OTC Mule Deer

Lukem

WKR
Trying to compile a little info and this group is as knowledgeable as any.

How many states have OTC mule deer opportunities for nonresidents? I know Nebraska has for both archery and firearm. Any other states have firearm? Any for archery? I'll consider muzzleloader a firearm for my info. Not looking for places to hunt and I'll delete this thread so it doesn't live in internet eternity. Heck, PM me if you want.

Thanks!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mule deer hunting is going to be interesting over the next few years. OTC mule deer tags, sadly, are becoming a thing of the past and the application numbers are going to ensure that. For instance...Idaho system getting slammed the last couple of years. Now you basically get put in a draw(random placement in line) just to buy a license for a particular zone and that has to be done early as it has become very popular. My guess is that even Idaho will be forced to go full draw on all zones in the near future.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I learned a valuable lesson on this year's OTC elk hunt in Colorado. Ibdid also have a mule deer tag. Even though the mountains looked vast if there is another road 5 or 6 miles on the other side of the mountain then it's only 2 1/2 to 3 miles to the middle. This pits a tremendous amount of pressure on the game and they get pushed onto private property. Make sure wherever you hunt, especially OTC that it's a big enough area where it's more difficult to push the game off.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Mule deer hunting is going to be interesting over the next few years. OTC mule deer tags, sadly, are becoming a thing of the past and the application numbers are going to ensure that. For instance...Idaho system getting slammed the last couple of years. Now you basically get put in a draw(random placement in line) just to buy a license for a particular zone and that has to be done early as it has become very popular. My guess is that even Idaho will be forced to go full draw on all zones in the near future.
Yeah, the interest in western hunting is changing the tag allocation landscape for sure. Thanks.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, the interest in western hunting is changing the tag allocation landscape for sure. Thanks.
My unscientific feeling is that states will be forced to go 100% draw for mule deer in 5 years if the application pressure keeps up. Residents of places like Wyoming would feel the strain too with deer numbers being what they are.

LionHead

WKR
Come to California. Ca has over the counter mule deer tags for archery and rifle.
Come on down! it's not all bad in the Golden state.
I managed to harvest this 3x4 at 285yrds this year. To think I almost returned my tag due to the fires.

Although I gotta say I'm a little jealous of the deer sizes in the Rockies states
f2fb5e64e0625c8c4fe3bb3145656228.jpg
a2f264c53c0be0590ced29f79c902afe.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Gaurantee it goes to 100% draw, it’s become too popular. You can see that the western states are all feeling it with their reactions in their policy changes that are currently happening and have happened in the last few years. I can’t say blame anyone for wanting to hunt the west tho. I love it here. I guess my one gripe is the people who got rich off promoting it and changing things forever. But I think it was inevitable either way.

Come on down! it's not all bad in the Golden state.
I managed to harvest this 3x4 at 285yrds this year. To think I almost returned my tag due to the fires.

Although I gotta say I'm a little jealous of the deer sizes in the Rockies states
f2fb5e64e0625c8c4fe3bb3145656228.jpg
a2f264c53c0be0590ced29f79c902afe.jpg

Awesome buck dude, congrats! Looks like you were avoiding the new burns by hunting the old burns!

I've considered hunting California for hogs and turkeys but I just might add muleys to the list. I'm from Colorado and they're one of my absolute favorite animals to go after

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Arizona is over the counter but it’s fixing to change this next year so this may be your last chance to hunt AZ without a draw

Azone

WKR
Come to California. Ca has over the counter mule deer tags for archery and rifle.
Man, talk about blowing up the greatest honey hole left in the west lol!
The only upside to this damn place is no non resident shenanigans. I’ve encountered exactly three non resident hunters my entire life here and they all said they were never coming back.😂

LionHead

WKR
Awesome buck dude, congrats! Looks like you were avoiding the new burns by hunting the old burns!

Thanks!

To be fair this is my first buck in 5 years and it's in a premium draw zone.

There's been a lot of trial and error and lessons learned. Most guys I know pop small forkies. There was a lot of tag soup before this harvest. And I'm just lucky to have been there to capitalize on an opportunity

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Man, talk about blowing up the greatest honey hole left in the west lol!
The only upside to this damn place is no non resident shenanigans. I’ve encountered exactly three non resident hunters my entire life here and they all said they were never coming back.😂
That’s because chasing mule deer hybrids in the CA Sierras is damn hard hunting. Rarely saw any out of state hunters there in my over 20 years hunting there.

Don’t tell them about the big granite bucks that are as slippery as the sand on that granite is. So many failed stalks over the years on those big boys. Smart deer.

B5D6F131-0342-453C-BFD1-2D143135839D.jpeg

LionHead

WKR
Right!
People get spoiled off them hurds and big Muleys in the Rockies.

You want a challenge? Consistently Harvest a big CA Muley buck on public land.

We've got all the severe terrain you could want in the Sierra's, leave sea level at breakfast and be climbing 10,000ft passes by lunch

Weather? Sure got that too. The rifle opener can be 90 degrees and dry or 14 degrees and blowing.
The Sierra's will teach some hard lessons.

And then there's the deer and they ain't stupid, Newsom guaranteed a highschool education to all CA Mule Deer, so come try it. I've never once met an out of state public land Hunter in CA.

Last edited:

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Right!
People get spoiled off them hurds and big Muleys in the Rockies.

You want a challenge? Consistently Harvest a big CA Muley buck on public land.

We've got all the severe terrain you could want in the Sierra's, leave sea level at breakfast and be climbing 10,000ft passes by lunch

Weather? Sure got that too. The rifle opener can be 90 degrees and dry or 14 degrees and blowing.
The Sierra's will teach some hard lessons.

And then there's the deer and they ain't stupid, Newsom guaranteed a highschool education to all CA Mule Deer, so come try it. I've never once met an out of state public land Hunter in CA.
i am not going to try it any time soon other than it would be a fun to see it once, but isnt it damn near impossible to get a non res tag anyway in cali?

LionHead

WKR
i am not going to try it any time soon other than it would be a fun to see it once, but isnt it damn near impossible to get a non res tag anyway in cali?
Not that I know of, I've always been a resident lol. But I dont see why it would be any harder than buying a license and a tag.

A premium draw would take a few points just like everywhere else.. besides at 9000 ft all the places start to look similar
fc3ef3ba30541e3df778bcf636a63b6a.jpg
a740b3516ada70aad6928a1550b110c7.jpg