OTC Elk Hunt With My Son!

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I had been Running & Gunning calling for bulls in hopes of a response, we'd covered several miles on foot up & down some fairly steep timbered terrain. Around noon we'd decided to take a break & a snack. We no more than relaxed a bit & we hear a bull bugle on the opposite drainage we were on. We estimated aprox a 1/2 mile away but because we were high on this mountain with a huge drainage between us we could hear his bugle, then we heard a 2nd bull bugle in the same area. We sat there for 15 minutes & listened we heard 3-4 more bugles from them. One was a bull for sure but at that distance it was hard to tell if the other was a hunter. At any rate the bugling sorta died off but we decided to head over towards them as the area we were in generally had few to no hunters!

As we head over there descending the steep mountain we cut this small stream below us about 15' across & no way to get down to it, on both sides of it were 12' high willows as far as we could see to the left & right of us paralleling the stream & in front of us, it looked nearly impassable & was going to take forever to get through it. 30 minutes had already passed & it was going to take even longer to get around it. It was noisy & we couldn't hear anything plus once down in there we really weren't sure where the bugles had come from! Being hot & afternoon we decide to back out & come back early morning from a different direction where we could slip in under where we heard the bugling. We felt that late in the day they were in their bedding area so we should be able to locate them that next day.

The next morning we park on a dirt road that was well under where we'd heard the bugling. We walk up the steep mountain in hopes of getting to the right area. When on the opposite side of the drainage the day before we'd noticed a huge rock cliff that was just above the bugling bulls; so if possible to see out once high enough we knew we had a landmark to go by. We head up this mountain 3/4 of a mile & hear nothing & we haven't called to this point! After about an hour from the rig we happen on this huge rock mass/cliff we saw the day before. We sit there for about 20 minutes listening in hopes of hearing a bugle. It was a bit iffy since now we were above where we felt these bulls may be & the wind was going down the mountain, we were on a north facing slope.

After the 20 minutes I decide I'm going to give a location bugle & see what happens, I no more than pull the grunt tube out & a bull bugles under us & to our left, we got lucky as he wasn't in our wind pattern. We quickly grab our stuff & hustle down the mountain as quiet as possible but moving quickly, we are getting as close as we can to his same level 300 yards away so no way could he hear us at this point. We get to where we feel we are on his level on a pretty nice timbered bench running east & west; there's a pretty good game trail on it with lots of fresh sign. We sit there 15 minutes as we're not sure exactly where he is from his one & only bugle? We know he's there somewhere but remain patient & do not call! Finally he gives a single bugle, nothing responds to him, it was a lazy type bugle where a bull could be sending out his calling card to attract a cow to his position, it was by no means Challenging. With this in mind I know I cannot get aggressive with this bull, I will need to play on his curiosity & his possible interest in a cow that I got from his his bugle tone! Time for the Slow Play!

First we slip along the bench closing the distance, we are now 175 yards from him but hit another wall of willows, it was a no go so now I need to bring him over to us! There's a game trail of sorts entering the willows & will now attempt to bring him out that way. This bench we're on is 40 yards wide with a 2nd one below us but pretty close, it's kinda like a double stair step where we are on the upper one. My Son sets up 10 yards on the downhill side of the game trail, I setup to call 30 yards behind a dead downfall log from him because it's a bit more open than I like, generally I'd be 20 yards from him to start with. With both in position my Son nocks an arrow, I can clearly see him so can read his body language. -- I start with 2 low mews & one louder mew hoping for a response since this is what it appears he is looking for from his bugle. Nothing happens, 3-4 minutes later I repeat, nothing, 3-4 minutes I do it again, this time he gives a short low bugle showing interest in this cow. I answer with one low mew but I knew he could hear it. 5-6 minutes goes by & nothing, then out of no where he gives the same bugle but it's much closer, I answer him again with one soft mew & one mid range mew with a small whine to it. (I'm using a mouth reed) He responds immediately with a bugle with more intense emotion, I now know it's just a matter of setting him up for a shot opportunity! I feel he's just a bit over a 100 yards away now but cannot see a thing, a few minutes goes by & no bugle, I think he may be slipping in silent? But nope! All of a sudden he bugles from the same spot but this time he added a few chuckles at the end, he wants me coming to him, I feel he's getting nervous because this cow isn't coming his way like he's asking her to do!

