn Winner

I was fortunate enough to draw a bighorn sheep tag for the bear creek unit for the upcoming 2020 season. I am looking for anyone that has possibly drawn this tag before and is willing to share some places to possibly look. I have done a lot of research on the tag and I am well aware that it is a very physically demanding hunt in an area with not a lot of access. Any help is greatly appreciated.

That’s a dream for me, I am from Oregon. I’m going after my first Dall Sheep this year but that is a dream of mine. Someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
My experience while helping a friend with a Goat Tag in Oregon was the value of talking with the local ODFW biologist. They have been amazingly helpful in regards to animal habits and locations.

OP
bigsheepcreek
That’s a dream for me, I am from Pregon. I’m going after my first Dall Sheep this year but that is a dream of mine. Someday.

Yes, definitely a dream come true for me as well you never expect to draw such an amazing once in a lifetime hunt.

bbell

WKR
Never been to that area, but was able to help my best friend a few years ago in a different unit. Definitely talk with the bios. They were super helpful on our hunt. Good luck. It was surreal just helping out on his hunt.

Oregon

WKR
I’ve helped on a few bighorn hunts in Oregon.
Not that hunt, but...
They hold a indoc every year in The Dalles in late July.
All bios are there. Buy maps and go.
Bios literally make circles on your maps and say “hunt here”.
Only hunt in the state they want you to be successful.

WRO

WKR
Walter is the president of Oregon fnaws.. I'd highly recommend that you give him a call..

22d13810fb9b81893cf969d613dcd767.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Csruss90

FNG
I’ve helped on a few bighorn hunts in Oregon.
Not that hunt, but...
They hold a indoc every year in The Dalles in late July.
All bios are there. Buy maps and go.
Bios literally make circles on your maps and say “hunt here”.
Only hunt in the state they want you to be successful.
/
So.. I also drew a Tag for California big horn, but in John day. These biologists have a big meeting in the Dalles? If so where would i find this info?

Csruss90

FNG
Congrats on the awesome tag Bigsheep! I also get an opportunity of a lifetime this fall. I drew the John Day River tag in November.

Oregon

WKR
/
So.. I also drew a Tag for California big horn, but in John day. These biologists have a big meeting in the Dalles? If so where would i find this info?

Maybe start with calling ODFW??

OP
bigsheepcreek
Maybe start with calling ODFW??
Yes I talked to the biologist he is retiring so wasn't much help.
/
I would talk with walter listed above he has been a lot of help and has put me in contact with some previous hunt winners for my hunt im sure he would do the same for you. As far as the big meeting COVID or Kate Brown might have it all screwed up.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Yes I talked to the biologist he is retiring so wasn't much help.

Which ODFW office is that? I have tracked this hunt and the adjacent area for a good number of years as well as attended the orientation by Oregon FNAWS for a number of years [never as a tag holder...] and the attending biologist of late has been Shane Talley out of Enterprise. I've bumped into him in the field during elk season as wel as the orientation - he is a knowledgeable guy and a hunter himself.

Contact the Enterprise field office [541.426.3279 per ODFW website] and ask for him - he has been very helpful and is in the Eagle Caps on foot each year. I believe Or FNAWS awarded him a grant for numerous radio collars for sheep this year. I feel it would be a loss if Shane left.

From years prior discussions with Shane, I have some region maps that might assist in a general manner - I can't PM due to FNG status but will try to find that info and figure out how to get it to you if you want. I do know Vic Coggins retired a number of years ago - though he can still be reached through his book sales website [Memoirs of a Backcountry Bio]

Last edited:
OP
bigsheepcreek
Which ODFW office is that? I have tracked this hunt and the adjacent area for a good number of years as well as attended the orientation by Oregon FNAWS for a number of years [never as a tag holder...] and the attending biologist of late has been Shane Talley out of Enterprise. I've bumped into him in the field during elk season as wel as the orientation - he is a knowledgeable guy and a hunter himself.

Contact the Enterprise field office [541.426.3279 per ODFW website] and ask for him - he has been very helpful and is in the Eagle Caps on foot each year. I believe Or FNAWS awarded him a grant for numerous radio collars for sheep this year. I feel it would be a loss if Shane left.

From years prior discussions with Shane, I have some region maps that might assist in a general manner - I can't PM due to FNG status but will try to find that info and figure out how to get it to you if you want. I do know Vic Coggins retired a number of years ago - though he can still be reached through his book sales website [Mmoirs ofa Backcountry Bio]
The biologist was not Shane Talley I cannot remember his name, I did also talk to Vic very nice guy but said he hadn't been in the area in years. I will have to call and talk to Shane. I would love any maps you might have of the area I am trying to gather as much info as I can before a scouting trip later this month. Feel Free to call or text (541) 510-7547 or Email [email protected]. I just still cant believe I am a lucky tag holder and all the great info and help I have gotten in a few short days this truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

slick

WKR
The Bio is Pat Matthews that just retired.

Vic Coggins was the bio before Pat.

Shane very well could be the assistant bio.

JeffP_Or

WKR
The biologist was not Shane Talley I cannot remember his name, I did also talk to Vic very nice guy but said he hadn't been in the area in years. I will have to call and talk to Shane. I would love any maps...
Emailed you BSC - hopefully I can help even in a small way. More info will follow.

Slick is dead on the money; I incorrectly recalled Pat as the fish bio. Sorry to hear he is retiring but good for him!