OTC Cow Elk tags, what r my options?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
So after much thought I think I want to just get a cow elk tag for my first time out west. I have talked my wife into going with me (dont worry she's a former college athlete and in better shape than me)Since my hunting buddies always seem to have some excuse as to why they cant go. I am looking to go OTC. What are my options? Colorado? Idaho? Montana? Wyoming?

can u buy cow tags ahead of time like u can OTC bull tags? or are they all leftover tags etc? i wouldnt mind pairing the hunt with mule deer tag also if that is possible, but may not be

sorry to be so confused, here in virginia you just buy your big game stamp and that gives u all your tags for deer, bear and turkey and go hunting

I need to put in for my upcoming vacation days for next year by the end of the week, so i am not even sure what week in october to take off to accomplish this

thanks in advance for any advice

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Montana has had otc elk/deer combo licenses available throughout the whole season for the past few years. The elk portion is either sex in a some general units so you could shoot a cow if you wanted or a bull if it presented the opportunity. Most of the cow tags are draw. Buying the combo would allow you to go after a mule deer too if you are interested. General season usually opens the last week or so of October for general reference

krueger

FNG
Why did you decide OTC? You would generally be better off (less pressure and better chance of killing) in a draw area. If you dont already have any points for any state then you really dont have anything to lose by doing a first choice draw for a cow tag in a good/great area. My advise would be to research an area/unit/hunt that usually takes a lot of points (a lot of years) to draw a bull elk tag (easy to figure out because they are high profile areas/units) and then apply for a cow tag in one of those units/hunts. All of the states you have listed will be able to provide this.

The only downside to this approach is that if you decide you want to hunt bulls down the road you will have to switch areas and figure out a place.

AHP27

FNG
You can buy OTC either sex tags in CO for Rifle or Archery hunting. If you would get just a cow tag there are less OTC units available to hunt in so either sex may be the way to go. Colorado also has "hunt planners" that you can call and they will give you all the info you need to get started. They work for the Division of Wildlife and are generally pretty useful, their number is 303-297-1192.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Why did you decide OTC? You would generally be better off (less pressure and better chance of killing) in a draw area. If you dont already have any points for any state then you really dont have anything to lose by doing a first choice draw for a cow tag in a good/great area. My advise would be to research an area/unit/hunt that usually takes a lot of points (a lot of years) to draw a bull elk tag (easy to figure out because they are high profile areas/units) and then apply for a cow tag in one of those units/hunts. All of the states you have listed will be able to provide this.

The only downside to this approach is that if you decide you want to hunt bulls down the road you will have to switch areas and figure out a place.

i have never put in for anything before, never really researched it until recently either. i guess i thought i wouldnt stand a chance in any draw unit, dont you have to acquire points to even stand a chance?

what is a " first choice" draw?

topher89

WKR
Lots of cow tags can be drawn in Colorado with no points. I would do some research and find a good area that can be drawn with no points.

Bar

Banned
The only OTC cow tag you can get in Colorado for rifle seasons is unit 54. It's either sex, but the rest are bull tags. The problem with most OTC hunts are they're crowded.

As was already said. Cow tags are easy to get in draw units. Especially, if you take it as a 1st pick. Most hunters put in for bull tags in the draw as a 1st pick, and choose a cow tag as a 2nd pick. So, it's easy to get the cow tag as a 1st pick.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
The only OTC cow tag you can get in Colorado for rifle seasons is unit 54. It's either sex, but the rest are bull tags. The problem with most OTC hunts are they're crowded.

As was already said. Cow tags are easy to get in draw units. Especially, if you take it as a 1st pick. Most hunters put in for bull tags in the draw as a 1st pick, and choose a cow tag as a 2nd pick. So, it's easy to get the cow tag as a 1st pick.

this is the kind of info i was looking for, thank you

WRO

WKR
If you want I can get you hooked up on a private land otc elk hunt in oregon. Relatively in expensive and very high success rate.

