Oregon Tioga Green Dot Road Questions???

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I was supposed to be hunting in the Snake River Unit again (1st trip was in 1997 and been hunting there consistently for over 10 years), but Fire said otherwise. So, the ODFW allowed us to exchange tags for General Tags. I have questions about the Green Dot Road system. I read the map I have, and it says no motorized vehicle travel on non-Green Dot roads. Well, My Dad and I Finished a morning hunt after walking in to a non-Green Dot road and hunting past the end of it. Had a Bull going and almost shot a smaller bull. Had to make sure it was a 3 point and it walked before I could confirm. I think it was a 3 or 4 point??? At any rate, we no sooner left the road then a hunting party proceeded to not only drive down the road, but removed downed trees blocking access and set up a full on camp. Would you say this is ethical or no??? Also, would you camp this close to the place you were going to hunt??? The reason I ask is because I went back into this drainage from another direction to see if there was a chance anything stuck around. (I don't usually hunt around here, so I was a bit unsure of other good areas.) What I heard was these guys calling non-stop for @ 2 hours straight. Pretty sure everything for miles around left??? Would like to hear others' opinions. I mean, it is public land for all to hunt, but wondering if this seems ethical to others??? Also, is this map telling me the correct information, because we met plenty of people that were driving on non-Green Dot roads. One group even told us if they weren't marked with a Red Dot they were fair game to drive on. I try to hike and hunt and not drive around, so was hoping the Green Dot thing was correct. Please Advise???

GoBig

FNG
Unless the road they are traveling on with a motor vehicle has a green dot on the sign, it is closed. Its not a matter of ethics, its illegal.

Marble

WKR
If it were me I would call fish and game and give them the coordinates of their camp.

I just came from Oregon elk hunting and it was pretty frustrating when you walk miles back to your spot just have some D bag drive his truck back there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
The entire purpose of the closed roads is to not have vehicles back there pushing animals around and to make people put a little effort in.

I rather like it and wish CA would do something like this.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Not sure about Tioga but the green dot system in the cascades does not start till the rifle season in mid October. All roads are open unless posted otherwise.

We had similar issues in sled springs this year. The maps clearly show which roads were open but a guy was mad because we parked on a closed road where he could not drive down it. He was chewing us out but when we offered to show him the map he said he didn't need to see our F'ing map and left.

The rules are not always clear. I was in Wyoming and hiked a mile in pouring rain in the dark. I was in a "walk in access" area but soon as it got light no less than 20 trucks drove in past me. On my way out I read the sign at the entrance. All vehicles must remain on the roads and I could have just driven out to where I wanted to hunt

Was this in the Weyco permit area or BLM? I hate to say it, but everywhere I've gone, throughout the state of Oregon, I've seen violations of vehicles abusing road closures.

GoBig

FNG
Not familiar with the Tioga green dot system, in Eastern Oregon some green dots are closed for Archery and Rifle and some only rifle deer and elk. Call ODFW or OSP

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about Tioga but the green dot system in the cascades does not start till the rifle season in mid October. All roads are open unless posted otherwise.

We had similar issues in sled springs this year. The maps clearly show which roads were open but a guy was mad because we parked on a closed road where he could not drive down it. He was chewing us out but when we offered to show him the map he said he didn't need to see our F'ing map and left.

The rules are not always clear. I was in Wyoming and hiked a mile in pouring rain in the dark. I was in a "walk in access" area but soon as it got light no less than 20 trucks drove in past me. On my way out I read the sign at the entrance. All vehicles must remain on the roads and I could have just driven out to where I wanted to hunt
Not sure on this one, but the map I have from ODFW does not specify that any dates are excluded. Made me believe they were Green Dot restricted all year.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone for the replies. I feel like I am not alone in thinking that it should be about the hunt and ethics. Breaking the law seems like a huge ethics violation to me. And I agree that I would like to put in the extra work to get to the animals. Feels more rewarding to attain something by hard work! Thanks again all! Feeling better about being upset by this. Didn't want to think I was just being too critical!