Other hunters lying

williaada

WKR
Last night after getting out of the field my brothers and I stopped to get some gas at the local gas station. While filing up the tank another hunter came in to get gas and had a quartered out cow elk on a trailer.

As both trucks were filling up. I asked the hunter what unit he got the elk in, and if he got it last night or during the day. The guy told me he had a type 6 tag and got it in the NF on Sat. But the meat was still warm. Something about his story did not make sense because I pay very close attention to the units and season openings for type 6 tags. When we got back to camp I went over my notes, and realized the unit and seasons did not match, and I did not see a tag on the animal. Not sure if the guy took the animal out of season or shot it else where.

Anyways, the fact the guy lied or poached a cow out is season bugs me when the majority of us do the right thing. Rant over.

Laramie

WKR
Most western states allow the tag to be with the person transporting so it doesn't get lost. Most hunters in western states will just tell you something to avoid being rude... but they are rarely telling you the truth.
Most likely a guy transporting an elk that was openly visible and stopped at a gas station didn't poach it.
Some areas near you are open on forest for the type 6 tags right now. I have a buddy hunting one of them.

You touched another man's meat at a gas station???
Why make me lie by asking?
Only time I'm not lying is if I think you are going to blow the animals out.

I probably would have just shrugged you off for asking and ignored you.
Did u ask to see his wife's tits too?

feanor

WKR
I was hiking up a trail and took a break for food. On the way down were some older ladies from the local town just hiking around. We started chatting, and she proceeded to tell me where three different groups of hunters were heading over the pass (she had chatted with them at length too). She then asked me where I was hunting... If you dont want people to know where you hunt, dont tell them anything.

How long ya gonna be new? You never tell strangers at the gas station where you killed your elk.
Years ago a guy at the gas station saw me in camo. Started telling me to hunt by a place where you can't even hunt.

I was like oh cool for sure.
Then when he saw me with an elk in a truck a while later. He asked if I got it where he told me, then insisted I give him meat. 😂
I said yep right where you said, man. Then left. Ahaha

People just don't get it.

I hate being put in the position of having to lie in the first place. I don't mean to be rude, but I think asking is not good hunting or fishing etiquette. If a stranger asks I'll point in a general direction. Friends know where I hunt and we talk a lot about areas and even specific drainages and saddles. But in general I don't think asking a stranger is proper etiquette nowdays.

I’ve lied to hunters, though my favorite response to “where did you kill that elk?” Is “the Rocky Mountains.”
Where did you shoot that elk: In the mountains.

Where did you shoot that elk: in the chest.

Where do you like to hunt: anywhere I can.

Loads of glib answers that don't give away spots but aren't rude or lying either.