Oregon Success

Marble

WKR
Last week I connected with this bull after hunting him since Aug 30. I was solo, waiting for my hunting partner to get there the next day.

On the first evening of the second trip, I went up the ridge to check a camera at a wallow that I had found this bull at two separate times. Well the wallow was full of cattle and someone stole my camera. I returned to the top of the ridge to bugle and listen, planning my hunt in the morning. Well this bull responded from less than 200 yards. I got my pack on a bugle, raked and cow called when appropriate. After I went back and forth with them a few times, one cow and a spike came in to me. Shortly after they came in, he came from the wallow into 45 yards. I couldn't see where I hit him in the dark timber, but knew I had. He did a death run and I heard him go down.

He made it about 125 yards, probably a little less.

Arrow was an Easton Axis 300, TAW of 520 @ 270 fps. Iron will S125. The arrow was laying on the ground 40 yards down the hill from where the bull was standing. Still super sharp, but one side was a little duller than the other.

Pack out was not bad at all. I had a mountain bike I rode up the skid road then just coasted down to camp. About 1.5 miles each way. I was done by noon the next day.

Sorry I don't have great pics, but I was solo, it was dark and I had shit to do.
bf65c1f123a1d8d3b226df77ee668663.jpg
99b39760d9e299a70ea20ef1be2b62d9.jpg
36251a4310c5f113ece6f3daa6d22a02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
Congrats on getting it done solo, it's always a great sense of accomplishment killing one and packing it out on your own!

Last edited:
OP
M

Marble

WKR
Great job sir!

ElkNut
And thank you sir for sharing the info you do! Although this wasn't a slow play scenario, after listening to pod casts with you, I understood the first bugle I heard from him was him saying "GTFO" you are too close! He was already fairly grumpy at this point. As soon as I realize his herd was closer to me than him and I was mostly in-between he and them, it was over for him.

Thank you!!

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Congrats on getting it done solo, it's always a great sense of accomplishment killing one and packing it out on your own!
I've killed dozens of elk solo, but only a couple solo archery. I am always much more successful solo than with a partner.

Packing out is what it is. In my view it's admiration day. I get to relish on my success and experience it for an entire day after the hunt. I sometimes look more forward to the pack out than the hunt.