Oregon Wolves

lintond

WKR
So some of you have been asking and I've finally quit being lazy.....so here is the story.

So to start with a little background. I've rifle hunted off and on over the last decade, but never was very serious about it due to lack of time and what not. Well I ate some bad food or something and suddenly decided to take up archery. Naturally being a beginning bow hunter and elk for that matter wasn't enough of a challenge, so I decided to hunt solo in the backcountry....:rolleyes:.... btw I blame part of this on all you Roksliders for being so darn inspiring. I wanted to get away from as many people as possible so I wouldn't have any excuses for my success or failure. After some research and internet consultations with fellow ifishers I decided to give it a go in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Imnaha unit. I did my google maps research and set out on a couple 3 day weekend scouting trips in July and August. I had found plenty of elk and was excited to for the season to start! :meme: During my scouting I had come across some wolf tracks, but hadn't seen any other sign.

After hunting hard Saturday and Sunday opening weekend I decided to move my camp Sunday afternoon a few miles so I could have easier access to another basin for the next 2 days. I moved my camp and then set out for my evening hunt down a ridge. As I went out this ridge I came to a pond with a small meadow hidden in the tress and blowdown. My legs told me I should switch strategies and try to sit on the pond to see if a big bull was feeling thirsty this evening. :eek:

I was sitting at the pond for only a few minutes when I heard something in the trees across from me. Naturally I was excited and then quickly not so excited when I saw a wolf/coyote climb over a log.....After seeing the second one (black) I knew they were wolves. All at once I crapped my pants, cussed them for ruining my elk hunt, and excited to see one just for the experience. Needless to say the wolves made themselves at home and had no idea I was sitting there. I snapped a few pictures and video and watched them for about 15 minutes. There ended up being 7 total wolves, and the alpha male was HUGE and when he showed up the other wolves took notice for sure! SAM_1097.jpgSAM_1099.jpgSAM_1095.jpghttps://vimeo.com/81107773 At this point I wasn't sure what to do...scare them off or just wait for them to leave. Being that my only defense was my knife and bow I went with option two because I understand my place on the food chain minus a good gun. :( At one point I looked down and one of the wolves was only 35 yds from me. For reference the edge of the pond was about 60 yds. Oh how I wish we could hunt wolves in Oregon!!

This is when things got interesting..... Going with option 2 above I waited out the wolves and they finally decided to hit the road and started working around the far side of the meadow. Being that I didn't feel comfortable if I couldn't see them I started to side step to keep my line of sight. At this point they either saw or heard me and took off barking up the hill.....except the alpha. He retreated into the trees and started to howl at me! This is when all my hair stood up, vacated any remaining mountain house, and my knees began to really shake. Keep in mind this wasn't a hey how you doing howl, this was a GET THE F&*K OUT OF MY WOODS howl!!! :mad: I wasn't sure what to do, so because of the steep/rocky terrain behind me I decided to stay put and act tough. Inside I wasn't tough! I would yell and throw rocks and wolfie would yell right back! It was a stand off....this went on for 12+ minutes. https://vimeo.com/81107772 Which was when I decided to retreat and get the heck out of dodge. I suddenly lost my desire to sleep under a tarp, solo, less then 1/2 mile from my new canine companions!

About 20 minutes later I had hiked back to camp, packed it up, and hoofed it up the ridge all in a hurry to avoid being dinner. When I got to the top my buddy was still howling! At this point I lost all desire to hunt and made way for the truck. Back at the trail head I rain into a large hunting party and found out they had shot a bull the previous day in that basin, but never could find it. After looking at my pictures at home I realized they were chewing on a leg. No wonder they were upset I crashed the party!

Not to be deterred I returned the last week of the season with renewed confidence and my trusty S&W on my hip. :p The first evening after setting up camp I hiked down to a pond I had been to several times. As I got close I heard a faint whimpering sound....Low an behold I peaked over a small berm and there is a damn wolf not 50 yds away!! Once again he didn't know I was there and went off into the trees. I keep telling myself I must be an alpha predator that thinks like the wolves....although that is up for debate. That evening the wolves were howling up a storm down the canyon, and that was the last I heard or saw of them.

The elk were not very vocal and the only bugles I heard were a dawn/dusk. Conveniently right before/after shooting light! :confused: I haven't decided if I will go back next year. I loved the country and I know there are elk in the country, but not sure if I want to put up with the wolves.

OR Archer

WKR
These are the same wolves my buddy filmed. I'm almost positive of it. He was on the opposite side of the basin from me when he had 4 of them pop out below him at 130 yards. I'll post a link to his video later

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately these buggers are here to stay and will hit all remaining western states soon enough....it sucks to have your hunt affected with these guys when you have no control of the situation!

tstowater

WKR
Unfortunately these buggers are here to stay and will hit all remaining western states soon enough....it sucks to have your hunt affected with these guys when you have no control of the situation!

Need to get them delisted and be able to manage before they do irreparable damage to the elk, deer and sheep herds.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
the triple s rule should come into play in these situations.

This is/was so tempting! I live right in the middle of liberal land. I wound if I could trap a few and bring them back with me. :rolleyes: Might sway some votes.

Randle

WKR
I know just how you felt, My son in law and I walked into 7 feeding on a 5 point bull a couple years ago. We were shed hunting in N idaho when I noticed what looked like a big
coyote, then I realized it was a wolf soon we saw that there were 7 of them around. You do feel it is a once in a lifetime thing you are watching, but you also know you wish you had an open season and a hand full of tags. I also carry a pistol these days while archery hunting.
Some say SSS as for me I am not willing to lose my hunting rights over a stinking wolf. At least 1 had a collar that I saw.

AndyB

WKR
Great experience to 'look back on'... thats one scary sound, the vid gives a good idea but I bet it was much more intense in real life knowing it is directed at you.

Dont think Id have wanted to sleep there solo either without an iron. (still wouldn't have slept much)

Makes 'The Grey' seem not so far fetched, lol.

Thanks for posting.

Jon Pynch

FNG
where was that? i'd like to do some "filming" of those lovely things myself;)
had a handful of run in's with them in idaho archery hunting before they changed the law to where you could legally shoot them. they can be a little intimidating when you're only packing the bow.

InDeep

WKR
Here's my hunting buddy's video he took.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBmat78ED18

I'm OR Archers buddy who took the video . I'm curious if one of those black wolves had a bright grey/white stripe running down its back as in my video. ODFW has shown a lot of interest in my video after I told them where and what I observed and they clearly ttold me that the area I was in holds very little wolf activity and questioned If I truly know I saw a wolf , Then I told them I had video ..Changed the phone conversation , quite a bit .They have no clue what the true numbers or range these these animals are covering. I saw two last year in Heppner reported them as well but at least they told me that there is and has been many other reports in that area as well..

OR Archer

WKR
I'm OR Archers buddy who took the video . I'm curious if one of those black wolves had a bright grey/white stripe running down its back as in my video. ODFW has shown a lot of interest in my video after I told them where and what I observed and they clearly ttold me that the area I was in holds very little wolf activity and questioned If I truly know I saw a wolf , Then I told them I had video ..Changed the phone conversation , quite a bit .They have no clue what the true numbers or range these these animals are covering. I saw two last year in Heppner reported them as well but at least they told me that there is and has been many other reports in that area as well..

The number of dead range cattle bone piles would suggest different on their activity levels in that area lol