Other hunters lying

NRMike

FNG
I just say "You got a warrant copper? I know my rights, man!"

If it IS the fuzz, " Well certainly officer, right here on this map, and here's my license"

Ha!

I’ve talked to guys who seem like good guys and are in the same area and exchanged minimal information to avoid crowding each other.

But with some others who seem questionable...

I’ve had fun playing really stupid. I was heading out of an area that I didn’t want to draw attention to and unfortunately encountered a couple of guys as I was crossing a logging road. They started asking questions. Something about them set off alarms.

What’d I see? “Unfortunately nothing. Seven years and I only hear them running away. It’s frustrating. Don’t know if I’m going to keep trying.”

Where am I headed? “Over by... “

Hey man, you’re going the wrong way. It’s that way. “Really? (Altering direction) Ha! I should probably think about bringing a map.”

“You’re heading in that way? I was figuring on checking that out later! I want to bring some friends out next year. Maybe I’ll see you.”

My hunting buddies and I have made up names for trails we don't know the real names for. So a lot of times I'll say, i'm not sure where we were, we call it black bear creek trail.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Never give up spots, period. Just don't answer. Learned from my Dad, " never lie, so you never have to remember what you said"

True story ever since my daughter was old enough to fish she knew to tell everyone and anyone that asked where we were fishing and what we were using when cleaning fish and the tables...she would say green pixies at Psag Shak. I would always look at her and roll my eyes. She would always snicker watching the vehicle blow past us while we were fishing another river along the road. Elk hunting is even more secretive...

Scooter37

FNG
I usually feel a friendly fellow hunter at least deserves the right and respect to a polite conversation of a few words. whenever people ask about where I get my deer in CA I’m happy to tell them highways , name, campgrounds and creeks and draws that are loaded with deer. There is a general area I try to send them to that the busier the better. I work all year on selling it to as many folks as possible.

opening morning finds me at a choke point about 10 miles away with deer running by me as hunters start beating the bush from these campgrounds and trails.

if a person thinks a question about hunting spots is awkward, you should feel the tension build when someone asks me where I have been gold panning and prospecting and if I did any good. that’s when things get weird

Gumbo

WKR
I lie. There are two types of hunters out there, those that are killers and those that are not. Thankfully those that are not killers FAR outnumber those that are. Why mess that ratio up by being honest?

KHNC

WKR
I was hiking up a trail and took a break for food. On the way down were some older ladies from the local town just hiking around. We started chatting, and she proceeded to tell me where three different groups of hunters were heading over the pass (she had chatted with them at length too). She then asked me where I was hunting... If you dont want people to know where you hunt, dont tell them anything.
Freakin spotters

My wife said the neighbor asked her where I killed my bull this year she responded with I don’t know where he hunts. Later she asked me where I hunt in case something ever happened so she would know where to send people to look for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep it that way

KNOPHISH

FNG
We’re nonres Mt. hunters and have a good spot in SW Mt. don’t hunt there every year but have for many years with success. My brother says a guy at work is elk hunting Mt. I ask where for more intel? He says our spot, I told em right where to go. WTF facepalm

cgasner1

WKR
We’re nonres Mt. hunters and have a good spot in SW Mt. don’t hunt there every year but have for many years with success. My brother says a guy at work is elk hunting Mt. I ask where for more intel? He says our spot, I told em right where to go. WTF facepalm

It’s “our” spot now sounds like that guy needs to have a accident with a fork lift now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just give you a roundabout answer that doesn't really help with shit. Then make fun of the guy who asked me a stupid question while driving away

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
We were watching the sheep I killed through a big spotter from a public area. A bunch of people were asking what we were looking at. We were in street clothes and I told them we were looking for an eagle nest and that we were wildlife photographers. We never located that nest.

I always like it when I'm cooking wildgame (elk) for friends and people are always inviting themselves to go with you. I had a guy who said he has a buddy that would go with me and that I should call him. Again, someone I've never met and I talked to this new guy for about 5 minutes. I just laughed and told him that I have plenty of hunting friends and don't need anymore.

The best was my brother-in-law who is a piece of work. He's from NY originally, moved to Denver, and became a total bro. I had my sister get a muzzleloader elk tag and I was going to take her. Unbeknownst to any of us and without asking, he applies for 1st Season Rifle. I believe his thinking is that I'd take him too because he had a tag. He soon realizes that I work and also like to hunt for myself and this is not an option. He then decides that he needs to take someone with him because he doesn't know what he's doing and might need help if he killed an elk. The only elk he's ever killed was late season at our place in NM and he had a Ranger to winch it into with my father's help on everything.

My father makes me talk to him and give him some advice. The biggest thing I told him was to not tell anyone where he was hunting and if he killed something to crop pictures. I stressed secrecy more than anything. Who does he take with him? His buddy from Denver who has a brother who is a full-time resident and fishing guide in the same flipping unit he's hunting! WTF.

The good news is that they didn't see any elk and I doubt they'll be back.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Q: “where did you shoot your deer/elk/bear/moose?”

A: “through the vitals”

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with a minister who is so honest it’s ridiculous. I have to chew on him every year not to give up our spots in casual conversation let alone if questioned while taking out meat at the gas station. You might get someone as naive & trusting as my buddy so ask away - anybody with a lick of sense will tell you “some canyon where I was lost the whole time out west of here” or similar.