Oregon Roosevelt Elk

TILLER

FNG
I’ve been hunting the coast range for the last several years. How do you guys recommend hunting the thick areas? Go through thick areas to sit on openings? Keep moving?

I have been trying to sit on clear cuts you have to walk into in the mornings and evenings. Walking around mid day, normally sticking to game trails, thinking that moving cross country is so loud and slow I’m not sneaking up on anything.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a total newbie to hunting in the coast range. I’m watching and reading everything I can. Been out scouting and hunting for bear. I found what I perceive as a honey hole for elk. Dozens of footprints ranging from calf to cow to large bull. Piles upon piles of droppings and beds all various ages. Also saw some blacktail does. The spot has some old clear cut, a spring, grassy growth, and timber. While there we actually ended up putting eyes on two spike bull elk hanging out in the treeline. I’m considering working this spot for blacktail, but it’s pretty close to a “main”road and I’m guessing elk season would be a zoo as mentioned. Do y’all think it’s worth going for or hard pass? I’m also guessing I’ll need to be there the Friday before opener to even have a chance at being able to hunt the spot.

TILLER

FNG
I don't know if its worth going there for elk or deer, but I would definitely get to the area very early. Had a guy block a road to the area we were headed with his truck at like 4 am opening day for elk.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if its worth going there for elk or deer, but I would definitely get to the area very early. Had a guy block a road to the area we were headed with his truck at like 4 am opening day for elk.
Dang….. after reading this thread and hearing that people have had experiences like that…. Makes me wonder. Guess I can always give it a go for deer and see what happens. Dealing with asshats ruins it for me. I’m also planning on bringing my 4 year old (he does really well in the woods).

Oregon

WKR

That was so common 30 years ago. Most coastal area/towns had crews that elk hunted together. Common goal was to tip over as many Rosies as possible at first light opening day. Yes, me and my buddies did it non stop! There was a reason though, not to be asshats but to ensure no road hunters would just go drive to the end of the landing way before you could even see in the cut and blow the elk out. Our record was 5 raghorns in one cut in 5 minutes for 6 people. Maybe old timers from the coast will chime in, but elk hunting in the 80's was way way different than now.

You never blocked a mainline or a spur that led to other roads. You parked multiple trucks on roads that dead ended enroute to landings. In our minds it was to let people know that we are hunting that cut. We would put those elk to bed the night before the opener in that cut, and sleep in the trucks.

Very similar to pulling up to a gate that is known to lead to a very small area. Some people's etiquette is to turn around and find another spot, others etiquette is to go in behind you. Each one is the proper act, I suppose.

I learned how to elk hunt in the Saddle mtn unit living in Astoria. I still think you have to drive 40 miles an hour on any logging/FS road during elk season.
Hard to explain unless you grew up coast elk hunting long before any Timber company put a gate on a road.

TILLER

FNG
Interesting, I can certainly see it from a locals perspective and can’t hardly blame them. I don’t want to give the wrong impression. Generally, the locals we’ve run into have been very friendly, probably more friendly than people that don’t seem to be locals.

In one area the locals came in behind us. We sat on a clear cut, they walked by and said they had split up and pushed a couple guys up a hill and had a couple guys working down a hill. They got a couple elk, we didn’t even see anything. Many, many years of hunting the same area, and probably way more scouting makes a difference!

After opening day one of the local guys would walk the logging roads, like walk at a good clip, for what seemed like all day, just making big laps (maybe see him every couple hours). Always wondered if that was a legit hunting tactic or what.

Oregon

WKR
Interesting, I can certainly see it from a locals perspective and can’t hardly blame them. I don’t want to give the wrong impression. Generally, the locals we’ve run into have been very friendly, probably more friendly than people that don’t seem to be locals.

In one area the locals came in behind us. We sat on a clear cut, they walked by and said they had split up and pushed a couple guys up a hill and had a couple guys working down a hill. They got a couple elk, we didn’t even see anything. Many, many years of hunting the same area, and probably way more scouting makes a difference!

After opening day one of the local guys would walk the logging roads, like walk at a good clip, for what seemed like all day, just making big laps (maybe see him every couple hours). Always wondered if that was a legit hunting tactic or what.
This was 25-35 years ago. Very common practice. In today's world it is not nearly as common. If I ever drive to a hunt spot(I now primarily hunt behind locked gates) I still park about 300 yards before the cut comes into view on a dead end landing road. But, I won't block it. I wait til I can see, then walk to cut.
My thought process is it would take a seriously clueless person or an absolute douche to keep going by my truck to get to the landing in the dark.
Back in the day, blocking a mainline would result in trucks getting pushed into the ditch or fist fights. I am not exaggerating. Prior to gates on logging roads, first season Rosy hunting was Wild West shit. No joke. Clatsop county boys didn't screw around. Loggers. In the hey day of logging. Falling trees across roads behind them not unheard of at 3am.

As far as walking a circuit, absolutely. Kind of what I do now. Most crews start bailing off into the timber around 10am. Elk either dead or back in timber by then. Those elk get stirred up purposely. You have 4 days to get your bull. 4 days. Patterning, etc is done the week before season. Then you hunt the herds you know are there. They aren't going far like a Rocky if bumped. If they do, there is a pile of hunters over the ridge to push them back.
Coast elk hunting to me is way more enjoyable now that everything is gated. Until til timber company employee unlocks the gate and drives right by you. Haha.

slick

WKR
@coast range Sorry to hi-jack. But this is false and is how false information is spread. Take it upon yourself to pull up the correct information before spewing garbage. The Blue and Wallowa Mtns will all be controlled next year. Not the entire east side of the state.

Read this.

Rosie hunting can be done, but its much different than hunting WY, MT, CO. I utilize it as a last resort OTC opportunity as a gap filler. As you move closer to the coast the densities get higher. I would disagree with one of the above posters. It's not "big" country, but it is steep, slick, and thick.

Attachments

• OR Archery Elk 22.jpg
    OR Archery Elk 22.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 9

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
You can get there as early as you want there isn’t a lot of ethical hunters during rifle season. Be prepared for a race in people driving or walking past you. I have had people glass me using a spotting scope and then take off and set up to shoot 100 yards below me. I have seen people shooting across a canyon while a buddy was 100 yards away from elk. It takes the fun out of elk hunting.