OTC Mule Deer

Mike B.

FNG
Never hunted CA, but I've done plenty of training in the Sierra's and they are no joke! I once stumbled into a big buck by any state's standard...I think...it could have also been a hunger induced hallucination though. Never considered hunting there, but it sounds like a good challenge.

@Lukem to your original request, the states with OTC tags that come to mind; I'm sure there is more, but these are the ones I've done, or wanted to do:

Alaska: you can buy three Sitka Blacktail tags OTC, most fun a dude can have in the woods is chasing these bad boys during the rut.
Washington: OTC for blacktail and mule deer, gotta pick an implement/season
California: as I learned seven minutes ago from @LionHead, CA is good to go
Idaho: sort of OTC, just gotta get in early
Utah: like Idaho, gotta apply early, but some of the archery tags are zero points for a general tag. With that you can hunt the general archery season for the unit you drew and then extended archery (I arrowed a MD buck in extended archery this year), it was awesome!
Arizona: Used to buy OTC archery for MD and Coues Deer. As @Aimsmallmissmall mentioned, probably going away this year though.
Montana: I think the new legislation this year made it so if you spend a little extra cheddar and buy early, you are essentially guaranteed a tag. We'll see how it plays out though.

***if you have the $$$, just start looking up landowner tags in whatever state you want to go to, buy it, then hunt!

Matt H

FNG
Not that I know of, I've always been a resident lol. But I dont see why it would be any harder than buying a license and a tag.

A premium draw would take a few points just like everywhere else.. besides at 9000 ft all the places start to look similar
fc3ef3ba30541e3df778bcf636a63b6a.jpg
a740b3516ada70aad6928a1550b110c7.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

That's gorgeous country, Definitely not what I think about when I think California. Very cool

Not sure I have ever fot to hunt over the counter mule deer always had to put in for a draw here in New Mexico. I heard about it, but I have been hunting here for 20 years. Only bad thing about over the counter is the impact it has on the herd size and quality of bucks. Yes opportunity to hunt, but I kills off the population quick.

Never hunted CA, but I've done plenty of training in the Sierra's and they are no joke! I once stumbled into a big buck by any state's standard...I think...it could have also been a hunger induced hallucination though. Never considered hunting there, but it sounds like a good challenge.

@Lukem to your original request, the states with OTC tags that come to mind; I'm sure there is more, but these are the ones I've done, or wanted to do:

Alaska: you can buy three Sitka Blacktail tags OTC, most fun a dude can have in the woods is chasing these bad boys during the rut.
Utah: like Idaho, gotta apply early, but some of the archery tags are zero points for a general tag. With that you can hunt the general archery season for the unit you drew and then extended archery (I arrowed a MD buck in extended archery this year), it was awesome!
Arizona: Used to buy OTC archery for MD and Coues Deer. As @Aimsmallmissmall mentioned, probably going away this year though.
Montana: I think the new legislation this year made it so if you spend a little extra cheddar and buy early, you are essentially guaranteed a tag. We'll see how it plays out though.

***if you have the $$$, just start looking up landowner tags in whatever state you want to go to, buy it, then hunt!
So basically in Montana if you are wealthy you will get to hunt on public land and if not your odds are lower of getting to use state Lans. That seems like it is illegal or should be. Everyone applying from out of state should have an equal opportunity to get a tag. That's BS l, I hope the ranchers don't have a say and the public vote no to that crap.

So basically in Montana if you are wealthy you will get to hunt on public land and if not your odds are lower of getting to use state Lans. That seems like it is illegal or should be. Everyone applying from out of state should have an equal opportunity to get a tag. That's BS l, I hope the ranchers don't have a say and the public vote no to that crap.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Say what?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rokbar

WKR
Come to California. Ca has over the counter mule deer tags for archery and rifle.
Probably one of the best ideas. I think I would have to fly. 50 hour drive....It's been over 30 years since I have been out there, but a nice state. Used to see deer on the ranges all the time at Ft. Ord and Hunter Ligget. Now, I am not going to even ask if they were mulies or black tail though!!!

Probably one of the best ideas. I think I would have to fly. 50 hour drive....It's been over 30 years since I have been out there, but a nice state. Used to see deer on the ranges all the time at Ft. Ord and Hunter Ligget. Now, I am not going to even ask if they were mulies or black tail though!!!
I have been very fortunate here in Ca, I have been filling all my deer tags every year for over a couple decades, unless I have chosen to to not take the bucks that presented opportunities; as I generally hold out for mature bucks. However, that success rate came with a whole lot of very hard work and simply being out in the field scouting at pretty much every opportunity. In fact, so much so that I now need two complete knee replacements (currently bone on bone). So I might have to sit this season out, as I have my right knee scheduled this coming May 13th. I will get the other one scheduled once my right knee recovers enough. Once I have recovered from both knee replacements and am back in shape, I'd be willing to take you on a Sierra mule deer hunt.

Rokbar

WKR
I have been very fortunate here in Ca, I have been filling all my deer tags every year for over a couple decades, unless I have chosen to to not take the bucks that presented opportunities; as I generally hold out for mature bucks. However, that success rate came with a whole lot of very hard work and simply being out in the field scouting at pretty much every opportunity. In fact, so much so that I now need two complete knee replacements (currently bone on bone). So I might have to sit this season out, as I have my right knee scheduled this coming May 13th. I will get the other one scheduled once my right knee recovers enough. Once I have recovered from both knee replacements and am back in shape, I'd be willing to take you on a Sierra mule deer hunt.
If I can find time I may one day take you up on that offer OR trade you for a WNC whitetail or black bear hunt. Probably be easier hiking over here!

If I can find time I may one day take you up on that offer OR trade you for a WNC whitetail or black bear hunt. Probably be easier hiking over here!
There is kryptonite (altitude) in the Sierras, so you can count on the hiking be much tougher. Let me know when you're ready.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Texas is OTC mule deer.
That's mostly in theory only, unless leasing or paying for a hunt, and those both cost very serious coin. Sure, your hunting license will have mule deer tags, but there is no non-private mule deer hunting except by draw and those odds will make any western state draw look easy. So, if willing/able to cough up a lot of cash for a hunt, it's OTC. If wanting to hunt public, or without spending a fortune, it's really not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WA is otc mule deer for archery, muzzle and modern. Some great wilderness opportunities for those willing to research and hike.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That's gorgeous country, Definitely not what I think about when I think California. Very cool
Most people think of LA and San Francisco. It has more public land that any state other than Alaska and Nevada. Some damn good hunting if you spend your time wisely.

IMG_6602.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_4407.jpeg