Oregon Spring Bear or Fall Bear?

Saml_Stmb

FNG
What's your preference? Spring bear or Fall? I'll probably put in for the NW Spring bear hunt. I have a day to make up my mind, though...

slick

WKR
Spring. August is usually hot and dry and I would prefer to chase elk the rest of the fall.

But in Oregon you don’t have to choose. Do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Why not buy tags for both? That’s what I do. Don’t really target them in the fall but have a tag just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Thanks @slick and @541hunter !

Any thoughts on flavor of the meat? I know that spring bear are less fat, but does that correlate to the taste of the meat?

Cheers!

I will say that the only spring bear I ever shot tasted like dirt. I know most people enjoy it but mine was horrible.

Haha I give it away.
From what I hear from people that like it almost always have Russian ancestors and use some sort of old family Russian recipes.

Both - don't miss Spring if you're not doing anything else though! Man, I've had two spring bears and a fall bear. I didn't notice anything funky about any of them. Lots of crockpot recipes, breakfast sausage, and burger is kinda the name of the game though.

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Both - don't miss Spring if you're not doing anything else though! Man, I've had two spring bears and a fall bear. I didn't notice anything funky about any of them. Lots of crockpot recipes, breakfast sausage, and burger is kinda the name of the game though.
Thanks Jaden.

Sounds like I better put in for Spring bear as well. No guarantees I'll even get a tag, but it sounds like it's worth a shot.

It also sounds like we need another thread for game recipes!

Cheers!

Thanks Jaden.
Sounds like I better put in for Spring bear as well. No guarantees I'll even get a tag, but it sounds like it's worth a shot.

It also sounds like we need another thread for game recipes!

Cheers!
You bet man! Let me know if you draw. Happy to fill in on some beta if I have any from my Oregon days.

Where are you located? And spring bears taste awesome. Backstrap and eggs are very good a d so is bear sausage/pepperoni... We kill about 3-4 Oregon Bears a year and are picky and they taste very good. I had a bear steak a longgg time ago and hated it. So it all depends how you take care of it and cook it.

Wildbuck

FNG
Do both! Hunted last spring for the first time and while unsuccessful, it was an awesome time to be out in the woods. I’ve not ever harvested a spring bear (hoping to this year) but the three fall bears I’ve taken have all been tremendous eating. Family and friends who have tried it for the first time have been really surprised with how good it’s tasted. It all depends on what they’re eating. I personally like going out in mid-August and glassing clear cuts with lots of blackberries to hopefully catch a bear munching on berries. Good luck to you!

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Do both! Hunted last spring for the first time and while unsuccessful, it was an awesome time to be out in the woods. I’ve not ever harvested a spring bear (hoping to this year) but the three fall bears I’ve taken have all been tremendous eating. Family and friends who have tried it for the first time have been really surprised with how good it’s tasted. It all depends on what they’re eating. I personally like going out in mid-August and glassing clear cuts with lots of blackberries to hopefully catch a bear munching on berries. Good luck to you!
Thanks for the input, @Wildbuck . Good luck to you, too!

Cheers.

OP
Saml_Stmb

Saml_Stmb

FNG
Where are you located? And spring bears taste awesome. Backstrap and eggs are very good a d so is bear sausage/pepperoni... We kill about 3-4 Oregon Bears a year and are picky and they taste very good. I had a bear steak a longgg time ago and hated it. So it all depends how you take care of it and cook it.
You had me at "backstrap and eggs!" I'm in for spring! Or both.

I am located up the road from Eugene a few miles. Tucked away in the coast range.

Cheers!

Vaultman

WKR
@Saml_Stmb
did you draw a tag?
My son drew a youth spring bear tag, so first hopefully we get one, and second can see some good recipes pop up around here.

Elkfever4

FNG
I have a great bear recipe that’s easy my wife makes it all the time.
Bear Stroganoff: make stroganoff noodles , make sauce and add bear burger to sauce.