Organizing your backpack

sethroe

FNG
I will admit it, I am OCD on organization and systems. I know a lot of you guys are using pullouts and drybags to organize your backpacks for ease of access. What sizes of pullouts/drybags are you using? What are you putting in them? How are you staying organized with your gear in the backcountry?

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/storage-systems/backcountry-organizer-1.html

these are also great for small items. i cut the zipper pulls off due to noise more than weight and replaced with 1.8mm sea to summit reflective cord for the pulls. i keep mine in my longhunter lid and so far enjoy them in conjunction with mentioned above. been using size 1 and 2. outdoor research has some sizes of dry bags that sea to summit does not just to mention. both are great and am sure there are other options. the UL versions have been my favorite.

i use the two pockets that are built into my timerberline, the lid, and two medium KU pullouts. this satisfies my need for organization for the most part. and that need is high! ;)

I use Kifaru mega pullouts. They fit perfectly inside my KU3700, I lay them flat and stack them. The first one is my super woobie. The second one is my sugpak 40* bag and bivy, the third is my clothes and the fourth is my chow and stove set. I use two top zip long pockets on the outside for my puffy and shelter/air pad. So far so good.

I keep all my stuff in four sea to summit stuff sacks of appropriate size. Sleeping bag and any spare clothes go in dry bags.

Anything food or cooking related in one.
"Gear" in another, (headlamp,extra batteries, map, compass, electrical tape, etc)
Emergency supplies go in another (first aid kit, fire starters, mole skin, etc)
And a kill kit.

Color coded of course.

Anything else I need that I use regularly, GPS, release, calls, wind checker, etc, goes in a small belt pouch or in my pockets.

charvey9

WKR
A lot depends on the pack you use. Some packs have a lot of pockets, other have little to none like my Stone Glacier. I bought a set of Kifaru pullouts (1 of each size) and then a couple cuben fiber pouches from Moutain Laurel Designs in each size. I also have the large Kifaru compression sack.

I can fit my tipi tarp (with stakes, etc), bivy, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad all into the Kifaru compression sack. Its nice having camp all rolled up in one spot.

I use the XL pullout for my extra clothes. I can fit my puffy layer, rain gear, gloves, extra socks, base layer all in there and it makes a good pillow.

My killkit stuffs nicely into the medium pullout (basically the rokslide kill kit)

The smallest pullout is for essentials like toothbrush, toothpaste, meds, etc.

I use the MLD cuben fiber pouches for my other gear, particularly stuff that can't get wet. My electronics go in one pouch, my camera another, one for tools/calls/etc, and my first aid kit in another. I have them labeled, and keeps them organized pretty well if you just throw them into a pack like that. However, if you want to take it a step further you can also throw all these into a medium or large pullout before throwing them in your pack. I usually keep them separate, and put my camera and electronics pouch in my pack lid for easiest access.

These are the MLD pouches: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=210

Last I have a Zpacks medium rolltop cuben fiber stuff sack that I use for my food, and a Stone Glacier roll top bag that I pack empty for use in packing out an animal on the load shelf.

I use Kifaru mega pullouts. They fit perfectly inside my KU3700, I lay them flat and stack them. The first one is my super woobie. The second one is my sugpak 40* bag and bivy, the third is my clothes and the fourth is my chow and stove set. I use two top zip long pockets on the outside for my puffy and shelter/air pad. So far so good.

Sorry to derail the intent of this thread, but how warm are you able to sleep with the Woobie and a 40* bag?

colonel00

WKR
You can always make your own too :)

20140222_203605.jpg

Craig4791

WKR
I use Kifaru KU pull outs. One for a kill kit. One for my contacts, one for survival kit and a mega pull out for my food. Other small items I typically put in the outer pockets if my DT1.

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
anyone toyed with the idea of use kifaru lock n loads inside a DT2 Bag? I would love to see a setup of that. still trying to figure out if its worth the weight of the extra pockets...

I use the Outdoor Research large "Zip Bags" for pull-outs and their 20L sil stuff sacks.
Going to DIY a couple of the stuff sacks into 5-String compression sacks.
Got the line locs, just need to find some 3mm reflective cordage.
Hunt'nFish

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I use an OR Organizer and various drybags. You will have to play with the size and see what you prefer.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a SG solo and the lack of pockets helps me avoid my OCD tendencies.
- Tent goes in a 10L dry bag and straps on the outside in most cases because it is the first thing to come off and get setup.
- Kill kit in a 4L bag.
- Small tarp setup in a 4L bag if I need to spike out.
- Bulk food and water goes in 10L dry bags.

I pile alot of small stuff in the inside pocket on the SG. I can see where a small bag would be useful there. I think i need to consider protecting my spare clothes and rain gear also.

Randle

WKR
I just picked up a 4 pack of Granite gear zip bags, different colors are great for seperate kits , and the smaller sizes are what I was looking for for hygiene kit, fire kit, first aid kit, etc.
they fit right in the horn hunter fullcurl wings. I have OR zip bags for the bigger kill kit and shelter kit and food bags.

Last edited:

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pulling the trigger on Ku pullouts...UL material. Seems to be the best option for me leaving some stuff at camp and taking some with me. Ordering a grab it II as well...might as well take advantage of the shipping :D

Manosteel

WKR
I have done OR bags and others of similar design and I have found nothing beats the Kifaru type pullouts for organizing a pack. I find then easier to work with and the sizes you can get seem tailored to what you need. Of course you can make you own and get exactly what you need :) great DIY thread on this site if you are adventurous.

i dont know if anyone else has done it but its worked well for me.
i took dikes and cut 3bar sliders on the middle rung. about 1/8 in. slipped onto the webbing on the KU pull outs. now my kill kit and possibles hang from the common loops inside my pack. right up and down the stays...

jlsteel

FNG
I use a sea to summit stuff sac for extra clothes and Kuiu dry sac for food. In my kifaru mid long i have my kill kit in a kifaru pullout, first aid/hygiene ziplocked, firestarter kit ziplocked and bit of food ziplocked. I can take this anywhere over my shoulder without pack.

Everything else goes in pack loose