I know I need to do something to convince him to cut the distance, he's not fired up at all so do not want to challenge him yet! Instead I start raking the dead downfall I'm behind & snap off a couple dead branches, he bugles instantly, I cow call with 2 sweet drawn out whines, he bugles again & now I can hear him coming, I immediately give him a throaty growl through my bugle tube followed by 2-3 pants! (not a bugle) I can now hear the willows breaking & catch movement as the willows start to sway 30 yards from my Son, the bull is not taking the game trail instead he's slowly heading towards the lower bench, I cannot see him yet but I can see the willows moving. All of a sudden I see my Son get up off his knee & parallel the willows for 20 yards, he too knows the bull is dropping just below us. Just before the bull gets out of the willows I scream a Challenge, that really pisses him off & here he comes, my Son is now looking on the lower bench & I see him come to full draw I see the bulls antlers coming right towards me, he's only 35 yards from me & coming quick, the bull gets to a log & has to step over it, in doing so he slows to a stand still & my Son lets the arrow fly, I call immediately to slow him down as he bolts out of there, the bull is out of my sight now, I look towards my Son to see his reaction & he's smiling, that's a good thing! (grin) He waves me over, I get there & he just points down the hill & doesn't say a word, there lies that bull stone dead not 40 yards from us! It was an awesome hunt & outcome!

You never know exactly what you're going to do until you see things develop & then you still shoot from the hip! Hopefully some of this story can shed some light & aid you on your next elk hunt if faced with a similar situation!

Paul II 2013 Bull Color02.jpgPaul II 2013 Bull Color08.jpg

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
My Sons setup was a Hoyt Carbon Element 70# 28" draw. 400 grain arrow with a 100 grain viper trick head!

ElkNut

Well done! My takeaway from everything I've learned from you is the versatility. More than one way to skin an elk. Being able to switch it up in a moment's notice and get that bull to commit is so crucial.

Mac7

WKR
Love reading these. Pics are cool but a story with details are great. Congrats to your son and you on the bull.

elkguide

WKR
Great hunt. Very well told and especially well played out hunt.

Talking with an elk isn't so much about how you say it
as it is about when you say it and what you say.
Thanks for taking us along.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys!

Elkguide, I would say it's both how to say it & when to say it! On elk that rarely see hunters it's not as big a deal as heavily pressured elk where your sounds need to be believable. With those, communication is far more important than just making elk sounds!

ElkNut

dg96

FNG
What was the reason for not putting out a locate bugle early in the morning? Do you think that it might have pushed the elk out of the area?

Also, when the elk was coming you said you gave a challenge bugle when he was 30 yards away in the willows. Had the bull stopped before the challenge and that is what it took to finish him? I probably would have been afraid to rip a challenge bugle in that situation. And thats probably why I wouldn't have killed him.

Thanks for all you do.

Swede

WKR
In the mid to upper 1990s I started paying attention to what ElkNut1 was posting on Bowsite. It was obvious he knew elk calling, and was freely sharing what he had experienced with anyone interested. It was a benefit to get his insights. Some of the things he has pointed out are absolutely essential to being successful. Maybe some of you have learned these things somewhere else. I first picked up on them from the Nut.
I do not know just how much I just believe Paul has changed in the realm of elk hunting, and how much Elknut1 has actually evolved, but I would characterize his early calling approach along the line of "all elk are elk". Now he is explaining the need to address elk in the environment they exist in, and have adapted to.
I am nothing of the caller Elknut1 is, but am close to being an expert in things that do not work. Where I hunt, calling is over-used on steroids. What I am finding useful are just occasional calls that arouse their curiosity then following up by waiting. Patience wins the day.
It seems that where Paul and his son are hunting, the elk are starting to be more suspicious of calls. Just reading stories like the one above make me think the ElkNut tribe is needing to get cagier and cagier. Maybe Paul can elaborate on this?

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks Guys!

I could have used a Locator Bugle but I didn't feel the need, I knew the bull was up there from the past day of hearing him. I decided to move into the area in hopes of hearing him first & then reacting to his emotion for that day.

If you read just prior to me giving the Challenge with the bugle you'll see I had already injected a Stay Back Growl/Challenge with my voice into my bugle tube so this Challenge Bugle was just icing on the cake to give him the direction I needed him to come to give my Son his shot. Too, the bull was in the cover when I bugled at that time, no way he could see my position. If I remember correctly my Son took him at around 30 yards.

swede, elk hunting is like anything else in life, we have to adjust & adapt our thinking & tactics as the elk evolve with the times! Evolving takes place as hunting pressure grows to all time highs, wolves & other predators to deal with that we did not have in years past, etc. There are plenty of tactics that will never die but then there are bulls that can test us to the max especially in pressured areas on OTC hunts. We hunt these areas & these elk every year, most are callable even in areas close to roads. Thanks!

Elk97

WKR
Great hunt, and great writing! It's difficult to accurately relate all the little twists and turns so that someone reading it can "see" it as though they were there. You do it well.