OTC Antelope Wyoming - Success!

TaylerW

FNG
Found myself working in Casper the last two months. Went to a trade school and came to terms with the fact I would likely not get to hunt this season.

Ended up finding an OTC tag, and was off to the races.

After a number of miles trying to find a spot, I lucked onto some public ground that had an impressive population, including a few really solid bucks.

Weekends were my game. Three weekends in a row I got after it. Blew stalks, ran out of water, lost my release and missed a few shots.

My 4th outing was different. I made my way in as it was just getting light enough to see. Had a few good plays in the morning, but none came to fruition.

Around 10:30 I spotted a group bedded on the crest of a hill in a dust wallow that had a vertical cut a few feet tall. To get out of their line of sight I had to make a massive loop around the back side. After rounding the hill in the center of the unit I had the wind in my face, and about 800 yards of flat ground to cover to put myself where I needed to be. I could see horns just over the crest of the hill. About 300 yards in the does stood up and started to feed.

I was in the wide open and had no where to hide, so I froze. Luckily I had knelt down to glass and confirm I was where I needed to be. Pinned down for about 45 min and eventually the doe bedded down. Unfortunately she bedded on top of the hill, just to the right of the wallow. I made the decision after sitting for another 20 min that I had to make a move. I slowly got to my feet and moved to the left until the terrain blocked me from her view.

Crunch time. I crept toward the crest of the hill, a small buck was bedded about 25 yards from me. About then I felt the wind on my neck and he stood up and spooked. The whole group jumped and ran out to 75 yards.

Some how they all froze at 75, including the nicest buck in the group. I clicked a range on him, rolled my sight to 75, drew and let fly.

A short time later I had my hands on him. My first Antelope, and with a bow!

3C22DB47-8A1B-453A-A564-20DDE8D757CA.jpeg
3E8E2E06-F10E-4D05-88B4-8B28243452D1.jpeg

Tryin

FNG
Nice work! Dedicating time to self-improvement and still getting after it!