OTC Montana archery elk

OP
Greenhorn911
You need Preference Points not Bonus points for the General Tag. BP are for the permit draw.

Assuming you have zero now, you can buy one this year and will go into the draw with 1 next year, and gain another if you don't draw.

Ok got it I thought BP was an actual extra point I could buy but it’s for draw areas only instead of the general tag and it’s only good for Montana which totally makes sense now. So chances of drawing with only 1 point from my understanding is going to be vary slim chance. Correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
You must not have been there opening week this past year. It was 15 degrees on the Tuesday morning following Labor Day.

That’s not that cold, go in Nov and 15 is a hot day.

That’s not that cold, go in Nov and 15 is a hot day.

4c52b691772da8ea18982319f4e827f3.jpg

b5cb9b9d786e1c09588ba8cd9de4e413.jpg

That’s two skinny ass dudes tagged out in November, albeit pretty low in elevation. I bring the hot weather apparently.

Ok got it I thought BP was an actual extra point I could buy but it’s for draw areas only instead of the general tag and it’s only good for Montana which totally makes sense now. So chances of drawing with only 1 point from my understanding is going to be vary slim chance. Correct ?

Correct. Probably 2023 unless you apply with the new outfitter subsidy.

Deadfall

WKR
Second heat cycle is hottest. In most places. Which is October.
Alotvof folks disagree but that's the facts of it

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Nope was in Wyoming enjoying beautiful weather. We did get chased out by a storm on the 11th or 12th that dumped a foot in the high country.

I'd expect yours is a pretty rare event, a 1 in 10 kinda thing. If one isn't prepared for weather, then one shouldn't really be elk hunting, IMO of course.
I live in western Montana and the past few years it has been hot the first and maybe second week of September, then come the third week and its game on for cold and snow. I think it was three years ago, second week of September, we got hit hard by cold and snow, and I'm talking teens and twenties for temps. That was the year I shot a 5x5 bull in the third week of October and had to hike him out in thigh deep snow. As for what gear to bring, I always tell people to bring everything and be prepared for whatever we have at the time.

Ok guys like the title says I’m planning this hunt for 2022 I’ve got a few units picked out so my first question would be for the guys that have hunted Montana if you had to gamble on 2 weeks to go what weeks would they be and why. Also what is the weather like up there at that time of year lots of rain ? How cold does it get at night ? How hot during the day ? 0 degree sleeping bag enough ?

hey Greenhorn. Im also from Manitoba and planning on a 2022 Montana archery elk hunt. Just wondering if you want to talk and toss ideas around? Greg Cant figure out how to direct message you.

AbSandy

FNG
I would wait until around the 15th of Sept. Bulls will be bugling more consistently. I hunt in NW Mt and the weather that time of year can be in the 80’s and lows in the 40’s. 0 degree sleeping bag would be plenty warm enough.

OP
Greenhorn911
hey Greenhorn. Im also from Manitoba and planning on a 2022 Montana archery elk hunt. Just wondering if you want to talk and toss ideas around? Greg Cant figure out how to direct message you.

Sure man what would you like to know ? If you click on my name you’ll be able to pm me if you want

Sure man what would you like to know ? If you click on my name you’ll be able to pm me if you want

Sorry Green horn seems i need more posts to threads before i can pm you according to administrator. I just put in my application for Montana today.