OTC Unit for Mixed-Bag of Hunters (CO)?

UpWndFrt

FNG
I'm sure it's on here, and I'm sure I could piece the info together, but I'm hoping to avoif eliminating units 1 by 1 if there's another option (computer time goes to school these days). Here goes...

I'm going to be joined by some friends next year for what is shaping up to be a 2nd season (rifle), OTC, public land, DIY dealio. Good dudes, but a very wide range of experience (none of them have done a DIY western hunt, most have done some guided big-game hunts and probably a decent variety of other hunting), an even wider range physical fitness amend them (ranging from legit athletes to... otherwise), etc.

To an extent we'll be limited to road camping, ATV's, and whatever the least motivated/physically fit person can manage from there. My experience is limited to the middle of the state (Gunnison), and I can't think of anywhere I've hunted that didn't involve a steep climb (and a couple hours of it) to get where I wanted to be. That seems to do okay for car camping and a bit of physical exertion. One or two just aren't up for 1000ft elevation change first thing in the morning (according to me, not them).

If possible, I'd also love to be in an area nearby where 2 of us could pack a camp in a couple miles and start hunting from it. The areas I've been seem to fall short here; anywhere you've walked more than 2 miles from a road, you're not getting deeper, just getting closer to the next road.

I think I've tempered expectations pretty well, and they aren't gonna pitch a fit if we don't all take record bulls or anything, but if this unicorn GMU had some shiny sign on the ground and a more-than-zero chance that they'll have an opportunity while hunting the low-hanging fruit, that'd be pretty cool.

Basically, I'm looking for a pool. A public pool. One with a deep end and a shallow end. Beautiful lifeguards, lack of Snickers bars floating in the water, and a parking lot I won't get robbed in are all just "fluff" if we can just find the damn pool.

My gut is telling me that means going to the Western edge of the state, but if anyone wants to throw me a bone, point me in the right direction, etc... much obliged. Just want everyone to get out alive, have some fun, have a... reasonable chance of success, and allow me and another guy to be within a hike and ride on the ATV away from the main group.

This might be feasible, but if it's the dumbest thing you've ever heard it won't hurt my feelings to say so. But... if you tell me this might not be a disaster you'll might just make my day!

Last edited:
I believe the adage that “if you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one“ applies here.

that said, everything you need to answer this is on the CPW hunting atlas. Concentration areas, topos for high vs low, steep vs gentle, private vs public, wilderness and roads....there is plenty of time for research for next year.

Last edited:
OP
U

UpWndFrt

FNG
I would recommend a drop camp. Let the athletes pair up, the beer bellies pair up, and let everyone go as far from camp as they feel like it and meet back at lunch and dark. No pack in, and will have help to pack out.
Good thought. The "etc" also includes budgets and attitudes. I always associated a drop camp with private land, often guides, etc, but may be way off base on that one. Kinda chuckling that I just never needed to know anything about it until now. Appreciate your insight!

I would recommend a drop camp. Let the athletes pair up, the beer bellies pair up, and let everyone go as far from camp as they feel like it and meet back at lunch and dark. No pack in, and will have help to pack out.
I agree with this. My thought on drop camp in this scenario is any place it's ok to camp near the road. I guarantee the guys who can hike steep stuff, 8-12 miles per day are not going to be super happy with road hunting.

My advice would be 1) camp near the road so the road hunters can do their thing, 2) camp near a place the athletes can hike in from, and 3) EVERYBODY GET INTO BETTER SHAPE! It's not that time consuming but it is important. A little excercise every day can help a ton. Elk hunting is physical, and trying to do it otherwise is not satisfying usually.

As to the original post and question, I have never hunted Co and know nothing about it. I just think there are a few ways to accomplish what you want without limiting the athletes and without taxing the others.

Jethro

WKR
Our group has a variety of physical capabilities and we've trucked camped and drop camped. Some go deep, some guys go medium, some hunt close. Everybody hunts the way they're comfortable. Spread out but close enough that if somebody gets one down, help is available. Lots of units that provide challenging and more mild terrain from one centrally located camp.

If your driving out from VA, may want to bring your vehicle. Don't want somebody who isn't looking to put much physical exertion into an elk hunt holding the keys and deciding when the hunt is over and its time to go home.

Poser

WKR
Good thought. The "etc" also includes budgets and attitudes. I always associated a drop camp with private land, often guides, etc, but may be way off base on that one. Kinda chuckling that I just never needed to know anything about it until now. Appreciate your insight!