1st rifle season in Colorado are by draw and usually either sex tag. There are several tags that can be drawn with zero points either 1st or 2nd choice. It is 5 day season early October with no overlapping mule deer season so only limited number of elk hunters in the woods. CDOW website is very helpful as well as calling them over the phone.

Bar

Banned
1st rifle season in Colorado are by draw and usually either sex tag. There are several tags that can be drawn with zero points either 1st or 2nd choice. It is 5 day season early October with no overlapping mule deer season so only limited number of elk hunters in the woods. CDOW website is very helpful as well as calling them over the phone.

1st rifle, 2nd choice, either sex in a unit worth hunting? What would that be?

krueger

FNG

There are tons of units in Colorado that this is possible. There are units and hunts that have leftover tags where that you can kill a bull every year on public land. There is a leftover unit that me and my brother and hunting party have killed 7 bulls out of 9 bull tags in the last two seasons on leftover first rifle season tags. Just takes some scouting and hardwork.

As a matter of fact, last week during first rifle, I killed 5x5, my brother killed a 5x4, my roommate killed a 6x6, my other buddy killed a 6x6, my college buddy killed a cow, my girlfriend missed a cow and my other buddy missed a legal bull all on leftover tags on public ground in the first 3 days of the season.

Only one of the people in our hunting group this year (group of eight) didnt have a shot opportunity on a legal elk. I didnt type that to brag but to show that there is a ton of opportunity to kill an elk in Colorado

Last edited:

krueger

FNG
i have never put in for anything before, never really researched it until recently either. i guess i thought i wouldnt stand a chance in any draw unit, dont you have to acquire points to even stand a chance?

what is a " first choice" draw?

first choice draw means its your first pick of a hunt. You definately stand a very good (in some cases guaranteed) chance at drawing a cow tag in draw unit, even a very coveted draw unit because as said earlier the majority of hunters put in for bull tags or either sex as a first choice and cow tags as a second choice.

Also the CPW publishes the drawing odds for every hunt in Colorado every year. Take a look and you will be suprised at the places you can get a cow tag every season if you aplly for it first choice

Last edited:

krueger

FNG
You mentioned 2nd choice in the draw for 1st rifle. Not leftover.

Not sure I follow. All leftover tags were in the prior draw available 2nd choice, then available 3rd choice, then available 4th choice, then available in the leftover draw before they become leftovers tags. So actually all leftover tags could have been be drawn as 2nd choice but not all 2nd choice tags will be leftovers.

Not to nit pick but this is the first post that I mentioned 2nd choice in

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
first choice draw means its your first pick of a hunt. You definately stand a very good (in some cases guaranteed) chance at drawing a cow tag in draw unit, even a very coveted draw unit because as said earlier the majority of hunters put in for bull tags or either sex as a first choice and cow tags as a second choice.

Also the CPW publishes the drawing odds for every hunt in Colorado every year. Take a look and you will be suprised at the places you can get a cow tag every season if you aplly for it first choice

OK I understand now after looking at the website. Thanks for explaining that!

Bar

Banned
Not sure I follow. All leftover tags were in the prior draw available 2nd choice, then available 3rd choice, then available 4th choice, then available in the leftover draw before they become leftovers tags. So actually all leftover tags could have been be drawn as 2nd choice but not all 2nd choice tags will be leftovers.

Not to nit pick but this is the first post that I mentioned 2nd choice in

Not sure how you saw that post. I deleted it right away, because I didn't want to start an argument. It's not that important to this thread. You missed my point, and lets leave it at that.

It is possible for sure. There are units on western slope that are either sex 1st rifle guaranteed draw. There are even muzzleloader bull tags that can be drawn without points because I drew one a few years ago on 2nd choice which was almost unbelievable. There are also units that are a 50% or less chance you can draw with zero points. Apply for those units as 1st choice and put down the others that are almost guaranteed as your 2nd choice. That way you can get a point and still go hunting if you don't get your 1st choice.

As I said the CDOW website is very helpful. Lots of information on statistics on draw odds, hunt success, etc. Also, they have a phone number you can call and speak to a "hunt planner" who are also very helpful in helping you locate units that are easier to draw.