OTC third rifle season- Colorado

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Call me crazy, I'm planning my first solo elk hunt for this November during the OTC third rifle season in Colorado. Everybody has that "miserable S.O.B." hunt they love to hate after it's all said and done and there is just something about this hunt that intrigues me for those exact reasons. I welcome the challenge. I've flooded my life with stat charts, forums, articles, posts, google earth, potential outcomes, worse case scenarios, and thoughts of hopeful celebrations. However, as stated previously, I am an elk virgin and will willing admit that I have no idea what I'm doing, clearly.

Id love to hear some of your experiences, thoughts, input, advice, do's and dont's, weather expectations, potential things I may be overlooking in the excitement of a new goal, some dont forgets, and even some don't expects if you've got any. Thanks for anything and everything in advance, guys!

Im a huge fan of 3rd season. Its cold and miserable so i usually have the place to myself. I am close to where i hunt so i dont have to stay overnight.

Live Oak

FNG
Justinspicher,

How are you doing? Iv read alot of your threads on here as a non member. .I recently became a member due to the fact I like to weigh in on some convos. . This is gonna be me and my pops second trip to colorado. .we are coming 3rd rifle season and are hunting GMU'S north of durango. . I see you live close to there. I would absolutely love to chat with you on what iv found for spots and what you think I should be looking for.. my pops is getting up in age and this is one of his bucket list items. . any info would be amazing. I dont want your honey spots or anything like that. I'm willing to work for our share. We are coming from Ohio. Email me if can : [email protected]
Thank you in advance

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I did a 3rd week rifle hunt in 2017 GMU 8. The wind howled all week and it was cold and we did get snow. Going back this year and will be camping. Just ordered a SO Redcliff and stove.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RO1459

FNG
This will be my 40th year elk hunting, all during the third season. This year they have shortened the season to seven days and moved the start date back a few days to give the elk a chance to rest after second season. Next year, they move the season back all the way to what would normally be fourth season. That should be fun.

You can expect and should come prepared for snow. Some years more than others, but we usually see snow. The elk will start moving out of the high country and the bulls will be in the hardest places they can find, just to upset hunters. If you are not in GREAT shape, I would suggest finding an outfitter or even Sombrero (Horse rental) to see if they will use their horses to go in an get your elk for you. Most outfitters offer that service and Sombrero definitely does. Sombrero charges $550 (last year) and if you kill a big bull down in some of the holes they hide in, it is well worth the expense.

While it will probably be cold, especially at night, expect it to warm some up during the day. Last year it was 8 to 12 degrees at night but warmed up to around 40 during the day. So I would suggest wearing layers to start your hunt each day.

You will need good boots and I suggest Trekking Poles to help walking in snow over rocks. I started using them six years ago and wish I had started 40 years ago. Huge help and makes walking much faster. You can also wrap the handles of the pole together and have a really nice shooting platform.

I also strongly advise any hunter hunting the third or fourth season, to purchase an emergency devise of some kind. The are called PLB's (personal Locator Beacons.) The most popular is the InReach and it allows for messaging. If you get in trouble, you just push a button and help is on the way. It could save your life.

I love the third season and wish you the best of luck and enjoyment.

OP if there's a lot of snow you'll want some gaiters. I never gave them any looks before but used some for the first time last year and they were awesome to have when you're going miles on foot in deepish snow.

I did a 3rd week rifle hunt in 2017 GMU 8. The wind howled all week and it was cold and we did get snow. Going back this year and will be camping. Just ordered a SO Redcliff and stove.

See you out there. Last year there was a doozy, full blown fully chained up fun with feet of snow. It wasn't bad at all, until it started melting off about halfway through 3rd season then it got sloppy.

Live Oak

FNG
RO1459: excellent info my man!! Thank you. Was reading around and alot of people were saying to use 400 gram or less boots and bring extra socks to change out threw out the day? What's your insight on this. . I'd hate to be trekking around 3-5 miles a day in 1800 or more boots. Hahah heavy and sweaty. .

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
RO1459: excellent info my man!! Thank you. Was reading around and alot of people were saying to use 400 gram or less boots and bring extra socks to change out threw out the day? What's your insight on this. . I'd hate to be trekking around 3-5 miles a day in 1800 or more boots. Hahah heavy and sweaty. .
I wear warm boots with more insulation. The lighter less insulated are fine until you stop to glass and if it's really cold that's when the feet get cold. Unless you load them up with foot warmers...

