Organizing gun case for flight?

Wrench

WKR
Tape the key to the case. My buddy just had to leave his rifle in Alaska because he couldn't find the key for tsa. It was burried in his pack. He found it at home....ouch.

Tape the key to the case. My buddy just had to leave his rifle in Alaska because he couldn't find the key for tsa. It was burried in his pack. He found it at home....ouch.

Yikes! Not a padlocked case? No bolt cutters?

I take an extra set of non-TSA locks (with key attached to them on a lanyard) in my carry-on. Key to locks on case goes around my neck, with an extra around my hunting buddy's neck if I'm traveling with someone else. Third extra key tethered to the inside of my carry-on. I also pack 4 smallish TSA locks in my carry-on for emergencies.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone's experience with checking full sized rifle cases ?

According to United, my full size case will be oversize baggage, and $200 ea way....

Can't exceed 62" total length+width +height.

That pretty much means every full sized case is oversized baggage

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Great article on packing a gun case for a flight, by Mark at Exo:

He's a proponent of not cutting out for your rifle or anything else. Check it out.

this is how i'm planning to fly this fall... also, the ammo thing is airline specific. TSA says it can go with the gun, but I'm flying JetBlue and it appears they want it separate...

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Are you saying just for the run to the airport? No way I'd leave a key taped to the case during travel, for many reasons.

According to United, my full size case will be oversize baggage, and $200 ea way....

I've always flown with a BEAST of an SKB case because I usually bring my bow, rifle, and stuff the case chock full of clothes, knives, etc. I've always just accepted the fact that (while expensive) it keeps me from checking a second bag, and my pack is always my carry on. Pretty streamlined.

Look under their sporting goods section there's usually a section for firearms and it will check like a standard bag unless it's over 50lbs

Wrench

WKR
Are you saying just for the run to the airport? No way I'd leave a key taped to the case during travel, for many reasons.

I've always flown with a BEAST of an SKB case because I usually bring my bow, rifle, and stuff the case chock full of clothes, knives, etc. I've always just accepted the fact that (while expensive) it keeps me from checking a second bag, and my pack is always my carry on. Pretty streamlined.
Keep the key on the case until you get to/through tsa.

ODB

WKR

I carry two keys. one on a lanyard around my neck, the other in my Filson messenger bag. Also put a spare key and spare locks inside the case in the event the monkey handlers cut locks. So far not needed.

ODB

WKR

Covered under sporting goods exemption. Like skis/snowboards.

OP
ddavis_1313
I’m avoiding keys. Combo locks! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinosdeuce

FNG
Classified Approved
You should be good to go. As 2 others have mentioned flip rifle so scope is up on handle side. Leave the bolt out as you have it too much stress in or leaving it in. I always have the stock on the wheels end. the only issue I had was too much ammo. 11 pound, going to a comp had 250 rds. Just check zero and enjoy the hunt.