Organization help, tips, suggestions, pictures

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Well I really suck at keeping things organized. In my pack isn't too bad, but my truck and storing at home is horrible...

How do you keep your hunting equipment organized?

Pictures would be great!

I dedicate a spare bedroom for the event, months in advance.
Just start stock piling everything you might bring, then evaluate and organize from there.
And, No... you can't bring everything!

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
I use totes and have clothes, backpacking gear, food, and items for after the kill all in separate ones. These totes are on a shelve that is used only for my outdoor gear so I never have to go looking for it.
If I am going on a local hunt I can just grab my clothes, food, kill totes then just have to grab my rifle/bow and binos and I know I will have everything I need.

ediggity

FNG
I feel your pain. I have a ton of scuba, freediving, spearing, offshore fishing, inshore fishing, fly fishing, hunting, archery, backpacking/hiking, snowboarding, boating, wakeboarding, RV, etc, etc, etc, gear. It's TOTAL insanity.
1: I also use bins and large duffle bags. Labeled. No other way around it. I store most of the bins in my garage in the off seasons, then as the new season/activity approaches, I rotate bins and move the items into a spare closet in my house. This closet has room for a very small shelf, also hangers, and a little overhead for larger items. This system works pretty well.
2: Sell/give/toss your unused crap! This is a hard one for me... but there's gear I have that I haven't touched 5 years... some even 7-10 years. Not good. Stuff like old/out of date reel, rods, scuba booties, gun slings, etc. Look through all of that crap and put it into a "for sale bin" (most likely multiple bins. My rule is if it's not going to bring me at least $10 (after shipping) and can't be easily put into a USPS Priority mail box/envelope, it's going in the trash. Or I happily give stuff away if I know someone could use it. If it's a commonly used item, I list it on ebay for .99 cents. It almost always sells for he right price. More valuable stuff I list appropriately of course. If your kids are old enough you can also give it to them to list and they can keep the cash.
3: Upgrading. When you upgrade, sell the original item. I am in the habit of keeping it as a backup, for my kids, for my wife, etc. None of that ever happens. Sell it... it's got the most value then.

The struggle is real brother! That's my 2 cents... hope it helps.

Edwin

ColeyG

WKR
Rubbermaid Action Packers

I try to lump things of similar type or use in action packers so I can quickly and easily locate stuff when I need to pack, and/or grab the tote and toss it in the truck when it is time to head down the road.

WCB

WKR
One thing I started doing that has really helped besides using bins and a shelving system is buy duplicates of certain gear. First Aid kit, knives, headlamps, sharpeners, fire starting kits, etc. I have identical setups in each pack. I get disorganized mostly because I have to transfer basic universal equipment from one pack/bag/vest to the next. I hunt upland, waterfowl, big game, archery, rifle, fly fishing....sometime multiple in the same week/weekend and find myself asking "where the heck did I put xyz...? you see the point.

Rich M

WKR
I have trouble putting fingers on specific items and got tired of buying 2 or 3 extras.

Purchased some surplus lockers that someone pulled out of a high school - excellent purchase, can even lock stuff in case...

Second comment - the dollar stores often sell some cheap plastic shoe holders for the back of doors - typically a clear plastic - works good for more than shoes.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Stackable totes with labels on the outside for the house kept in a cedar closet in a spare room and a homemade “truckvault” for the box of the pickup and a mud river seat organizer for the cab........ with labels.

Attachments

• D73BB3BB-B1EA-4563-B95D-7651A9ADDE80.jpeg
    D73BB3BB-B1EA-4563-B95D-7651A9ADDE80.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 9F0D675B-9832-414A-9224-A40ADF5B88F6.jpeg
    9F0D675B-9832-414A-9224-A40ADF5B88F6.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 5C221767-C206-49AB-954D-21BE471BA599.jpeg
    5C221767-C206-49AB-954D-21BE471BA599.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 56

nrh6.7

WKR
Stackable totes with labels on the outside for the house kept in a cedar closet in a spare room and a homemade “truckvault” for the box of the pickup and a mud river seat organizer for the cab........ with labels.
How do you like your seat organizer? Curious to know how you utilize the different pockets, specifically for a western type hunt.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I use totes like above. But I have a specific bag/totes for each hunting activity.

Before each larger trip I empty the tiger's onto my camping table. Sometimes I write down comments onto a piece of paper and tape it to the outside.

Another very handy item I purchased was the assortment of light weight bags from kifaru. There are 5 sizes and when I unload my pack, everything stays in its spot.

I have running lists of items I need for each trip and during the hunts, I add to them ti remember to get the things I need. I sure them on my phone and I can then share them.

Rubbermaid or equivolent storage bins. They stack great. I learned not to go crazy with the size. I buy good ones , roughneck and brutes they hold up for ever. I still have two Roughnecks I been using since 1994. I bought some cheaper off brand and they tore up in a year.

The thing that’s helped me the most is getting rid of most of the gear I wasn’t using. Now I have a a set of Rubbermaid action packers that I can throw in the truck and be ready to go. I’m a fan of packing at the trail head so I know what the conditions are. It also forces me to slow down and enjoy what I’m about to do, and not turn it into a chore or make it into a Facebook/IG picture campaign.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I use clear tubs for small accessory items with gallon ziplocs for specific items (ie one bag for beanie hats, one for gloves, one for facemasks, etc), 2 tubs 1 for waterfowl gear and 1 for big game necessities, all my clothes & sleeping bags are hung up. I converted a first floor bedroom into my hunting room, so I have plenty of space and organized everything with wire rack shelves and the closet. The rest of my gear is split between the garage and basement.

Ben

WKR
Costco has small and medium clear plastic totes. I buy a combination of both, label them with the specific items, and try to keep them less than half full so I don’t have to take stuff out when I dig through them.