Live Oak

FNG
I wear warm boots with more insulation. The lighter less insulated are fine until you stop to glass and if it's really cold that's when the feet get cold. Unless you load them up with foot warmers...

I'm just more scared to have warm insulated boots and like any brand the more insulated the heavier. What's a good gram for walking/hiking boots. 1000,1500,1800 2000.

PLB or not, give someone your most accurate daily itinerary. Camping out of your truck? Park somewhere you can actually get it out if it snows or a lot of moisture makes the roads slick. Those are some of my biggest concerns when going alone that time of year.

RO1459

FNG

I use a 800 gram boot and then two pair of socks. One is a wicking sock, (dress socks), and the second is from Darn Tuff sock company. My feet are never cold and the boots are light weight. I have a pair of Kennetecs but they are heavy and I now use Pronghorns. Not as good a boot but they have a great tread and are lighter. At my age, that matters. I go as light as possible since I still walk five to ten miles a day. I even carry a Sawyer Squeeze water filter rather than water bottles. Just to reduce weight.

cnelk

WKR
Back in the 90s we used to hunt the 3rd season. At that time there wasn’t a 4th season. We could shoot bulls, spikes and cows. Man did we lay down the elk.

Hope for snow and cold.

Now, sometimes I might pick a leftover 1st or 4th season cow tag, but I’ll steer clear of 2nd and 3rd season.
A small ice fishing sled can come in real handy!

Good luck- stay warm

EB9B56AF-4ABB-4AF3-8D68-3FA0B9EBFAF9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my 40th year elk hunting, all during the third season. This year they have shortened the season to seven days and moved the start date back a few days to give the elk a chance to rest after second season. Next year, they move the season back all the way to what would normally be fourth season. That should be fun.

You can expect and should come prepared for snow. Some years more than others, but we usually see snow. The elk will start moving out of the high country and the bulls will be in the hardest places they can find, just to upset hunters. If you are not in GREAT shape, I would suggest finding an outfitter or even Sombrero (Horse rental) to see if they will use their horses to go in an get your elk for you. Most outfitters offer that service and Sombrero definitely does. Sombrero charges $550 (last year) and if you kill a big bull down in some of the holes they hide in, it is well worth the expense.

While it will probably be cold, especially at night, expect it to warm some up during the day. Last year it was 8 to 12 degrees at night but warmed up to around 40 during the day. So I would suggest wearing layers to start your hunt each day.

You will need good boots and I suggest Trekking Poles to help walking in snow over rocks. I started using them six years ago and wish I had started 40 years ago. Huge help and makes walking much faster. You can also wrap the handles of the pole together and have a really nice shooting platform.

I also strongly advise any hunter hunting the third or fourth season, to purchase an emergency devise of some kind. The are called PLB's (personal Locator Beacons.) The most popular is the InReach and it allows for messaging. If you get in trouble, you just push a button and help is on the way. It could save your life.

I love the third season and wish you the best of luck and enjoyment.
Thank you so much for the info! I purchased an inreach and i will be taking a shelter with a stove for the nights and will even be taking my heated foot insoles as well. I'm really looking forward to it. My biggest mind set going into it is know my limits. I'm excited to give this new venture a try. I may even come to love the challenge. Thank you again for the info! Its greatly appreciated.

ETHunter

FNG
Call me crazy, I'm planning my first solo elk hunt for this November during the OTC third rifle season in Colorado. Everybody has that "miserable S.O.B." hunt they love to hate after it's all said and done and there is just something about this hunt that intrigues me for those exact reasons. I welcome the challenge. I've flooded my life with stat charts, forums, articles, posts, google earth, potential outcomes, worse case scenarios, and thoughts of hopeful celebrations. However, as stated previously, I am an elk virgin and will willing admit that I have no idea what I'm doing, clearly.

Id love to hear some of your experiences, thoughts, input, advice, do's and dont's, weather expectations, potential things I may be overlooking in the excitement of a new goal, some dont forgets, and even some don't expects if you've got any. Thanks for anything and everything in advance, guys!

Hey Jordan, interested in hearing how your 3rd season solo hunt went last year as I am in the same boat this year. Will be hunting 3rd season rifle solo in units 25/25. I’m kind of apprehensive and excited at the same time.