OTC 2021 Rifle Mule Deer Hunt Options???

I am starting to do some research on an OTC guided rifle mule deer hunt for 2021 - the best way to find an honest, true, good guided hunt is word of mouth from other serious hunters. I have been on several guided hunts, with most of them being total green wienie garbage hunts. I am a serious hunter but like to also have a good time. With that said - what can anyone tell me about the best outfitter out there to book a good, fun, and honest rifle mule deer hunt?

Thanks!

NYSKIER

WKR
Can you give us some specifics? What state are you looking for? Do you have a preference? If you can add some more specifics it will help the members here. I'm assuming you have no points anywhere based off the OTC request?

Rich M

WKR
Yes - are you wanting mountain hunt or just a successful trophy hunt - private land hunts can produce some big bucks but might not give you the mountain experience.

OP
KS_Huntlife
I do in fact have several points in multiple states but I am banking them until I have enough to draw a tag in the best unit possible - so I have already applied for points this season and will likely do the same for 2021. I am open to all options - I don't need a mountain hunt but have hiked the worst so with that said I am fit and ready to tackle that if need be, but don't NEED the mountain experience. Hopefully this helps.

Lots of options. Explore OTC states but I’d highly recommend considering hunts you can draw with no points or leftover tags. That option is available in multiple states.

2rocky

WKR
You are really asking an open ended question . You didn't mention:
budget
hunting style
trophy or meat hunt
Time of year
Food 5 star or spartan

Regarding the comment about "I have been on several guided hunts, with most of them being total green wienie garbage hunts. I am a serious hunter but like to also have a good time. "

I've found that the more successful hunter I've become, the less tolerant of "guides" I've become. We all think because we are paying someone, that we will get someone who hunts like we do. When in fact it means because they are doing it for a business they are trying to get as many paying customers through in a limited season . Often times they are understaffed, under equipped and not in as remote of an area as we imagined.

After hunting the same area for 7 years we had an outfitter send his first year guide with us so we could "teach him the country". We tolerated that because we didn't really need someone to hold our hand, but we moved on after that.

It's all about developing a relationship with the personalities. Hunting with a guide you never met is like going on a Honeymoon with a blind date. OTC areas are gonna be a couple days finding the kind of bucks you are looking for and in that time you gotta enjoy the person you are with. Sometimes you need to dial down your expectation that the guide is gonna be just like your best hunting buddy back home. You are one of probably 20 people he is going to guide this season. Better treat him with respect and keep the whining to a minimum.

I've been on both sides of the guide equation. I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to guide hunters unless it is someone I know well. And then I wouldn't want to charge them what it is worth. So IF I do it, Summer time and fishing and I will keep hunting for fun.

Good luck in your search.

Laramie

WKR
I agree with several above but I think it boils down to one thing above all others. Is the rack size top priority? If it is, it becomes much easier to narrow down your focus.

OP
KS_Huntlife
I agree and disagree with a lot of the above points. First off, as I stated earlier - I am open to all options. However, with that said, rack size is a priority. I apply to several trophy units every year but I am looking to fill the gap with a good OTC hunt. I am not worried too much about money, but do have limitations to what I personally feel is worth it for a mule deer.

Does everyone want a 200" mule deer? Yes, but realistically they are not around every corner, I know that. A mature 170"-180" mule deer in an OTC state through a good outfitter should NOT be out of the question.

As far as finding an outfitter who cares, THAT'S why I posted on here. Not every outfitter is in it just for the money - unfortunately, I have found several in the past that are. I am looking for an honest outfitter who is putting the hunter and finding a trophy animal as his/hers best interest. Maybe this is too much to ask for?

I agree that relationship is HUGE as I have been on several outfitted hunts and this can usually make or break the deal when it comes to having a "fun" relaxed hunt regardless of how the actual hunting is. I am a hunter and 100% understand that nothing is given to you and never a guarantee. I just figured I would give this a try instead of sifting through 100s of websites, calling references, and taking a gamble on all the "Money Hungry" outfitters.

To sum it up - yes, antler size is a priority, regardless of the hunting style. Could care less about food and my stay as long as the hunting and guide/outfitter knowledge is good. You tell me the best time of year and best method to increase my odds - that's what I'll do - as I am "open to all options"!!!

Laramie

WKR
I'm not aware of anything in Wyoming that will meet your goals without burning preference points. There probably are options I don't know about... I'll send you a PM with my recommendation in the event you do decide to use them.

2rocky

WKR

There are other outfitters who do this style hunt in Idaho. Take a good look at the country... it is STEEP. It will be a memorable experience and is OTC.....

If you have a decent amount of points for my fair state of Colorado I wouldn't wait long to come hunt here with the new season dates. I would be drawing a third or fourth season tag next year in 2021 for a good unit and come hunt. I wouldn't wait for the "best" unit if that even exists. That's just my opinion and you can take it for what it is worth.

I have no information for guides as I have yet to use one.

Good luck in your search.

Wapiti1

WKR
Here are a few that fit what you are looking for: BMO in South Dakota (not OTC, but easy no-point draw). Alberta Canada contact Greg Brownlee at Neal and Brownlee for what they have in Alberta, or Aaron Neilson at GHR. Aaron also has some LO tag opportunities in CO on good ranches that aren't super spendy, KB Outdoors is one.

Any of these will get you a realistic opportunity at a 160-180" deer.

Jeremy

Cbrew

FNG
I’ve never used them, but they kill some big bucks, so you may want to check into Willow Creek Outfitters In Alberta. I talked to the owner on the phone at one point when I was going to buy my dad an outfitted hunt, and he was super friendly and helpful. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

OP
KS_Huntlife
I've hunted Idaho a few times for mule deer, elk, and even lions and you're not kidding - it is rugged! My original plan as I started this was to go to Alberta and even looked at Willow Creek as well as Mackin Outfitters. After talking to a few connections I have and past experience from other friends of mine, I think at this point I am going to try a Nebraska sandhills hunt. I will keep you all posted!

Here is a photo from Idaho's Lemhi High Country!
IMG_1539.JPG