Organizing and practice.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
All our preparations: exercise, practice with our weapon of choice, pouring over maps, scouting, etc got me to thinking.... How many of you practice packing unpacking gear, setting up and tearing down camp? I'm thinking if everything has a place and I know where everything is/goes I can be more efficient as a backpack hunter. + I'm thinking I can load up in different ways and find what feels the most comfortable to me with my gear.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent quite a bit of time on packing my pack last year but now I have it down good. I always play with new gear for a few days when I first get it to get familiar with it. Then usually most of my practice comes with scouting trips.

Ozz08

WKR
I load and unload my gear in my T1 once a week. Every Monday I load all of my gear plus some extra stuff to add weight for my training hikes for that week and on Sunday morning after my last hike of the week I unload it and start all over again. I make small tweaks here and there with how I pack just about every time but I pretty much have a system down now on how I like my pack loaded(I think).

littlebuf

Banned
dont really need to practice loading the pack. ive got it pretty much how i want it and simplified to the point where practice would be redundant. i do have a few new pieces of gear but there replacing other items in the pack and will pack about the same if not a little better, i will do a dry run packing after i buy a new bag. ive found the simpler the better. i can break camp and be completly packed and ready to move in about 20 minutes.

This is a good idea, especially if you do it in the field; it is much different trying to get your sleeping bag and tent back into the same size and shape working on the forest floor than it is on the carpet in your living room. It pays to find out if it will all fit back into your bag when you have to just stuff it all in there.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Haven't ever considered this....I sometimes go off a list when I'm packing my gear, sometimes I don't, certainly don't see much value in practicing to pack and unpack your gear myself, but if you see the benefit for you, then by all means. If it helps you not forget how to load your pack or forget an item I'd say go for it. I just can't see myself doing this if I wasn't packing up to go scouting or hunting or just a general backpacking trip.

aron

WKR
To me its just a matter of knowing where stuff you are needing quick or important items are in the pack versus loading/unloading it.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I test load a few times throughout the off season . I try to get all my new gear buy may to make sure all has been tested and functional before august.. I used to practice load quite often . But havn't seen the need the last few years unless I'm just wanting to play:) But like others said if it helps do it !!

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
To me its just a matter of knowing where stuff you are needing quick or important items are in the pack versus loading/unloading it.

Though knowing where things are in your pack is very important, there is also a "right" and "wrong" way to pack your pack.

Weight should be distributed as even as possible, but any heavy/bulky items should be as near to the center of your back as possible, all while trying to organize things to where the pack can be compressed as close to your back as possible.

Most people pack their pack standing up, which is not wrong. But, before you cinch everything down, close the lid and lay the pack down as if the floor was your back. Now, compress away.

I don't practice packing/unpacking. I just plan extra time into preparing for the trip. I don't practice setting up/tearing down camp; I have a headlamp if need be. I can typically pack in about an hour or two (depends how prepared I am to start packing, lol), set up in about 30 and tear down/pack up in about 1.5 hours. No big time considerations there.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Weight should be distributed as even as possible, but any heavy/bulky items should be as near to the center of your back as possible.

Most people pack their pack standing up, which is not wrong. But, before you cinch everything down, close the lid and lay the pack down as if the floor was your back. Now, compress away.

Ahh so packing it laying down I can put the heavy stuff in first, so it is closest to the center of my back. Then layer the light stuff over it, toward the back and top of the pack. I've never considered this before. I like it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ahh so packing it laying down I can put the heavy stuff in first, so it is closest to the center of my back. Then layer the light stuff over it, toward the back and top of the pack. I've never considered this before. I like it.

Not quite...I'll try to find a youtube of it...or someone on here can do a video on how they pack their backpacks.