OTC Barbary/Aoudad Sheep Hunt in New Mexico

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Not many in any OTC unit. You will be lucky to see any on a hunt. I applaud you for getting on at such a young age and doing your home work. I hunted them a few times and covered many foot miles to see my first one. If you go shoot the first one you see if you have a chance. It is fun trying and I am going to keep trying until I can draw a tag that is not OTC. Good Luck

I’d recommend waiting to see if you could pick up a leftover NM or CO deer tag in any unit rather than an OTC Barbary - if you are dead set on Barbary try unit 34 and good luck.....

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Well, this is reassuring..... lol that was sarcasm. Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. I have heard about unit 34 but I hear it gets hit pretty hard, so I'm reluctant to go there. Do yall have any tips?
Good luck with your hunt. Something that you’ll quickly figure out is essentially any OTC tag is going to be crowded for just about any big game hunt. Only way to really learn is to get out and go though.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
My advise is to not hunt Aoudad in the summer months. It is normally dangerously hot in the summer. Any OTC hunt will be tough enough.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Well, this is reassuring..... lol that was sarcasm. Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. I have heard about unit 34 but I hear it gets hit pretty hard, so I'm reluctant to go there. Do yall have any tips?
I agree summer hunts are really hot but if its the only time that works its better than none at all. I would start up high and glass across canyons trying to spot one. I also would try unit 34. They are all really tough hunts. Get off the main roads and hike move from one ridge to another every day and keep looking. Do lots of glassing. Good Luck Wish I could help more but I haven't figured them out yet myself.

The OTC area of 34 is the only OTC area you are likely to find Barbary and why it is the most heavily hunted OTC area.

Ive always been interested in doing a barbary sheep hunt. There are several otc units within a few hours of me and the season is pretty long.

Cohunter9

FNG
Its not easy, its not impossible. Ive been lucky and turned up sheep in two consecutive years. it takes time and patience. Get good glass, and cover lots of country. Nobody will be able to drop a pin on them for you. They're there. Good luck, have fun, and be safe, its rough country. One of the most fun hunts imo, and contrary to opinion the meat isnt bad.