A “drop camp” would be more like getting dropped off by horses in some location (public or private) with a wall tent and a stove setup for you. Extra $ if you want a cook. Then, they pick you up a week later. I, too, think this would be up for consideration since hunting could potentially involve hunting directly out of camp as well as pushing as hard and far as anyone wishes. Public land drop camp is going to be in the $2000 per person range for a week on public land. They’ll probably have cots for you as well as a pile of wood for the stove. The beer drinkers might complain, but packing in whiskey is a reasonable option.

OP
U

UpWndFrt

FNG
Our group has a variety of physical capabilities and we've trucked camped and drop camped. Some go deep, some guys go medium, some hunt close. Everybody hunts the way they're comfortable. Spread out but close enough that if somebody gets one down, help is available. Lots of units that provide challenging and more mild terrain from one centrally located camp.

If your driving out from VA, may want to bring your vehicle. Don't want somebody who isn't looking to put much physical exertion into an elk hunt holding the keys and deciding when the hunt is over and its time to go home.
This one had been nagging at me a bit but I kinda swept it under the rug. Reading someone else say it... that would suck and be a lose-lose. Extra truck adds costs but could make a biiiigg difference in the right/wrong circumstance.

Gave me a thought to use the outfitters' info as a way to reverse engineer the type of terrain that might work. I keep imagining a unit with foothills on one half and mountains on the other, or plains/canyons. Probably limiting myself thinking like that this early.

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
Need an iron clad agreement up front, like have the conversation tomorrow, that you don't leave early unless everyone agrees, no matter how much someone is homesick and crying.

njdoxie

WKR
My advice would be 3) EVERYBODY GET INTO BETTER SHAPE! It's not that time consuming but it is important. A little excercise every day can help a ton. Elk hunting is physical, and trying to do it otherwise is not satisfying usually.
Nice thought, but it's impossible to make someone get into shape with words. It's like trying to talk someone into quitting cigarettes, doesn't work, never will work. They have to want it.

Nice thought, but it's impossible to make someone get into shape with words. It's like trying to talk someone into quitting cigarettes, doesn't work, never will work. They have to want it.
haha. Well I busted my ass and got myself in shape between last elk season and this one. It has been the single greatest improvement to my hunting ever. I hear you though, people don't change until they want to. But seriously, I cannot stress enough how important conditioning is...and I live at 8000' so I don't even have to deal with the acclimation of the flatlander :)

OP
U

UpWndFrt

FNG
[...] so I don't even have to deal with the acclimation of the flatlander.
It's pretty brutal for a couple days, then I finally start feeling like a goat JUST in time to pack it up and go home.
I did a very small bit of research on drop camp outfitters. I'm very open to the possibility that I've misjudged the whole thing, and see the utility in it, but holy cow that seems to be the biggest ripoff in town. Couple grand for a horseback ride into public land? Wowzers! Guess that's a whole other discussion, though.

CJohnson

WKR
I’d also recommend a drop camp because by putting in a deposit up front you help guarantee everyone is committed. There’s nothing worse than having a bunch of buddies “totally committed” to going elk hunting 11 months from now and then next thing you know you’re driving yourself out to Colorado to hunt alone.

OP
U

UpWndFrt

FNG
Either everyone sees this coming from a mile away, has had it happen to them or, the most likely scenario... you're all in my dreams writing down every little hesitation and doubt that makes it to the surface. It's uncanny!

Just pack up and go, everyone will figure it out in their own way. Some will like it, some won’t. Asking questions on Rokslide can help, but going is the best way to figure it all out.

OP
U

UpWndFrt

FNG
Just pack up and go, everyone will figure it out in their own way. Some will like it, some won’t. Asking questions on Rokslide can help, but going is the best way to figure it all out.
Just pack up and like... drive to Denver? Still time to sort it out, but I think the circumstances in the first post require being a bit more picky than I'm used to when picking a place to stop. One or two of these dudes would be coming home by med-evac if they tried walking where I've always gone.

Catering to that too much might mean I'd be better off not buying a tag at all, but I'm optimistic that there's something in between.

I’d also recommend a drop camp because by putting in a deposit up front you help guarantee everyone is committed. There’s nothing worse than having a bunch of buddies “totally committed” to going elk hunting 11 months from now and then next thing you know you’re driving yourself out to Colorado to hunt alone.
Sounds perfect! As much as I LOVE my hunting buddies and we have a great time together, there is also something about hunting elk alone that is so satisfying and really hits the nail on the head for me. Turkey, deer, antelope, birds, and fishing I very much prefer the company. But for elk, I like it both ways but would err on the side of solo hunting. I know that seems backwards, and it hasn't happened yet, but I would regret solo hunting once I had an animal down!