Oregon Whitehorse unit 68

rtoreson

FNG
I picked up a rifle tag for this unit last minute and was wondering if anyone had any advice? The tag is good for the general area and not the limited entry areas. I plan on heading over later this summer to do some scouting. I've hunting the area to the south in NV but haven't spent any time in this unit.
Thx!!!

GoBig

FNG
How did you pick up a tag? Draw results won't be out for several weeks? Outfitter tag? Not many deer in those units anymore, like the rest of the state. Take lots of water, some shade, and a couple of spare tires. Lots of country to look over and not many Animals.

OP
R

rtoreson

FNG
Yeah, an outfitter tag. I don’t mind putting in the legwork. I figured the deer numbers weren’t great but I’m sure I can turn up a couple. I was just hopin to get pointed in the right direction.

Extrapale

WKR
Did you ask the outfitter? Are you DIYing this on an outfitter tag?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
R

rtoreson

FNG
Yeah, it is a DIY hunt. Used the outfitter to access the tag. I’m going to be covering ground on my own.

Pueblo

FNG
Well, all the deer are in the controlled areas that you can't access. A really tall fence keeps them in. Just kidding of course. But the reality is not so different. The areas outside of the controlled areas have much less "terrain" that deer like, and it's drier, flatter, and is pretty accessible to 4wd trucks and ATVs. Antelope and Jackrabbit country. If you have a standard rifle tag or archery tag, the hunt dates will be prior to any in-migration from the Owyhee Mtns in Idaho, so you're dealing with the resident population only. In recent years the migration hunt has been poor as well.

Owyhee river breaks from the north all the way south to the West Little Owyhee country, the area near Nevada east of McDermitt, (but not in the Indian Reservation and frustratingly close to "real" mountains in Nevada that have lots of deer), along the Idaho border on the north half the unit (also frustratingly close to the Owyhee Mtns in Idaho), all have the most terrain and water, so they're probably your best bet. None have lots of deer, but they have some, and someone takes a nice one or two every year.

OP
R

rtoreson

FNG
Thanks Pueblo. That's perfect info to get me started. I just wanted an idea of general regions where a guy might find deer. I know from hunting to the south in NV that guys like to try to intercept bucks heading to their bedding areas from the hay pivots. I'm not sure that is a method I want try or if that was an option in this unit with so little private?

Pueblo

FNG
Thanks Pueblo. That's perfect info to get me started. I just wanted an idea of general regions where a guy might find deer. I know from hunting to the south in NV that guys like to try to intercept bucks heading to their bedding areas from the hay pivots. I'm not sure that is a method I want try or if that was an option in this unit with so little private?
You will kind find a little agriculture in the unit, but not very much as it really is mostly jackrabbit country. Pivot near hilly BLM = opportunity. I just don't know how much pressure

GOODFIRE

FNG
RToreson,

After your deer hunt can you let me know if you see any elk sign? I have a Cow tag for the East Whitehorse area. Which is east of Hwy. 95 to the Idaho Border. This hunt is from October to January. I know there are not any resident elk in this area, so I expect any sign will be from last year, which is fine .
Best of luck on your deer hunt.

OP
R

rtoreson

FNG
Hey goodfire,
Certainly. I will keep an eye out for any elk or sign there of and let u know.

Woodrow

FNG
Deer numbers state wide are very low - Get up high and glass early!! Lot's of big sage flats with some cooley's, but there are deer!!

DEJaca

FNG
I had that tag last year. Hunted everywhere from Little Owyhee to Parsnip. The fires of the last few years have taken out a lot of the good brush around Grassy Mtn area. The main Owyhee looks great but hours of glassing turned up no deer. I saw 1 buck around the Anderson Crossing area but didn't shoot. There were quite a few camps out in that area but I didn't hear very many shots. Moved up to Loveland Horse Camp and glassed Deary Pasture. Beautiful area, just no deer.

DEJaca

FNG
We did see quite a bit of elk sign, much of it older but they had to be there to leave it. I talked to several people who have hunted elk there and they all say that weather across the border will push the elk over towards Three Forks. We did not see any elk during deer season.