Oregon spring bear

Hoodie

WKR
I put in for my first spring tag this year for the Cascades. Don't usually bear hunt much but it'll be something to do. I'll probably end up doing as much morel picking as bear hunting, but it's always better to have a tag for something.

The country where I'm at isn't super glass-able so I don't have high expectations. I'd like to get over to the Blues or Hells Canyon some spring in the near future. Good luck.

I also put in for spring bear in OR, but it’s my first time. Just looking for another excuse to get out in the mountains (along with morels). I suppose I could just shoot a bear in my yard....but that wouldn’t be as much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

The Dude

FNG
I've been a couple times with no luck. It's still fun to get out and Wonder around in the woods though.

What unit you decide on? I want to hunt Hell’s Canyon some time, awesome bear country and lots of bear... beautiful that time of year too.

buddy drew Weneha last year and it was fun, I went over with him a bunch him, and it was a cool place to hunt bear... lots of mountain turkeys around too
Never bear hunted but with enough points to draw any hunt I finally put in.

I’m looking forward to it, I love spring bear hunting. I’ll be hunting new country this year, but there are more bear than where I have hunted in the past.

one of my favorite hunts, I always look forward to it. I like hunting bear more than killing bear, always talk myself out of shooting, but would like one to can this year. Probably hold off until the end unless I find one I can’t pass, and just won’t shoot a small one at any point

Wildbuck

FNG
Going to be looking for my first spring bear. Have hunted the season before but never had the time to do it very seriously. Anybody have any thoughts on how the meat tastes vs. a fall bear?

I’d rather have a guaranteed sw tag then possibly not drawing one of the eastern tags. Plus I can be most anywhere in the sw zone in 1.5-5 hours which makes day trips and weekend trips easily doable.

OP
T

The Dude

FNG
Going to be looking for my first spring bear. Have hunted the season before but never had the time to do it very seriously. Anybody have any thoughts on how the meat tastes vs. a fall bear?
I don't. I've only had fall bear and my family loved it. My daughter, 6 at the time still talks about how good it was.

I’ve only killed 1 spring and one fall bear and they were both delicious. My fall bear 8 year old boar was taken high cascade gorging himself on huckleberries. My spring bear 12 year old boar was taken far sw Oregon eating green vegetation.

wapitibob

WKR
What unit you decide on? I want to hunt Hell’s Canyon some time, awesome bear country and lots of bear... beautiful that time of year too.

buddy drew Weneha last year and it was fun, I went over with him a bunch him, and it was a cool place to hunt bear... lots of mountain turkeys around too

wenaha/mt emily

OR Archer

WKR
I’m going to miss not hunting spring bears this year. I’ll be back up to hunt bears in August thankfully