Organizing gun case for flight?

Laid out what I’m taking in my case on the flight to Alaska. Just wanted a second opinion before I go whacking away at foam. I’d prefer to keep the bolt and mag in if that is kosher with tsa and wasn’t going to cut foam for those. I’ll have a box of 10 mm buffalo bore in there as well but wasn’t wanting to cut foam for that small box if I don’t have to but may end up doing it anyways. Other than that, am I missing anything or should I move anything around per this lay out? Would it be better for ammo above barrel and not the stock to keep dense foam around stock,action, scope? First time flying with a firearm.

Thanks!

d30b984a5a12c97bb6aa489a07f36adf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelican recommends at least an inch preferably a bit more of foam between any item and the outer wall.

Do you happen to have a thread protector? You could get the rifle away from the wall a bit more without the brake and maybe angle the rifle some. The bolt handle can concentrate extra stress depending on how much it protrudes away from the stock.

I think you already have it positioned this way but put the barrel away from the wheels.

It would be nice if Pelican made a taller version of the 3410. A 1750 doesn’t really fit a 26” rifle with brake on. The next size up Pelican 1770 is way bigger, heavier and much more expensive.

cnelk

WKR
This is what my gun case looked like last year when I went to Alaska.
2 rifles - 1 revolver - ammo

(Ammo in stock holder was removed and put into a cartridge box)

E78F18FB-6CE7-4C10-8515-58C2D86619E4.jpeg

MattB

WKR
Just a thought but you are wasting a ton of space with foam. When I go to AK I put 1 bow, half my arrows, and half my clothing/gear in my bow case. The other half plus a bow goes in a roller duffel.

Last edited:
Did I miss a memo. I thought ammo had to be in a separate bag and could not be in the case with the gun. That could be a state law thing not a TSA thing so I may be wrong.

ODB

WKR
If that brake is removable I would definitely take it off and center the rifle more. I'd also move the rifle up a bit so there is more foam on the bottom of your pistol.

Leave the magazine in, take the bolt out. DO you need that green ammo box? If not, re-use a standard one, it will fit the foam better.

Cover the foam with painters tape and outline with a sharpie. Use a Havalon to cut the foam straight down. You will be able to reassemble and use for other, local trips with different guns easy peasy.

@cnelk I’m shook

@Desk Jockey you missed the memo ;-)

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Did I miss a memo. I thought ammo had to be in a separate bag and could not be in the case with the gun. That could be a state law thing not a TSA thing so I may be wrong.
It’s an airline dependent thing. I can’t remember which ones but some allow it and some don’t, or used to at least. They change their regs all the time.

I put an extra foam pad at the bottom, then a sleeping bag, lay the rifle and ammo on that. Then I put an extra puffy jacket and pants over it, throw an extra set of boots in and send it.

I use a similar case from harbor freight and I usually pack it with a rifle, pistol, knives, and a couple of boxes of ammo. I don’t cut the foam at all. Granted, I have to give it a bit of a nudge to shut it, but the foam seems to hug it firmly without creating any issues.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've never flown with ammo separately, always in the case w/gun.
And have always removed the bolt, allows a much flatter profile.
I've never cut the foam.

Northpark

WKR
I took my bolt and mag out which made tsa happy. My case had my rifle, two boxes of .300 win handloads, my spotter, my knives, my bipod, my leatherman, my kestrel, two sets of ear plugs, and my small shooting tool kit. I arranged the rifle so when picked up by The handle the scope was upright. I then cut away foam in any place other than the rifle had excessive pressure in it which turned out to be my spotter, ammo and scope turret.

Like others, scope up in relation to the handle. I only cut in my rifle and bolt. And did it as far up as possible while still being protected (maybe 2.5 inches of foam above the scope). That leaves room for when I have my kids or wife coming in a few years and I want to add another in below. Fill the remaining space with knives and ammo. That other stuff I throw in is always changing so not cutting it in. If stuff shifts, it usually only shifts down the way they set the case down, away from the gun. But stuff typically stays right where I placed it. The foam weights nothing and I get mine to 49 lbs with plenty of space remaining so not sure what point is in removing the foam and filling with clothes unless you’re planning on paying for oversize anyways and really loading it up.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I replace foam with clothes. Always have ammo & gun in case. Never a problem.

With gun, binoculars, ammo, knife and other stuff my case weights 30 lbs or so. So I move 15 lbs to gun case by replacing foam. This free’s up weight in check bag. May or may not need it.

Last edited:

WTFJohn

WKR
Don't fly that far with only one magazine for your hunting rifle. Shit happens, and sourcing a replacement there may not be an option.

OP
ddavis_1313
Don't fly that far with only one magazine for your hunting rifle. Shit happens, and sourcing a replacement there may not be an option.

I have a spare I’m taking as well. Just wasn’t in the picture but you have a valid point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crusader

WKR
Great article on packing a gun case for a flight, by Mark at Exo:

He's a proponent of not cutting out for your rifle or anything else. Check it out.