OTC Unit for Mixed-Bag of Hunters (CO)?

Gave me a thought to use the outfitters' info as a way to reverse engineer the type of terrain that might work. I keep imagining a unit with foothills on one half and mountains on the other, or plains/canyons. Probably limiting myself thinking like that this early.
That's a good place to start.

Burn areas are great (becoming sexy so may be overrun). Anywhere that has a lot of timbered draws and finger ridges is great. Basins with nice meadows at the bottom are really productive too. And when all other terrain fails, I find a long ridge I can hike and glass down both sides and maybe jump into the timber when I get bored or need a break from the wind on the top. If I were going to a new unit, I'd pick maybe 30+ of these terrain features and very quickly narrow it down to most promising and least pressured when I had boots on the ground.

Of course every unit will be unique, but those are the places I have had success.

tburkepa

FNG
As long as you are going the 2nd season, I would also think about getting a mule deer tag. That way the guys that aren't in the best shape and not willing to go back into "elk" territory can also have a shot at game. I've been going to CO for past 18 years and it's been a mixed bag of hunters every time. Some are in good shape (for PA anyways) and can hike well. Others are in whitetail hunting from a tree stand shape and the past few years we've had guys in 70's go. They know their limitations and are willing to sit closer to where we park truck and just like being part of the hunting party.

I also don't count on everyone that says they are going, actually going until they spend the money for the draw in April. My first time going with a party I had 3 guys that were going and couldn't wait for the hunt... Until a month before season and everyone of them backed out. Luckily I found 3 guys that wanted to take their spots and became faithful hunting partners for about the next 10 years until age and family made them take a break from the CO trip.

Unfortunately I may also be looking for a new area as my current Unit 18 and all of my spots are now part of the 15,000 acre east troublesome fire...

OP
U

UpWndFrt

FNG
As long as you are going the 2nd season, I would also think about getting a mule deer tag [...]
Thats a great thought. Only muleys I've seen while on a trip are normally standing on the front lawns of the houses along the street as I drive out. Kinda like the flower girls when you land in Hawaii, except the exact opposite.

My only experience with them was trying to get them to stop eating the flowers when I lived in the Springs, but I imagine there's some limited altitude overlap that they'd both inhabit during the season? Might be more reason to drive a touch further past the divide?

Dammit this was supposed to shortcut the research not make it more involved! I do appreciate all the great ideas though.