OTC Cow Elk tags, what r my options?

Bar

Banned
Just so you know. I've been hunting Colorado since the 50's. I understand the system. I asked for a specific unit so I can check the stats, because I also mentioned it had to be a unit worth hunting.

Just so you know. I've been hunting Colorado since the 50's. I understand the system. I asked for a specific unit so I can check the stats, because I also mentioned it had to be a unit worth hunting.

GMU's 44/45 are either sex and can be drawn with zero points. A few years ago it was about 50/50 chance for a non-resident. This area has pretty good success considering the terrain
GMU's 21/30 are either bull only or cow only and can be drawn with zero points. A few years ago these bull tags were almost guaranteed (never looked into cow tags). This area has very good success statistics.
Both these areas should have a good amount of public land also.

My research for these areas was done about 3 or 4 years ago, so a lot could have changed since then. However, I still think the original poster could find what he is looking for by researching Colorado 1st rifle season units that can be drawn with zero points.

krueger

FNG

Some units are definately better than others but I think every unit is/can be worth hunting if you put in the time to scout or put in the effort to get access to private.

A really good tactic that I use all the time is to analysis the statistics and trends to find the good hunts/units that i'm interested it. If someone tells you where to look then its not a honey hole or well kept secret. My best spots and fun hunts that we do are so great because I'm the only one (or one of very few people) that knows about them. Analyizing the stats first will show you which units/areas can provide the type of hunt you are looking for whether its a 2nd choice or leftover tag or trophy area.

Brush up on your excel skills and import all the CPW hunting stats and you will be blown away with the opportunities that just off the screen at you if you get creative and specific with what you are looking for. But then again it takes time and effort to do all this, which is probably why very few people do it.

Then to take it to the next level to find a truly great honey hole, learn to use GIS and import all the available data about roads, beetle kill, foresty activity,vegitation and plant cover, access points, trailheads. Then the final step is to take notes and GPS coordinates of all the hunting camps, trails and hikers you encounter in your actual area and plot those on the same maps.

This is the method i use and I have been crazy successfull in the last three years on what other hunters would consider crappy or worthless tags that i can get as leftovers or 2nd choice. This method has produced a 336 inch 8x6 bull, at 194 inch nontypical 33 inch wide muley, a 305 inch 6x6 bull and a 168 inch 5x5 muleys.

Its possible if you are willing to put in 100s of hours to research and scout.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
Some units are definately better than others but I think every unit is/can be worth hunting if you put in the time to scout or put in the effort to get access to private.

A really good tactic that I use all the time is to analysis the statistics and trends to find the good hunts/units that i'm interested it. If someone tells you where to look then its not a honey hole or well kept secret. My best spots and fun hunts that we do are so great because I'm the only one (or one of very few people) that knows about them. Analyizing the stats first will show you which units/areas can provide the type of hunt you are looking for whether its a 2nd choice or leftover tag or trophy area.

Brush up on your excel skills and import all the CPW hunting stats and you will be blown away with the opportunities that just off the screen at you if you get creative and specific with what you are looking for. But then again it takes time and effort to do all this, which is probably why very few people do it.

Then to take it to the next level to find a truly great honey hole, learn to use GIS and import all the available data about roads, beetle kill, foresty activity,vegitation and plant cover, access points, trailheads. Then the final step is to take notes and GPS coordinates of all the hunting camps, trails and hikers you encounter in your actual area and plot those on the same maps.

This is the method i use and I have been crazy successfull in the last three years on what other hunters would consider crappy or worthless tags that i can get as leftovers or 2nd choice. This method has produced a 336 inch 8x6 bull, at 194 inch nontypical 33 inch wide muley, a 305 inch 6x6 bull and a 168 inch 5x5 muleys.

Its possible if you are willing to put in 100s of hours to research and scout.

You should be quoting the OP.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
for the record the OP didnt ask for specific gmu's lol.....did not expect that

i know better than to ask for honey holes but all info posted here was very helpful and i appreciate it. i took the first step to commitment and put i for a little over a week of vacation for sometime in october yesterday, so now its just a matter of research and putting in for the draws with a 2nd option for a either sex or cow tag