OTC/Leftover Tag Advice

NDGuy

WKR
Welp struck out again for ND deer rifle. Had a 90%+ of drawing a WT tag in the badlands and did not draw. I've drawn a rifle tag 1/7 years in my own state. ND is so messed up with it's tag allocation and big game management. 55k applicants didn't draw a rifle tag for deer (48%), drives me nuts. I am jealous of you guys that can hunt big game every year in your own state.

That being said, I had set vacation aside to be used for this trip so now I am looking at options for some OTC opportunities.

I will likely be checking out MT/SD for Antelope Archery since I believe there will be leftovers to buy OTC. Also going to likely buy a MN deer tag. Are there any other OTC/leftover options within decent distance of ND I am missing?

Best of luck to you all that drew this year!

Last I looked (6 years ago maybe) a non-res could hunt Nebraska OTC antelope (archery only) for pretty reasonable $$. That may have changed but if you're open to driving to SD, northen NE isn't much further. Pretty sure their deer tags (gun or bow) are OTC as well.....

SD moved up the archery deer season (OTC) to September 1st this year, so you might have a chance at velvet bachelor groups if you hit the first week. Pretty cheap non-res tag for decent opportunity in a lot of the western part of the state.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
SD moved up the archery deer season (OTC) to September 1st this year, so you might have a chance at velvet bachelor groups if you hit the first week. Pretty cheap non-res tag for decent opportunity in a lot of the western part of the state.

I think this is the route I will go. Not that far away and can always make a trip out of it and fish the Missouri on the way home.

Correct me if I'm wrong (happens alot) but SD isn't true-OTC even for the archery deer right? I thought last I looked into it you had 100% chance to draw but you still had to enter the draw and pull the tag, couldn't just show up the night before you planned to hunt and get a tag at wal-mart? If that's the case their draw dealine has to be coming up quick or maybe even past?

Correct me if I'm wrong (happens alot) but SD isn't true-OTC even for the archery deer right? I thought last I looked into it you had 100% chance to draw but you still had to enter the draw and pull the tag, couldn't just show up the night before you planned to hunt and get a tag at wal-mart? If that's the case their draw dealine has to be coming up quick or maybe even past?

You are right, it isn't technically OTC, but the app period runs from sometime in June to the end of the season Jan 1, 2019. Since SD mails tags for big game, you would just have to apply for the license a few weeks prior to your trip, but 100% chance to draw on archery.